Find
Notify
Tools

Re: sierra match-king on big game?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Quote:

What this thread continues to prove to me is the number of people out there the refuse to let the facts get in the way of the truth.

I'm a little confused here.... Facts and Truth, they seem to be the same. The truth is I've killed many many animals with matchkings without a problem. The fact is I therefore have no reason to discontinue their use.

Quote:

When even the bullet maker recommends against their product for hunting, yet people continue to use them is testament as to why people continue to elect the likes of Fat Ted, Hillary, etc.

Are you sure you know what recommend means and that recommend is what Sierra stated?? Maybe they don't want folks that can't figure out the limitation(s) of the matchking using them! Have you ever seen the disclaimer "On a closed course by a professional..."?? They're recommending that the neophytes and "that's good enough" types not try it.

Quote:

Hey, there's been a couple of documented cases where elephant have been taken with a 22 rimfire, so by the same logic, it is an adequate elephant rifle. Key word here being logic which apparently escapes some here. jorge

Here's how logic works as I see it.

If you were to add a few words into your elephant example it could be more correct.

"...there's been a couple of documented cases where elephant have been taken with a 22 rimfire, so by the same logic, it is an adequate elephant rifle..." ADD "in that application" and I believe you'd be more correct.
But of course someone would leave out the "in that application" section and get stomped flat then there'd be claims that a 22RF can't kill an elephant for anyone anymore.

Back to logic.

First hand test of the bullet, results are successful. Test the bullet again and again and again and again and again and again... you get the idea... lots of shots... ALL successful.

Logic: The bullet works as used/tested, continue to use the bullet as tested. (My scenario)

Logic: The bullet did not work as used/tested, discontinue use in that manner. (Allen Day scenario)

Not Logic: The bullet works as used/tested but someone (lot's of someones in this case) say it doesn't work for them in the manner they either read about, heard about, theorized, or actually experienced IN THEIR MANNER OF USE OR TESTS. Therefore, it won't work for anyone in any manner of use closely resembling the manner(s) understood/believed to have been tried/tested.

Just so folks know that I've read what Sierra says about the MK bullet I'll paste the response from Sierra about hunting with MatchKings.

"Every year we are reminded of the accuracy advantage MatchKings provide by hunters wishing to use them in the field. We don't suggest this application due to thin jackets, hard cores, and small meplat openings.

These design characteristics can cause premature expansion at close range, lack of expansion at extreme range, and a very narrow corridor of terminal performance. It is very difficult to take advantage of the MatchKings accuracy edge in the field under normal hunting conditions. Usually things are not just exactly perfect when that trophy presents itself. That means that odds are good that shot placement, while good, may not be perfect."

P-Dog shooter

I don't think it'll get as far as the great MatchKing thread of old but it's possible... It's an ornery time of year apparently.

Posts: 226 | Location: Dorchester County, South Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I've also on occasion had premium bullets that grouped as well as MKs at 100 yds. fail to hold up as well in terms of accuracy as MKs at 200 yds. and beyond.

But in every case, I found that changing powders and/or primers cleaned up the premium bullet groups downrange. For example, my .338 Win. Mag. produces the same sort of half-inch or less groups at 100 yds. with 250 gr. Nosler Partitions whether I load the cases with IMR 4350, IMR 4831, H4831, or Reloader 19. However downrange, Reloader 19 clearly demonstrates its accuracy advantage, because the 200 and 300 yd. groups with that powder are better than half the size of groups produced with any other propellant, plus the velocity is slighter greater by some 40 fps.

I never get all giddy over any load I shoot at 100 yds. until that load shows its true nature downrange. I always develop loads "downrange", simply because too many half-truths that you can't trust manifest themselves at 100 yds.

In the case of my matched pair of .300 Win. Mag. rifles, 180 gr. Nosler Partitions absolutely group as well as MKs at any distance.

In any event, compromising bullet construction for paper accuracy is an unacceptable deal that can really come back and bite you in the backside. It's a deal I refuse to make ever again.......

AD

<allen day>
posted
Those MKs that penetrated like pencil holes, as well as the MKs that penetrated just inside of the entry point resulted in deer (Coues and mule deer) that ran (up to 200 yds.) and had to be followed up and shot again. Bullet placement was not the issue in any case, as these shots were all either through the lungs or into the shoulder. In any event, said performance was absolutely unacceptable. Based on my rather extensive use of Nosler Partitions, those same shots with that bullet would have resulted in animals that either dropped on the spot, or expire within a few yards, and no blown-up capes. I wouldn't even consider using MKs on elk, bears, or African animals of any size.

Sure, bullet placement counts for most of the ballgame, but bullet construction is of absolutely critical importance as well, as just about every professional hunting guide in the world will confirm under no uncertain terms. If MKs are such great hunting bullets (as well as tin-foil grade 'regular' hunting bullets), then why were true premium bullets (beginning with the Nosler Part.) developed in the first place?

A better question is this: Why would anyone choose MKs for any sort of BG hunting? What's the perceived advantage anyway?

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

It's better to hit them in the "kill me spot" with an adequte bullet than hit them in the "wound me spot" with a premium bullet.

Well said.

I have loads for premium bullets that are more accurate @ 100 yards than SMK's. The groups with the premium bullets seem to come apart past 300 yards while the SMK's are consistent. I tell most folks to use the partition, TSX and such, but I like the accuracy of a SMK.

Posts: 165 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Sure, anything you say. I know, the premium bullet makers put some sort of addictive substance in their bullets that make us buy them for more money even though they don't kill any better. You answered your own postulate when you said that one must know the limitations. Right, as in don't shoot an elk with a matchking in the shoulder at close range? Wait for a lung shot or better yet, wait until the range opnes up to 300 yards because if you hit the shoulder the bullet will blow up. With a premium, bullet placement is still important but with far less limitations. But, I have a feeling that if premium were to walk on water, your answer would be "yeah, that's becasue they can't swim." jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

I don't believe that Sierra's recommendation not to use the MKs for game means the current ones being used by advocates of the bullet have a problem being used on the game.

In fact I believe if the MKs being used by the advocates were known by Sierra to be the best bullets in the world for game then they would still recommend against their use. Such a recommendation allows Sierra to make MKs without any consideration to their performance on game.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
What this thread continues to prove to me is the number of people out there the refuse to let the facts get in the way of the truth. When even the bullet maker recommends against their product for hunting, yet people continue to use them is testament as to why people continue to elect the likes of Fat Ted, Hillary, etc. Hey, there's been a couple of documented cases where elephant have been taken with a 22 rimfire, so by the same logic, it is an adequate elephant rifle. Key word here being logic which apparently escapes some here. jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote