THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: 165 gr. Nosler Ballistic tip for Elk in a 300 WM

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 165 gr. Nosler Ballistic tip for Elk in a 300 WM
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have killed 8 elk and 2 moose with 180gr ballistic tips out of my 300ultramags,but the 165gr ballistic tips have much thinner jackets and are much softer.I would either go with a heavier bullet or a controlled expansion bullet in the same weight.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Was the guy too lazy to walk over and finish the job?

Too lazy? Not sure, but by the time he walked up on it, it was not moving but it's head was still up. I cannot answer why he didn't go ahead and shoot it again. I personally would have put another in it asap.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

those tin-foil BTs pushed to 2800 plus might just ruin your day. Even the manufacturer recommends Partitions, but I guess they are wrong too. jorge

I see that one of the usual suspects has appeared.What took you so long?By the way the ballistic tips that I use have lead cores and guilding metal jackets with polycarbonate tips,no tinfoil used.If your ballistic tips are constructed of tinfoil,I can certainly understand your problem.Yes the manufacturer does recommend partitions for large game.Then again Nosler did seriously strengthen up the 180gr ballistic tip just over two years ago according to Barsness.Why do you suppose that they did that?It certainly wasn't for target shooting.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
Okay Doc, I'll bite. Given the modern bow and arrow vs. the firearm, the arrow,tipped with broadhead or field-tip, will out penetrate a bullet.

I also prefer two loads for my rifles and lean towards the heavy for caliber bullet weights.

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
YEAAA! DING DING DING DING.

Don't get me wrong. I love my guns and loads, always will, but I sure like bowhunting too.

I'm a 2 load gun myself. and I USUALLY like bigger bullets per caliber.

In fact, check this out. I NEVER EVEN PUT A 130 GRAIN BULLET THROUGH A 270 UNTIL THE TSX CAME OUT. I never shot a 150 bullet in a 30.06 in MY gun.

I never shot a 150 grain bullet in my .308.

The one exception to my own so called 'rule' was with my 7mag. I did buy a bunch of 140 btips back when you could get them in the box of 100 at a store in Iowa that was going out of business. I bought each box for $7.00. So I bought all they had which was 300 bullets.

I did use this bullet on God knows how many deer in Alabama, 3 or 4 Does in Missouri. It did just fine. Most shots were under 50 yards.

I caved in when the TSX came out. For me, the 270 has just been my favorite caliber for years. I figured the toughness of the TSX in 130 would be fine. It was, and is. Before I even bought the first box, I called Barnes and asked if they'd be coming out with a 150...my typical bullet wt for the 270. They said NO. Because the bullets are long for their wt. They said the 140 looks like it will be the biggest .277 bullet wt in TSX.

And thus, with my experience, there's no need for a bigger .277 TSX. The 130 does JUST fine.

BUT I SURE AS HECK LIKE MY 30.06/168TSX COMBO!!! I think it is my new favorite gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

you are not one to let the facts het in the way of the truth. jorge

The facts are

300ultramag-180gr ballistic tip

8 elk 2 moose no bullet failures

7mmstw-140gr ballitic tip

approx 20 head of game(deer,pronghorn,bighorn)

no bullet failures

257wby-100gr ballistic tip

approx 10 head of game(deer,pronghorn)

no bullet failure

No game lost with any of the bullets listed.

Those are facts.

I do choose my shots and avoid certain angles(more people could learn to do this as well)but the fact is that ballistic tips have worked for me.I have never said that they penetrated as well as partitions or other premium bullets but they have done the job.

As far as Chuck Nelson(another one of the usual suspects) not liking my choice of barrelmakers or gun builders,I haven't heard of many problems with kreiger,schneider,pac-nor,hart or gaillard barrels or mcmillan stocks-have you?

I have also not heard complaints about prairiegun works or rocky mountain rifles.Their customers seem very happy with their rifles?

As far as using Barnsness as a reference for my reply to Jorge,I only did so because Jorge seems to value his opinion so he won't dispute his information.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Quote:

In addition to retained energy, I'd choose the bullet with about 25% less wind drift, allowing me to place it more accurately. Solid copper internal construction can't make up for lack of weight and the resulting loss of BC.

You're forgetting time of flight. The lighter bullet has less air time which also is a factor in wind drift.

I personally tested this on a property where I can shoot 800 yards if I choose since I've read so many times about it. I decided to see exactly what MY rifles would do.

I had an oblique head/cross wind (ie, if I was shooting at 12 o'clock, the wind was from 2 o'clock). Wind was about 10 mph (according to weatherman) and it was COLD.

I shot 165 Ballistic tips and 200 Accubonds from my 300 RUM. From a 2" high zero at 100 yards for both, the 200 bullet was only 2.3" to the left and the 165's were 3.1" to the left at 425 yards. Hardly enough to argue the point in my opinion. However, both having a tight group at 100 yards (both 1/2" for 4 shots), the Accubonds did remain the tightest group but only by 1". In addition, the Accubonds still 'cloverleafed' at longer range as where the 165 Btip sort of 'stacked' even though it was a cloverleaf at 100.

When we got to Colorado, my brother and I tested our 4 firearms behind Adam's house. We were able to shoot 280 yards. He brought a 300 SAUM with 180 Btips over Varget, factory Remington with 24" barrel.

He also brought his custom Rem. 270 (25.5" PacNor barrel) shooting 130 TSX bullets over 57.0 Re19.

I brought my 300 RUM with 200 Accubonds (28" barrel: Shilen) and a Rem 270 with 140 Accubonds (24" Broughton-Richards barrel).

We also had an oblique wind there too while testing. The results were as follows:

300 RUM: NO BULLET drift.

300 SAUM: 1" bullet drift

270 with 130 TSX: NO BULLET DRIFT

270 with 140 Accubond: 2" bullet drift.

When in Kansas 2 years ago, a friend brought his 300 Win mag and his 243. The 300 was shooting factory 200 A frames and I loaded up some 100 Speer Grand Slams for the 243.

When we shot there we had a very strong crosswind. The 300/200 bullet drifted 3" at 275 (farthest we could shoot in my father in laws backyard), and the 243 didn't even hit the target. Those bullets drifted over 9". What I would have liked to see at that time was what a tiny 70 or even 85 grain bullet would have done.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Well, just out of curiosity, does anyone know why Nosler never made a 200 grain 30 cal Btip??

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

You're forgetting time of flight.

No, I'm not. That's taking reduced time of flight into account. The reduced time of flight does not make up for the significantly lower BC.
Quote:

I shot 165 Ballistic tips and 200 Accubonds from my 300 RUM.

The 165 Ballistic Tips have a much higher BC than the 168 TSX's so they'll do better.
Quote:

Hardly enough to argue the point in my opinion.

The wind is too hard to judge to even correct for it perfectly, much less judge it's exactly the same for an extended peroid of time such that you can consider it a constant for every shot in a controlled experiment.

Quote:

the Accubonds did remain the tightest group but only by 1". In addition, the Accubonds still 'cloverleafed' at longer range as where the 165 Btip sort of 'stacked' even though it was a cloverleaf at 100.

That's the key. That's how you should judge your results. In the end, that's all that matters--which bullet is more precise at those ranges under those conditions.

Measuring actual wind drift is virtually impossible. But simply being able to hit much more easily in the wind at long range with heavier, higher BC bullets is something that's very easy to notice for me. It's just easier. I'm more accurate. If you want to witness an even larger contrast, load up some 240 SMK's. They're a noticable step up from the 200 AccuBond from about 500 on. And yes, that's even at a lower velocity.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Measuring actual wind drift is virtually impossible. But simply being able to hit much more easily in the wind at long range with heavier, higher BC bullets is something that's very easy to notice for me.

Yep, you're right. However, I shot with the given conditions, and from what I remember, I always pulled the trigger while there was a breeze. Not stating all shots were under exact conditions. That is a no brainer. Impossible if shooting outdoors.

Nevertheless, with my shots that day, I would have hit any animal in the kill zone. And any shot would have been only a few mere inches from my point of aim.

Also, regarding the Btip vs. the TSX. Don't the BC's vary with velocity? If I was shooting a very very accurate hot load with the TSX, say at about 3400 and the best I could do with a tight grouping Btip was a minimum powder charge and a velocity of say 3180, do you still think the btip would 'do better' because it has a higher 'published' BC? I don't know if it would or not. I'm not a ballistician. In fact, I'm just a plain vanilla reloader that strives for tight groups and goes huntin'. I've been lucky I guess. I've only lost one animal in 14 years of rifle hunting and using my own loads.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I have also not heard complaints about prairiegun works or rocky mountain rifles.Their customers seem very happy with their rifles?

Count me as one dissatisfied customer with Rocky Mountain rifles twice over and you might have to wait in line in the complaint department when it comes to PGW. Unless of course you don't mind dealing with common criminals.

Also, I see you have inserted the old noodle back into the beach regarding ballistic tips, and oh yea, what is your game experience with both Barnes and the Fail Safe, in regard to the wound channel they create. Since we all know you speak from nothing but personal experience, I'd like to know what observations you've made.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

If I was shooting a very very accurate hot load with the TSX, say at about 3400 and the best I could do with a tight grouping Btip was a minimum powder charge and a velocity of say 3180, do you still think the btip would 'do better' because it has a higher 'published' BC?

If the same weight, no (at least not until really long range) because their actual BC's aren't different enough to make up for that much velocity difference over the short haul. But if comparing a lighter TSX to a heavier BT/AB (or any of the other plasic pointed bullets) as is the arguement here, yes.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Maybe you should call them and correct them.

Why would they change it when they can continue to fool people and sell more bullets by exaggerating?
Quote:

While your at it, tell them why your data is much more accurate than theirs.

Because first of all, they don't use data for the TSX's. They say they're "close enough" to use the XBT's BC's. Uhm, they changed from a sharp secant ogive to a more rounded tangent ogive and made the meplat larger. Study ballistics and bullet design for a while until you figure out what that does to a BC. Not to mention the XBT's advertised BC's being inflated in the first place.

one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
Any TSX of the same weight with have a higher BC than any Nosler B-tip. This is due to the increased length of the TSX due to it's solid construction(no having any lead). Any two bullets that are the same weight, that have the same profile, and same diameter, but different lengths........the one that is longer will have the higher B.C. Period. Provided everything else is equal.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
OH, OK.

Well, if you read my past posts in various threads, you'd see that I do use the 200 Accub. in my 300 RUM. ...for the reasons you state.

But, still, given what happened to me here in Ohio and in Colorado, BC and bullet weight didn't mean squat.

Hey...have you ever posted over at longrangehunting???

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Any TSX of the same weight with have a higher BC than any Nosler B-tip. This is due to the increased length of the TSX due to it's solid construction(no having any lead). Any two bullets that are the same weight, that have the same profile, and same diameter, but different lengths........the one that is longer will have the higher B.C. Period. Provided everything else is equal.

Common misconception and a completely false one. Tell me why? Tell me how large a component of the form factor skin drag is and why increasing it gives the bullet a better BC.

one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
The thing is the b-tip doesn't have a higher posted BC. The tsx does. The BC does increase with velocity, but the posted BC is usually attatined with a fairly low velocity. Her is a listing from Sierra showing the BC rating of 168 gr. smk's.

.462 @ 2600 fps and above
.447 between 2600 and 2100 fps
.424 between 2100 and 1600 fps
.405 @ 1600 fps and below

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
Maybe you should call them and correct them. While your at it, tell them why your data is much more accurate than theirs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

what is your game experience with both Barnes and the Fail Safe, in regard to the wound channel they create. Since we all know you speak from nothing but personal experience, I'd like to know what observations you've made.

I have hunted with people that use them and have seen the results first hand.As I said previously I only have experience with one bore size of each.I have also used both in my own rifles for testing,but not on game.

Quote:

Count me as one dissatisfied customer with Rocky Mountain rifles twice over

As miserable as you are,who could make you happy.You had even stated that you had made your last post on this site awhile ago.What happened?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stubblejumper, you're advice is shallow and based on a lot of nothing. If you would like me to get into details of my not so wonderful experience with RMR I'd be more than happy too. I've refrained in the past, but if you'd like to call me out, I'll be more than happy to oblige.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Well, whoever it was, they responded by telling me that:

"I find it very bold of you to..."

I felt bad.

Regardless, I knew that the Scirocco had a good shape.

<allen day>
posted
All I can say is, if anyone thinks that a good, solidly-built, dependable, controlled-expansion premium bullet like the Nosler Partition 180 gr. or 200 gr. spitzer can't cut it for accuracy at long range, they're as full of gooseberry stuffing as a Xmas turkey.

When it comes to elk hunting, bullet construction counts for more than paper accuracy EVERY time.....

AD

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
All I can say is that I've had better experiences with partitions than with Sierras in terms of accuracy.

one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
Then I have a question. If you take two of any type of bullet(b-tips) for example. A 180gr. and a 200gr. The 200gr. will always have the higher BC. Is you your contention that this is ONLY because of the extra weight and not the increased length? It may be, I really don't know, but tell me why.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Quote:

That's the key. That's how you should judge your results. In the end, that's all that matters--which bullet is more precise at those ranges under those conditions.

I do. That is why I usually shoot big bullets per caliber.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Was this you?

I don't know. I've "educated" quite a few people on what a BC is, how it's determined, why weight/sectional density is so important and why making something from pure copper doesn't make it "magic" over the years. It's hard to keep track.

I can tell you the Scirroco has a much more efficient shape than the TSX could ever dream of (even better than the Noslers'). If you measure their ogives (the Hornadies are similar as well) you'll see why.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Hey...have you ever posted over at longrangehunting???

Yup.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I think I may have pissed you off over there a long time ago by posted 'published' BC's vs. your 'tested' BC's for a couple of bullets. OOPS.

Even though I was in agreement with a doc friend of mine from Germany who's testing pretty much was on par with 'published' BC's for those bullets.

One of them was a scirocco, I can't remember what the other was. Was this you?

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Dare I mention just how many whitetails I've dropped with them from my 270 alone? My brother as well?

Trust me WE were IGNORANT.

Our standard load was 150 Btips over max IMR4831 in our 270's. And most shots in Alabanana were bowhunting range. OOPS.

However, I sure do like those TSX's. Have I mentioned that anywhere on these forums yet?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Dare I mention just how many whitetails I've dropped with them from my 270 alone? My brother as well?

Trust me WE were IGNORANT.

Our standard load was 150 Btips over max IMR4831 in our 270's. And most shots in Alabanana were bowhunting range. OOPS.

Apparently the animals were ignorant too since they died so quickly after being shot with ballistic tips.Imagine what would have happened if the animals had known that ballistic tips aren't supposed to be able to kill them.

As I said earlier,I have heard such great things about the tsx's that I am going to test them next spring.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Hey, you guys aren't neighbors are you? Both from Alberta?

one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The 165 Ballistic Tips have a much higher BC than the 168 TSX's so they'll do better.

Actually they don't. 168 tsx has a BC of .476. The 165 NBT's have a BC of .475.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Actually they don't.

Actually they do. Barnes lies.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Because they shoot much more accurately in my rifles and after all bullet placement is the number one factor in obtaining clean kills.

I tried to tell you your gunsmith wasn't up to much. Didn't I? Looks like we've come full circle. Now, let us know what kind of optics you prefer. LOL

Chuck

one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
A quote from Lost River Ballistic Technologies who makes some of the highest BC bullets around.

"Our bullets are longer simply to help them fly better. When you think of bullets, think about an airplane. Over the years, people have been working on the aerodynamics of the airplane to make them fly faster and farther. Bullets are much like an airplane; the more aerodynamic, the faster and straighter the a bullet flies. The conventional bullet manufacturing process limits the bullet's aerodynamic efficiency. The Lost River Ballistic Technologies bullets are manufactured in such a way that they are not limited in their aerodynamic ability. Therefore, their flight characteristics allow maximum distance, maximum accuracy and maximum speed. By increasing the bullets ability to cut through the air it inherently makes the bullets longer. Due to the reduced drag, our bullets are able to fly farther and maintain their speed over longer distances. This reduction in drag minimizes the effects of wind, gravity and other climatic conditions on the performance of the bullet in flight."

I understand that most of this extra length is due to steamlining the front of the bullet, but I don't think you can argue that extra length can hurt Bc's. Their 180 gr. .308 bullets have a BC of .672.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

you're advice is shallow and based on a lot of nothing

Like yours usually is?

Quote:

but if you'd like to call me out, I'll be more than happy to oblige.

I was really hoping that you were serious when you said that you were leaving this forum.That would have made me happy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The 200gr. will always have the higher BC. Is you your contention that this is ONLY because of the extra weight and not the increased length?

Yes. This is because for a given form factor the BC is directly proportional to the sectional density, which is directly proportional to weight for a given caliber.

When you break it down further both bullets have the same force of drag acting upon them. Since acceleration = force/mass this same force of drag won't slow the heavier bullet down as quickly. In other words, the heavier bullet retains its velocity better even with the same force of drag acting upon it. BC is just a number that describes the rate of decay of velocity.