THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    What is the going rate for a tip on an exotic hunt in Texas?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the going rate for a tip on an exotic hunt in Texas?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
One outfitter told me he got 20-30% of the cost of the hunt.

Needless to say I don't think he's my guy.

I had a couple of Yukon/NWT outfitters tell me that $1000 was pretty much the standard minimum for a 14 day Dall hunt that cost $25,000.

If this has been covered a million times before I appologize.

We are moving to New Mexico in a few months, and I have been looking at the changes I have seen in the exotic industry and I am scratching my head.

Would be nice to be that close and be able to do some free range exotic hunts if I don't draw anything.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...... I didn't know that you hunted

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
What ever you are comfortable with!

This is something that needs to be "Nipped In The Bud"!

As someone that has been guiding hunters in Texas for 20 years, too damn many people place too damn much emphasis on "TIPS"!!!!!

To me a 12 pack of beer is a reasonable tip. If a hunter wants to give me "X" amount of cash that is THEIR CHOICE!

I am going to work just as hard for the hunter whether there will be a tip or not, simply because of the enjoyment I get out of being in the field and hopefully seeing the client make a kill!

The biggest concept I see that is HURTING guided hunting today and over the past few years is the whole tipping issue!

Having been the client on various hunts, I have NEVER booked with ANYONE where a minimum tipping level was mentioned!

A tip/gratuity is an expression of a clients appreciation of the effort put forth by their guide, and that is how it should remain.

I would NEVER do business with anyone that required a specific percentage tipping rate.

I have always made it clear in all the information on any of the hunts I have offered on AR or any other sites, Tips/Gratuities are appreciated but are SOLELY up to the client, that is how it should remain!

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
100% agreed with you on that post CHC!

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Find another outfitter. 30% is outrageous. Tip what you feel comfortable with.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Just shot these Axis Friday morning and gave no tips.

The ranch owner guided as did an outfitter and we had our game and were back home before noon (having dropped the game meat off at a game processor).
Plus the outfitter cleaned, skinned and quartered the deer at no charge. I did give him the Axis hides.

I have hunted with outfitter before and we get along well.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Topgun. we have had our differences and always will, but there some things that simply go beyond minor stuff.

Tips/Gratuities are supposed to be a Voluntary expression of appreciation for the effort put forth by an individual, plain and simple.

Lora and I keep a stash of 2 dollar bills and when we get good service at a resteraunt, in addition to the regular tip, we give the person that waited on us one of those two dollar bills to show how much we appreciated the effort they made in serving us.

As a guide, I have had folks that could not leave a tip and others that left a 12 pack of beer and others that have left a few hundred dollars, and in reality as much as the big tips helped me it was the 12 packs of beer or the smaller amounts from folks that I knew really could not afford to give more that I appreciated the most.

In fact I talked several young folks out of trying to become guides if they thought that they would make most of their income from tips.

To me, a client shaking my hand and being sincere in their feelings about the effort I put forth is a good enough tip, anything above that is gravy.

All I want to know is that the client was satisfied with the effort I made in trying to make their hunt successful.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Topgun. we have had our differences and always will, but there some things that simply go beyond minor stuff.

Tips/Gratuities are supposed to be a Voluntary expression of appreciation for the effort put forth by an individual, plain and simple.

Lora and I keep a stash of 2 dollar bills and when we get good service at a resteraunt, in addition to the regular tip, we give the person that waited on us one of those two dollar bills to show how much we appreciated the effort they made in serving us.

As a guide, I have had folks that could not leave a tip and others that left a 12 pack of beer and others that have left a few hundred dollars, and in reality as much as the big tips helped me it was the 12 packs of beer or the smaller amounts from folks that I knew really could not afford to give more that I appreciated the most.

In fact I talked several young folks out of trying to become guides if they thought that they would make most of their income from tips.

To me, a client shaking my hand and being sincere in their feelings about the effort I put forth is a good enough tip, anything above that is gravy.

All I want to know is that the client was satisfied with the effort I made in trying to make their hunt successful.

Did you not read my previous post agreeing with everything you stated because it sure sounds like you're now taking me to task like I disagreed with you?!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tipping is dumb. I’d rather they include the
“Tip” in the cost of the hunt.

Before I’m called cheap, I will say that I’ve tipped on all my guided hunts (which are not many), even the bad one.

I think it puts unnecessary pressure on people that may or may not be able to afford it.

CHC’s post nails it.

When outfitters “suggest” a tip, I’ll go elsewhere.

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Nowadays, tipping is nothing but daylight robbery!

A tip, has always been a show of appreciation for a job well done.

Nowadays it has become expected.

Anytime someone mentions a percentage as tip, I will go somewhere else.

Correct answer is “not required, but anything you feel like would be much appreciated “.

We had a helicopter pilot in Canada, went out of his way to do anything we wanted.

I gave him a tip, and he said it was the first time that he got a tip, and he so much appreciate it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68788 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Topgun, I am sorry if you feel that I was taking you to task over your comments.

Quite the contrary I really appreciate what you said. While what I said may not have came across as I intended them, I was merely giving voice to more of my views on the whole issue of tipping and not just within the hunting community but across our whole society.

But because the subject is being discussed on a site dedicated to hunting, I feel it is an aspect that people need to voice their opinions about.

Do I accept a tip if it is offered, yes, but when thev client hands it to me I simply stick it in my pocket, Thank the person, shake hands with them and never look to see how much it is until after the client is gone.

I love to hunt and always will but I do not enjoy hunting by myself as much as I did, so guiding folks, be it family, friends or paying clients allows me to be out hunting a lot more than if I was doing the hunting.

Topgun, I do apologise over the way my comments came across they were not meant to offend.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CHC---It didn't offend me. It just surprised me that you started your post to me and then continued and it seemed to me like you thought I said I disagreed with you. Both what you and Saeed stated are right on in my book!

One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
Not that i have done a ton of guided hunts, but been on a few. Generally I tip the guide around $100/day. Maybe a bit more if he is really great. Plus tips for the cook/staff.

Posts: 784 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I go to the grocery store ,I don`t tip the person who packed my groceries.Thats part of their job.When I buy stuff online,I don`t send a tip because someone did their job.I have been on s guided hunt where the guides were out right lazy and did not get a tip,but the camp cook and wranglers got a nice one.I guess what I am saying is I do not give tips to folks for just doing their job.I got a paycheck for doing my job and no tips.I do however tip waitress`s specially if they have big boobs Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I am not a fan of tipping. I even have a service based business and do not expect tips. Weird thing is the businesses I do service often look for a tip.

The world would be a better place without this situation. I admire the Ozzies for this.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
I am not a fan of tipping. I even have a service based business and do not expect tips. Weird thing is the businesses I do service often look for a tip.

The world would be a better place without this situation. I admire the Ozzies for this.

And the Swiss too!

We were at a ski restaurant, 14 people.

Had lunch, food was great, service was great.

I paid with a card, and left some cash for a tip.

The young lady serving us follow me out, to return the cash!!

I told her I left it for her. She looked very surprised!

Funny thing is a year later I was on my own - the skiers went to another valley.

The restaurant was fully booked, no available seats.

I sat in a bar, which was attached to the restaurant, it seperate.

The same waitress saw me, and came over to ask if I was waiting for our group.

I told her no, and I was not able together a table.

She gave a menu, and said she would be happy to bring me lunch there.

I do not know d tipping, when it is left up to me.

I do not like it when they tell you up front they expect it.

Posts: 68788 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
I'm not a fan of percentages. I like round numbers and in increments of $500. I always tip regardless of the outcome as I appreciate the effort put in by my guide. Very easy this way.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1444 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
this tipping thing is out of hand.
I was looking at a hunt story from Africa and the writer showed a picture of the staff casually appearing just before his departure.
21 people in the picture.
all of them lingering around waiting for 'tip time'
so how do you work that out?
I mean seriously you leave 5-10$ for the maid in your hotel room if you mess it up more than necessary.
but you didn't do anything more than ruffle the sheets and wet a towel before heading out to hunt again.
so you drop 500$ on the guide and then 10$ on the lady with 16 kids as you go down the line?

what about the cook? he just made your dinner same as he would any other night do you tip him based on what the wine tasted like with your circle of grilled meat?

so how does the 20% get broken up?
does the travel agent get a cut, how about the horse he done most of the work.
I'm not a fan of the whole tipping thing being now a part of the deal.
you offered a hunt for XXx$$ stating what, when and where, and I accepted the price.
I made my way to the appointed place at the proper time expecting nothing more nor less than to go hunting and either staying in your residence offered with amenities as advertised or appropriating my own shelter, also as advertised.

end of the cash flow.
if you expect 20% more then advertise the price at 20% more.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I heard of one PH in Zim who would tell everyone around the dining room that a tip of $1200.00 should be given to him.

Thankfully I have never hunted with this guy, who is one of the few black African PHs.

In Africa, I usually give $100.00 a day for the days we actually hunt.

I do think the trackers should be tipped generously as they are sometimes more responsibly for you getting your trophy than the PH.

On US hunts I generally tip $200.00 total, regardless if I get something or not, as long as I know my guide worked hard for me.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe I'm a minority in the world of buying guided hunts.
I am not what anyone would call wealthy, so on occasion the cost of the guided hunt is what I can pay.
Sometimes a tip is not something that can be eeked out of my available funds.

I can say that I don't purposely refuse to tip, because I have tipped when I could.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Thanks all.

I have asked this on several exotic hunting forums and have almost been keelhauled.

Seems some outfitters expect it as they don't pay their guides anything if at all.

I emailed a couple and asked if a $100-200 tip was going to work on a hunt, and quite a few wrote back and said they preferred a client to be able to rebook rather than give a big tip.

Several were less than gentlemanly and claimed they would raise prices if they knew I had not intention of tipping 20-30% to meet that. I had never heard of any of these people before.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
20-30%?
Jesus H Christ
Wow

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
20-30%?
Jesus H Christ
Wow

If someone tells me this before the hunt, I will go somewhere else.

If they tell me this during the hunt, I will pay one big fat ZERO!

And I could not care what they think, as they will never see me again!

We go to the Maldives often, and there they assign you what they call MAN FRIDAY.

It is a person who you contact to make arrangements for you, it could be a man or a women, and they give you a direct phone number for this purpose.

They are very good at what they do, and helps both the customer and the resort.

Some would even go diving with you - this is not a requirement, but I think they look at it as getting away from the island as a good excuse if they are looking after a group of people like us.

I always gave them a good tip, and the kids leave them underwater cameras, Gopros etc after use, especially those we have dealt with before.

On one resort, we had an absolutely useless idiot.

He hardly answered his phone, never returned a call, and basically after two days there either me or my wife would arrange whatever we wanted with the reception.

The day we were leaving, he brought our bill, and I paid it.

Did not give him a penny.

As we were going to the sea plane to leave the island, he actually had the audacity to ask if there was a tip for him.

I said "I do not tip people who do not do their jobs"

The look on his face was priceless!

My wife thinks I tend to overtip.

That might be true, but to those who deserve it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not surprised. These types of killings are not the normal North American hunts. They are marketed accordingly. If you don’t like it, I suggest you go hunting.