New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem. 700 35 Whelen
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Rem. 700 CDL in 35 Whelen that has been sitting on the rack for 3 months now. Since I havn't had time to work up a load for it yet I picked up a box of Rem. 200 gr. factory loads to try it out. While accuracy with this load is sub par, I did find one thing I really like. The Limbsaver recoil pad they put on this gun is great. It was much more pleasant to shoot than my 30/06 ever was. I need to get some more of those pads. I topped the gun with a Bushnell Legend 2x7x32 which looks nice on the gun. Not to heavey or bulky. I have some 200 gr. Hornady SP to try out soon I hope. The factory Rem. would only do 2.5- 2.75" groups at 100 yards off rock solid sand bags.

Good shooting,
Greg

Posts: 117 | Location: Wisconsin , USA | Registered: 07 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report Greg. I was wondering how those factory Limbsaver pads worked. I'm sure accuracy can be much better than what you are getting now.

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a sweetheart! I too am sold on Limbsaver pads, the best recoil reducing pads Ive ever seen bar-none.

The Legend scopes are a great value, mine will be resting on my 06 very soon. (the 06 with a Limbsaver pad.) Big Grin

Try some 225 gn BT's for that Whelen with a charge of Rlr 15. It is a much stoouter bullet then they get credit for. They named that bullet "the Whelen" for a reason. The only bt Nosler has bothered to name at all.

For deer I use a 200 gn Hornady interlock @ 2800 fs.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought my CDL 35whelen about 3 months ago and love it. Should have bought one years ago! I'm shooting 225gr TSX at 2575fps with a little over book max load of IMR 4064. BTW I'm getting real good groups with mine.

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a 700 30-06 a while back that some, apparently short, guy, had cut the stock down by a inch or two. i put one of those limbsaver pads on just to extend the stock, wow, it almost does away with the recoil, I am really impressed.
I really want a .35 Whelen one of these days, I just keep finding other stuff I want too Big Grin

DGK

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote