Find
Notify
Tools

bobcat or dog?
 Login/Join

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted
Sorry the IR pic isn't better, but what's your best guess?

Dog or bobcat?

Doesn't look like a coyote to me...

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
I don't know but it looks like a big ole whitefaced Muley in the background. What's the story?

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
bobcat based on the stride

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
bobcat based on the stride

+1

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
Best way to tell is to look at the track. Its har to tell by the picture, the joints on cats are lower than what is shown, and the body is also oddly shaped for a cat.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a smaller dog behind it.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
My first reaction was dog.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brittney Spaniel?

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
You guys don't know squat...how dare you question me...I worked at the NRO for 15 years...I found the the WMDs in Iraq...they are there and you know it...

How many images have you analyzed huh...my Dad was doing IR analysis before it was invented...

Just practicing, isn't that how I am supposed to react when there is an opinion different than mine...now bring on the 300 Win Mag vs 300 WSM thread now that I am all warmed up...

jumping

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
You guys don't know squat...how dare you question me...I worked at the NRO for 15 years...I found the the WMDs in Iraq...they are there and you know it...

How many images have you analyzed huh...my Dad was doing IR analysis before it was invented...

Just practicing, isn't that how I am supposed to react when there is an opinion different than mine...now bring on the 300 Win Mag vs 300 WSM thread now that I am all warmed up...

jumping

Yup, you sound like quite a few here. Need a bit more stress though. Maybe I should give you crap by saying something obnoxious first. Oh well. Again, the tracks tell all.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where was the camera? In an area that would have little or no dog traffic, I would certainly guess bobcat.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I blew it up.enlarged it,adjusted the contrast,etc,and still inconclusive.However,I didnt see evidence of a tail.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
California?.....maybe it's Jesus.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a pointer with a docked tail like a whimeramer or visula (for give my spelling)or maybe a doberman.

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
I just looked again here on my computer, (first time was on my iphone), still think it COULD be a bobcat, whoever said a pointer of some sort (with docked tail) may be right though.

*Mike given all you have learned on AR I can't imagine someone would even dare question you. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
Could be a pig.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Looks like a bobcat to me. I guess it could be a pointer returning home after an all niter with the neighbor’s bitch beagle. Wink

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
Proportionally, the thigh looks way to thick as well as too short for a pointer. Many pointers also slope "downhill" towards the tail, this animal looks almost level. Looks very much like a bobcat to me - compare the pose to this pic:

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can oy look on my iPhone so I don't have the luxury if a large computer screen. Am I seeing things or is that a Muley in the background just to the left of the tree. Been hunting them all week and have mule deer in the brain.

Also, I vote bobcat just by the looks of it

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
The daylight photo below will give you some perspective. I didn't think of posting that until you found deer in my photos (there are no deer on this place - just hogs.)

One farm house w/in a 1/2 mile or so (that's not it in the background), but I would think that most well-fed "porch dogs" would be asleep at that hour of the morning.

My guess was a bobcat, but I was curious what you guys thought.

I think the legs are too long and the body too thin to be a hog.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 14 December 2009 03:49 Hide Post
California?.....maybe it's Jesus.
space

I concur...the end is near! popcorn

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drummondlindsey:
I can oy look on my iPhone so I don't have the luxury if a large computer screen. Am I seeing things or is that a Muley in the background just to the left of the tree. Been hunting them all week and have mule deer in the brain.

Also, I vote bobcat just by the looks of it

The deer you see is the bottom part of the feeder.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that daylight pic, I would have bet money that what I saw in the background was a deer. Oops!

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I think either bobcat,coyote ,or small hog.After further review,there could be a tail.Facing right,head down sniffing base of tree,tail to left.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it’s a Bobcat but I bet there is someone in NY that thinks it’s a Lynx. beer

Posts: 396 | Location: CA | Registered: 23 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys - Let me start off slow and easy about the picture posted by Erict of "near Albany,NY". I am a New Yorker. I have seen (in my youth)real bobcats in the Adiroundacks and along the Androscoggin river in NH. Bob cats have round ears and ROUND eyes. There is no tail -hence the name. Bobcats are not found in Canada -where lynx are found. (In fact, at the American Constitutional Convention back in 1787, there were proposals to adopt the American bobcat as our national emblem -because he was so strictly an American animal. (I kinda wish it had happened) I have a feeling that many Americans are calling the lynx a bobcat -including Americans as far south as Texas. The picture by Erict is a lynx. (See the eyes? Ever hear the expression "lynx eyed"?) Bobs have become extremely rare across their range over the last 50 years and more. Even lynx in the north have decreased in numbers drastically. (I had a bear guide in north Ontario,who also had a trapping business, tell me over 15 years ago that he had not seen a lynx in some 5 years -and he was an experienced woodsman)Too bad. Both are fascinating critters.

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerrypeters375:
Guys - Let me start off slow and easy about the picture posted by Erict of "near Albany,NY". I am a New Yorker. I have seen (in my youth)real bobcats in the Adiroundacks and along the Androscoggin river in NH. Bob cats have round ears and ROUND eyes. There is no tail -hence the name. Bobcats are not found in Canada -where lynx are found. (In fact, at the American Constitutional Convention back in 1787, there were proposals to adopt the American bobcat as our national emblem -because he was so strictly an American animal. (I kinda wish it had happened) I have a feeling that many Americans are calling the lynx a bobcat -including Americans as far south as Texas. The picture by Erict is a lynx. (See the eyes? Ever hear the expression "lynx eyed"?) Bobs have become extremely rare across their range over the last 50 years and more. Even lynx in the north have decreased in numbers drastically. (I had a bear guide in north Ontario,who also had a trapping business, tell me over 15 years ago that he had not seen a lynx in some 5 years -and he was an experienced woodsman)Too bad. Both are fascinating critters.

Sorry, no cigar. Wink

That photo is not a lynx; it's a bobcat. It has none of the features of a lynx, and the tail is exactly the lenght of most bobcats.

Besides, you obviously failed to read the photo credit. The photo was taken in AZ at the Imperial Wildlife Refuge which is next to the Colorado River betwen AZ and CA. We don't have any lynx here, and there certainly aren't any in TX. In fact, lynx are rare anywhere in the lower 48 states, even as several western ones are in the process of reintroducing them.

Lastly, "bobs" are far from rare, especially in the Southwest. The varmint hunters here kill hundreds per year.

Here are a couple lynx photos; note the heavily tufted ears and overly large feet.

These are other "Arizona lynx" in my trophy room:

Rug on wall at right:

one of us
posted Hide Post
And here are a couple of an "AZ lynx" on the hoof, so to speak. Note the tail in the 2nd photo.

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
bobcat

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
It is a dog named Bob.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not re-position the camera closer to that spot or put a second one out? Also try leaving it out longer. When we left a trail cam out two weeks in one spot we got more than one pic of the same cat and the same buck.

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
maybe put a dish of cat food out... it wills top a dog or a cat... hell, the deer would eat it, too!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My vote goes for an alien (legal/illegal- I don't know) and UFO.
Why not? The photo quality is pretty much the same.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
I spent a couple of hours researching on Google earlier today, and this is positively a Chupacabra.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Arizona Writer:

Despite your user name I have to to rely on my own first hand experience in looking at a bob in the wild on some three or four occasions before most of the posters were even born. Therefore, as gentlemen, let's just agree to disagree. Smiler (Any possibility of hybrids since I last saw a bob -some 50 years ago or more? Because I just don't see how anyone could mistake a lynx for a bob - even apart from the different "legginess" of the two cats. Since everyone is obviously convinced about what a bob looks like -and since posters tell me the lynx isn't found so far south as Texas (I certainly would agree that a Canadian cat isn't about to go wandering across the US) it seems like the bob may have been meeting the lynx. (Our St.Lawrence river bordering NY and Canada does freeze over occasionally and moose and wolves have been known to make their way over. It's the only explanation I have for otherwise obviously good faith posts by people on this thread)

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup, we can agree to disagree since I don't wish to waste anymore time debating the absurd.

Best you do some research into what a bobcat looks like and what its range is. A book on North America's mammal species is a good place to start.

In the meantime, I'm heading back to Texas this weekend to kill a buck. So maybe I'll get to see a lynx while I'm there, eh? Roll Eyes

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
GerryPeters-

Wih all due respect, you tried to sway everyone to think a bobcat taken in the desert southwest was a lynx a while back on AR. No one agreed with you then, and no one does now.

I've trapped and called quite a few bobcats over the years and conducted countless field autopsies for my own benefit, so I feel pretty confident that I can tell the difference between the two.

But It's no point arguing as your mind is made up.

Nonetheless, how many of these below are lynx??? Roll Eyes

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9376 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
GerryPeters375 wrote:
quote:
There is no tail -hence the name

WRONG! WRONG!! WRONG!!!

Every bobcat I have ever killed has had a tail. It's short, but it IS A TAIL!!!!! Look at the pictures I posted. I think you can clearly see the tails.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9376 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
OOPS...double post...sorry.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Geez, Bobby, no wonder he thinks bobcats are rare; you killed them all. Big Grin

And quit Photoshoping tails on them!