New
Find
Notify
Tools

Draft moose?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I finally found a clipping from a local paper I was looking for.
It has a picture, from what they guess to be late 18 to early 1900's taken at a fairgrounds in southern VT.
It shows a young bull and slightly larger cow moose hitched to a little buggy and a man in it driveing them. .... Whats more, two good bull elk were hitched to another buggy in back of the moose!!
I dont know if the picture would come out on the computer, and have no way of doing it, but would like to share it with everyone. Does anybody want to attempt it? I could mail it to them.

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We have a picture in the local museum of a fellow from about the same time frame, with a moose team, and another of a guy with a sleigh hitched up to a team of bison. I have no idea how he trained them, but it looks pretty cool. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I've seen pictures of some cowboys from the Chilcotins, riding moose with a saddle.

I think if they're raised from very young by a human, they can be trained, like many other creatures.

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Earl of Norfolk had a coach pulled by deer, all went well until the local hunt pack picked up his scent..... he just made it in time.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Made in Sweden>
posted
Well guys... sorry to disappoint you but I think we were first here in Sweden. Our king Karl the X had an entire moosemounted regiment. They had to leave the entire idea since the soldiers kept falling off the bulls when passing through heavy cover in 50mph.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatehouse:
I've seen pictures of some cowboys from the Chilcotins, riding moose with a saddle.

I think if they're raised from very young by a human, they can be trained, like many other creatures.

I don't know about the saddles but Roy Mulvahill from Anahem Lake (in the west Chilcotin) has a series of pictures of him riding a wild Bull. He had a moose hunter a few years ago and when they went out to mount up in the morning he discovered a young bull in the corral eating the hay. Roy snuck up on it and jumped over the fence landing on it's back. He grabbed the horns as the moose took off and held on for around a mile. After that time the moose just stopped, with him still on it. By this time the hunter had caught up with them and took a bunch of pictures. Quite funny with Roy in his red and black checkered tuque sitting on a very embarrassed moose. I think he said it had about 36 inch horns. [Big Grin]

[ 09-26-2002, 19:41: Message edited by: mickey ]

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote