New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colorado Mule Deer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have 18 points for deer in Colorado. Any ideas on units and an outfitter.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
resident or nonresident?

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With that many points you have the pick of the state!
I'd suggest you contact CPW and study the points/draw booklet online or: They'll send you one n/c.
I just got mine last month as part of the subscription to CO Outdoors mag. Some good articles in it too. Only $12 a yr I think.

Good luck, and more advice, pick an area that has the longest season, which should be about 9 days in all. They all start on Saturday.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you may want to talk to Aaron Neilson who posts here. He knows Colorado deer hunting.

Posts: 10378 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
resident or nonresident?

Nonresident--- I'm looking at 3rd season in 44 or 4th season in 53.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Any unit you pick should be a 4th season in my opinion, shorter season but you have the chance of hunting rutting bucks and that brings the big boys out.
Do your homework there are a handful of units you can draw with 18 points.
And as suggested talk to Aaron Nielsen and Drummond Lindsay.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bama15:
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
resident or nonresident?

Nonresident--- I'm looking at 3rd season in 44 or 4th season in 53.

Of these I'd do 44 3rd. 9 days in mid November in some of the best mule deer country God ever made.... No brainer

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I would look at 4th season, too, simply because of the rut. The season is shorter than 3rd, but it moves you into the rut and a better chance of colder weather.

I think you're in the right units ... 53, 54 and 44.

Graybird

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Third season in 2016 is essentially what 4th season was in 2015. The season dates are the latest this year than they'll be in 5 years. I'll take 9 days in 44 vs 5 days somewhere else even though you get the later week.

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
44 third season last year 18pts 100% 4 tags
53 fourth season last year 18pts 100% 2 tags non-resident

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
Tanzania 2024
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, I just hope the spring is not bad.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are a resident take a look at some of the 'wildlife ranching' options on the eastern part of the state.
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drummondlindsey:
Third season in 2016 is essentially what 4th season was in 2015. The season dates are the latest this year than they'll be in 5 years. I'll take 9 days in 44 vs 5 days somewhere else even though you get the later week.

Good point Drummond, I hadn't looked at it that way.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
quote:
Originally posted by drummondlindsey:

Good point Drummond, I hadn't looked at it that way.

I don't know how the 3rd season will pan out this year, but last year the rut was really picking up on the final weekend of the 3rd season. This year the 3rd season starts on November 5th. Last year I saw the bucks start bothering the does on Nov 5th. This year looks pretty promising....

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Bad moon phase for 3rd and 4th this year

With the exception of the final 2 days of 3rd

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

Ted,
Can you explain?

Last year the moon was waning during the 3rd season and the new moon arrived two days after the season ended.

This year the moon is waxing during the 3rd season with the full moon arriving the day after the season ends.

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand the 3rd season in 44 can be weather dependent, not so much in 53 for the fourth.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

Ted,
Can you explain?

Last year the moon was waning during the 3rd season and the new moon arrived two days after the season ended.

This year the moon is waxing during the 3rd season with the full moon arriving the day after the season ends.

I look at charts each year with Missouri whitetail deer activity in mind.

I look for days with 2 prime daylight moon phases.

One being overhead and the other being underfoot during shooting hours as the best most productive days in that moon's cycle.

I will note that during the rut high activity can be around the clock.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
These images are for middle state Colorado

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ted:

Ok, this is good to know about Missouri whitetails. How does it relate to Colorado Muleys?

I haven't hunted recently enough, so they've stopped sending me the booklets. What are this years season dates?

Thank you,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
I haven't hunted recently enough, so they've stopped sending me the booklets. What are this years season dates?

Thank you,
George

Third season in Co is Nov 5-13.

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am looking at going with Jerad Cotten, West Elk Outfitters. Does anybody know anything about him?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bama15:
I am looking at going with Jerad Cotten, West Elk Outfitters. Does anybody know anything about him?

He's the only guy to go with in 53 and I almost mentioned him earlier.

I would still hunt 44 3rd but if you want to hire somebody Jerad has a great track record and he damn sure knows 53 well

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Ted:

Ok, this is good to know about Missouri whitetails. How does it relate to Colorado Muleys?

Thank you,
George

If you would have read Ted's post, you would have comprehended that the information he gave was for central Colorado. Secondly, if you haven't been mailed, or picked up, a recent Colorado Big Game Regulations Brochure, then why in the hell do you care? This tells me that you haven't applied for a Colorado big game license in quite some time.

Graybird