New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vari-X III 4.5-14 x 40 Fine Plex
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have the chance to buy a new-in-box (never mounted) Leupold Vari-X III scope, matte finish, fine duplex reticle, 40 mm objective for ~$490. This is $40-50 cheaper than anything I can find for this scope.

My question is: what do I need this scope for? I live in West Virginia and don't hunt varmints much. Shots at whitetails around here are usually less than 100 yards. This is a very cool scope. Would it be a good choice for a long-range rifle (338-404 or 338 Lapua), or is there a better choice for that project?

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of woodseye
posted Hide Post
You can buy a brand new cellophane wrapped one from D&R Sports for $430 and shipping.I got one I'll sell you for same price in mint as new condition.I think its more scope power than you need and would be better for varmints and or long range shooting.The fine reticle will not show up in dawn or dusk woods settings too well either.

woods

Posts: 672 | Location: Northern Border Country | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I put that scope on my .300rum. Great scope for long range paper punching and hunting. As far as the fine duplex, I have heavy and fine reticles on my rifles and haven't noticed any difficulty with the fine duplex for hunting. Additionally for paper I rather use the fine duplex. For the magnification, the scope's size and wt is very manageable in the field.
Most of my rifles wear 3.5x10x40mm Leups
Steve

Posts: 81 | Location: nebr. usa | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried a 4.5-14 Vari-X III on a 7mm STW, thinking it would make a good long range combination. That power is just too high to be practical on a game rifle. Although the Leupold has the most forgiving eye relief and placement range of any of the manufacturers, you will find the scope "slow" to use for hunting purposes. I pulled it off and replaced it with a 3-9, which I find much more appropriate (and there's nothing I'd shoot with a 7mm STW that I can't see just fine at 9X at any distance). Save that scope for a varmint rifle.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
I tried a 4.5-14 Vari-X III on a 7mm STW, thinking it would make a good long range combination.

Hmmmm, me too. I really like mine and it's still on top of my 7STW, likely always will be.

H. C.,

$490 is waaay too much for that scope. Shop around a bit.

Posts: 192 | Location: Mills County, Ioway | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of woodseye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Although the Leupold has the most forgiving eye relief and placement range of any of the manufacturers, you will find the scope "slow" to use for hunting purposes. I pulled it
This is exactly what I have found also.A little eye position critical and a hard to find reticle in dark woods situations compared to the standard plex.I want to move mine to a varmint/paper punching rig or sell it and replace with a 3.5x10 scope.

woods

Posts: 672 | Location: Northern Border Country | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
<slymule>
posted
Woodseye,
I have an idea - since you don't like yours cause its too slow, the eye position is too critical, and the reticle is too fine - why don't we trade! I have a 3.5x10 I would gladly trade you for your 4.5x14. I have to go along with Muleshoe - I'll never part with my 4.5x14 and I'd surely love to own another. I am VERY SERIOUS regarding a trade. My 3.5x10 currently sits on my .270 and works perfectly, so lets do it! [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of woodseye
posted Hide Post
I'll do it in a heartbeat,just one thing,I want another 3.5x10x44 Conquest not a Leupold Vari X lll.I have a Leupold Vari X lll 3.5x10 already and want at this point to trade my 4.5x14 for, or sell and turn into cash to buy, a Conquest scope.If ya really like them 4.5x14x40 AO's get a Conquest and we'll trade.Or wave $425 at me and we got a deal.I usually have to sell one scope to get another so lets talk.

woods