New
Find
Notify
Tools

tips for sizing up mtn goats-thx
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After 25 years of applying I finally drew a goat tag for this year.
I am going this weekend and would greatly appreciate any advice/tips/hints whatever as to how to tell size of the horns on these critters.

I waited till late to ensure good hair and I also am assured of plenty of white fluffy stuff.

I am big time stoked to go but would greatly appreciate any sage tips you may have to offer up.

Many thx

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hey Mark, had a friend shoot one up in the Beartooth's last year. I probably won't see him until tomorrow night, so it may be too late to help you. But I'll ask him. One thing I do know is he said that he never hunted so hard in his life but it was the most rewarding.

Posts: 322 | Location: Three Forks, Montana | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the goat tag. I should start by saying I am no expert in judging mountain goats. I have yet to draw a permit myself. I've always wondered how one would go about judging mountain goats in the field when the difference between an average and trophy-class animal is a mere inch or two. A friend of mine however went on a recent guided goat hunt in northern BC. He said his guide was very good. Apparently he judged the animal not by attempting to estimate horn length but rather assessing the profile/shape of the animal's head. Goats with larger more geometric-shaped heads have longer horns, also make nicer looking mounts. Don't know if this helps any. Good luck. Brad.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Goats are tricky to judge but once you know them they aren't that bad.
First off you need to know what size goats you can expect in the area you are going to hunt, no point in holding out for a 10" Billy if they don't exist.
Second learn the difference between nannies and Billies. Billies horns start to curve as soon as they exit the hair, nannies horns seem to go straight up and then curve back on the ends. Nannies horns typically are thinner- sometimes making them appear long, Billies horns look closer together at the base normally because they have more mass.
Third a Goat has ears that are + or - 4" in length, use that as a ruler and you should do well.
Fourth any Goat that you hunted hard for and did your best is a trophy so don't be too critical unless you can come home empty and wait another 25 years for a tag.

I got a 9.375" Billy in Colorado several years ago, it was agreat hunt. I practiced all summer for a 400 yard shot with my 30/06 and ended up shooting mine at 20 paces. You just never know.

Good Luck.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If my memory serves me right,it seems like the world record for a long time was held by a nanny.Kind of interesting.

MONTANA,where the men are men and so arent the women!!

Posts: 11 | Location: KALISPELL MONTANA | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote