New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunt club revenge
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone know the background about this picture?
Story I got says they lost their deer lease after 25 yrs of management. The owner of the land told them that he would not renew their lease and this would be their last season. This picture is supposedly the results

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm, where's the fence and feeders? Wink Not very common to find that much calcium on parcel of land even 500 acres, and who knows how large the land was...

BTW, check your PM...question about bear hunt next month.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW! If it is true, good for them!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Regardless of the reason, there are some hogs in there!!!!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Troy Hibbitts
posted Hide Post
that's why, from a landowner's perspective, you never tell your hunters that their lease isn't going to be renewed until AFTER the season.

Not that I'm voting in favor or against the hunters/landowners in the above situation . . . but hunters who know they aren't coming back to a property (for whatever reason) tend to overshoot the place and forget about sound management.

Troy

http://thehibbitts.net/
Brackettville, TX

Posts: 282 | Location: Brackettville, TX | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The last group I had left of their own accord. I thought it was an amiable parting. Some of them left as gentlemen and some of them shot up the place and stole everything that wasn't nailed down (and some stuff that was). They tore down their bunk beds and burned them in front of the camp house.

I swore off lease hunters after that. That was 12 years ago. Since then it has been only family.

On the other hand, on two other properties we own we have #1 a guy and his father-in-law. they have been on the property for 10 years. They are great. They pay on time and improve the place every year. I couldn't (literally) do better myself.
and on #2
Three guys who are much the same as above.

I have found that small family oriented groups are better than large transient groups or clubs.

Landowners would probably like to lease in many situations but truthfully guys, it's a pain in the ass if you care anything about your property.

Famous last words.

Them: You aren't going to find anyone else like us!
Me: Good!

Them: We will treat the place like it's our own!
Me: I don't want you to treat it like it's yours, I want you treat it like it's mine!

Them: This is how we are going to run the lease next year!
Me: It's a shame we are not running the kind of lease you want to be on! Bye.

Alan

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.-Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 511 | Location: Goliad, Texas | Registered: 06 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll go ahead and be the first one and throw the flag

bsflag

NFW

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They all appear to be mounts. They all have their eyes open and as was pointed out when this picture appeared on other posts, their tongues aren't out and there is no blood.

Alan

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.-Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 511 | Location: Goliad, Texas | Registered: 06 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If they are mounts, then some must be life sized!!!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't see any tags or legs (only one thing over on the right that looks like a leg).

Alan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Most do look like mounts, but I see two legs on the right. And as for tags, why would they be visible? Or even be on the animal?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know how they do things in Wyoming but in Texas the tag would be attached immediately after the kill and remain attached until the animal reached it's final destination. Most guys, not all, tape or otherwise secure the tag to the antler. On does they use the ear. (most, not all) The picture doesn't look like it was taken in Texas but it could be except for the Yankees in the picture.

There's no disputing that they are nice deer though. I don't see a one in the bunch I wouldn't squeeze on.

Alan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i don't think they are all mounts. i can clearly see some bodies. however, i think what we are seeing is a pic of some folks standing in the woods, and someone photo-shopped a bunch of deer in front of them. the two don't belong in the same pic, for a lot of reasons.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alan R. McDaniel, Jr.:
I don't know how they do things in Wyoming but in Texas the tag would be attached immediately after the kill and remain attached until the animal reached it's final destination. Most guys, not all, tape or otherwise secure the tag to the antler. On does they use the ear. (most, not all) The picture doesn't look like it was taken in Texas but it could be except for the Yankees in the picture.

There's no disputing that they are nice deer though. I don't see a one in the bunch I wouldn't squeeze on.

Alan

There are states where tags are not needed. Ever hunt in Mississippi? No tag or check in needed in that state when I was in grad school. Everything was done on the honor system.

Graybird

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, I never hunted on the honor system on the Great State of Mississippi but I did grow up in Louisiana, they had a similar honor system in place there, but we always hunted deer in Texas.

There is something wrong with the picture, even if everything that is said about it is true.

Alan

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Here in Ohio, a temporary tag MUST be attached to the deer until it reaches a check station. Once checked in, the temp tag is removed and kept by the check station, and it is collected by the DNR. On antlered bucks, a metal tag is typically attached at the antler base and should stay attached permanently. However, I do not know if that is the law.

I know some hunters do not like the look of a metal tag on their trophy and will remove it and attach it to the back of the mount.

Not sure if that would fly with a game warden if they saw it.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
or throw the damn thing away Roll Eyes once you get your mount home.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know how they do things in Wyoming but in Texas the tag would be attached immediately after the kill and remain attached until the animal reached it's final destination

Ours is very similar, it must be attached in a visible place until the animal is transported. But rarely do I see a tag in a photo on the animal.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:

I know some hunters do not like the look of a metal tag on their trophy and will remove it and attach it to the back of the mount.

Not sure if that would fly with a game warden if they saw it.

Sorry to get off topic but your statements are interesting. I asked a very similar question to a taxidermist about a bobcat I killed several years ago that had to be tagged by the game warden. The taxidermist said the tag is no longer needed once the mount has been completed, because then said animal is no longer an animal.

Graybird

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
A look at the deer eyes and ears bring me to question the believability of the photo. Some ears do appear to be upright and not drooped like dead deers ears do and alot of eyes are shiney not hazed over.

Not the topic but in Missouri a mount either full body or shoulder or just horns must have writen on it somewhere the I.D.# you got when you checked the deer...even sheds and found sculls or road kill buck horns need a I.D.# in Missouri now days to keep you from getting a conservation award.$$$$$

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
or throw the damn thing away Roll Eyes once you get your mount home.

I'm all for that, the problem is, I've been to an Ohio DNR station, in Xenia, and if memory serves correctly, the lady behind the counter stated that in the event a warden had a warrant to search your game, you have to PROVE where each and every animal came from...i.e., guilty of a game violation, until proven innocent, which is BS if you ask me. Don't know if that is true.

But, simply put, if the metal tag is still around the antler, there's no question.

One of Us
Picture of Troy Hibbitts
posted Hide Post
One reason some of these deer could be stiff and not appear freshly dead is that they could have been in the freezer. One way some of the guided places do the "hero shots" is to freeze the buck overnight in the position that you want it to be in for the photo and then drag it out.

Anyway, some of these bucks look like they could have been hanging in the freezer by their horns.

Troy

http://thehibbitts.net/
Brackettville, TX

Posts: 282 | Location: Brackettville, TX | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote