THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    What's wrong with crossbows during rifle season?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's wrong with crossbows during rifle season?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Now I know there are a lot of people against crossbow use during general archery season (and I agree with them to a point),but there seems to be an equal amount opposed to crossbows being used during general rifle season.

Why this is,I'll never know.A good crossbow shot with an ultra-modern piece like the Barnett Quad 300 or some of the various Hortons that shot well over 300 FPS,can take deer out to 80 yards....maybe.60 yards is more like,and 40 yards is much more realistic.As you can see,the x-bow has no advantage over even a flintlock muzzeloader.

And I'll stop a lot of you in your tracks right now-no,the x-bow is not the poacher's pet.I did a bit of research,and the percentage of game crimes (such as poaching or spot lighting)commited with both vertical bows and x-bows was only 2%.Considering how many vertical bow users there are,the percentage of poachers using x-bows is probibly down around 1/2 percent.

I see nothing wrong with a hunter using a crossbow during rifle season.Heck,I might even try it out if I get one of my two bucks early this year.Seems like it would be fun to use.

------------------
I'm out to wrong rights,depress the opressed,and generaly make an ass of myself!

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brian

I don't know where you got your info, but anyone that tries to kill a big game animal at 60 to 80 yards with a crossbow is just plain stupid!

I hunt with a crossbow and I would never shoot over 35 yards. Sure, crossbows will shoot close to 300 FPS, so will modern compound bows....and they do it with a heavier arrow!

A crossbow is not any more accurate or any faster than a good modern compound bow, they are much louder, they weigh more, they don't shoot any flatter and they are much more clumsy to carry and shoot. The ONLY advantage they have over modern compounds is that they don't have to be drawn and manually held when the game shows up. PERIOD!

Your misconception is very common, but the fact is, a crossbow has no performance advantage over a good compound!

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GonHunting,
Re-read what I wrote,second paragraph.Deer have been taken out to 115 yards with a crossbow,but that's kind of like a 600 yard rifle shot.40 yards is much more realistic.

And you are right,a crossbow has no ballistic advantage over any fairly modern compound.

------------------
I'm out to wrong rights,depress the opressed,and generaly make an ass of myself!

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
115 yards with a crossbow is more like 1000 yards with a rilfe. I will shoot 600 yards at varmint if I know my setup is right. I would never try to shoot an animal at 100yds with any type of bow, because none are up to it.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In Missouri if you want to hunt with a crossbow you have to do it during firearms season. I have no objection to someone using a crossbow during the firearm or bow season.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote