THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    1st Columbia River Whitetail hunt in 38 years!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1st Columbia River Whitetail hunt in 38 years!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Mark in SC
posted
An outfitter friend called me recently to say that he has 3 tags left for the first legally sanctioned Columbia River Whitetail hunt since before 1967.

The Columbia River Whitetail is considered a whitetail subspecies, similar to the Coues Deer of the southwest. Hunting ceased when they were listed as endangered in 1967; they were de-listed in 2001, and this fall will be the first legal hunt since before 1967.

Safari Club will recognize the Columbia River Whitetail as a subspecies in their record books and the Boone & Crockett Club is considering recognizing them as well.

The outfitter is Craig Augustynovich. His number is 800-458-6539. He has 3 hunts available; one on October 5-8, 2005 and two on October 9-12, 2005.

These are 4 day hunts guided 1x1. There will only be one hunter booked per ranch. The cost is $4,500.00 per hunt with a license fee of $76.00 and a tag fee of $260.00.

NRA, GOA, & SCI Life Member
www.scilowcountry.org

Posts: 692 | Location: South Carolina Lowcountry | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

D. Nelson will be on that hunt this year. Perhaps she will be so kind as write it up for us after the kill.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mark in SC
posted Hide Post
Wrongtarget, thanks for the interesting links about Columbian whitetails.

It sounds like an interesting opportunity for whitetail deer fanatics to add a new subspecies to their collections.

NRA, GOA, & SCI Life Member
www.scilowcountry.org

Posts: 692 | Location: South Carolina Lowcountry | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is this hunt in Washington or Oregon?

Secondly this is the kind of hunting that really sort of bothers me. 3 Tags open for hunts on a ranch that will usually be for someone out of state who can afford the higher fees. Or is this also open to residents not on a guided type trip?

There is also a Sub Species of Whitetail Deer in Douglas County Oregon, ( Roseberg Area) that is in the Fish and Game Book every year that they say to look out for but you are not allowed to take one. Is that part of the same SubSpecies as the Columbia Whitetails?

Of course in NE Washington and Oregon, whitetail deer range into those areas.

Personally I'd recommend a hunt in Northern Minnesota or Wisconsin or the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, for a chance at a tropy Whitetail and a lot more rewarding and exciting hunt, for a lot less of a price tag to boot!

Cheers and good shooting
seafire

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oregon is only giving away 10 Columbia Whitetail tags this year. How is some booking agent getting 3 of them from a draw that we won't know the results of until late June?

Posts: 135 | Location: Southern Oregon | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rogue6:
Oregon is only giving away 10 Columbia Whitetail tags this year. How is some booking agent getting 3 of them from a draw that we won't know the results of until late June?

Mike,

You and I know how they are getting them, it is just nothing the Portland Fish & Game crowd will ever publically admit too. After all, there is them and then the rest of us peasants in the hinterlands.

seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark;

If I'm successful I'll be happy to recount my upcoming Columbia Whitetail hunt. Wink If I'm not, I'll try to avoid posting my recount.

I'm booked for October 8-12th!

As a side note, while hunting Columbian Blacktail for the last 3 years, I've had to avoid taking one of the many Whitetails I came across. This year will be pay back time!!

Regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
Is this hunt in Washington or Oregon?

Secondly this is the kind of hunting that really sort of bothers me. 3 Tags open for hunts on a ranch that will usually be for someone out of state who can afford the higher fees. Or is this also open to residents not on a guided type trip?

There is also a Sub Species of Whitetail Deer in Douglas County Oregon, ( Roseberg Area) that is in the Fish and Game Book every year that they say to look out for but you are not allowed to take one. Is that part of the same SubSpecies as the Columbia Whitetails?

Of course in NE Washington and Oregon, whitetail deer range into those areas.

Personally I'd recommend a hunt in Northern Minnesota or Wisconsin or the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, for a chance at a tropy Whitetail and a lot more rewarding and exciting hunt, for a lot less of a price tag to boot!

Cheers and good shooting
seafire

Seafire

Same deer. They run from appr. Roseburg up the valley to the Columbia. East up the Columbia to about the Dalles and west to the big Sea. North up the WA Coast past Willipa Bay.

I thought there were quite a view between Roseburg and Eugene and along the Columbia.

Why would anybody need an Outfitter? It is mostly Public Land. Just for the Landowner Permits? There are none in WA.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote