THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: Bobcat / North American Lynx Question.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Bobcat / North American Lynx Question.
 Login/Join

posted
Thanks again gents,

Over the last few years, there has been a lot of speculation about "big cats" being loose in the British country side. So called eye witness accounts of such cats vary tremendusly with a high propprtion being black cats of some sort which does not corrispond with how things are in naure. having said that, a number of attacks on live stock, some fatal, some not have be documented with claw marks on them which totally rules out dogs or foxes.

The two main candidates in the press are usually put forward as leopards or pumas which people turned loose aftera change in the laws in the 1970's. However I am wondering, if the Bobcats or the Lynxs might not be more realistic candidate?

Wih people confusing the matter with deliberate hoaxes, until someone catches, shoots or snares something, I doubt we will get to the bottom of this.

I will say that a puma was caught up in Scotland many years ago, and more recently a Lynx was found in a suberban garden near London; both animals were thought to be recent excapess but nobody rushed forward to say they had lost them!

There is also a European directive saying that the British Government should re introduce certain species of wildlife which were once native and this includes the European Lynx and the Wolf.They have started already with the European Beaver and this has been surrounded with some secrecy. It would not surprise me to learn that they had re introduced the Lynx either..

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Pete:

Here is an Alaskan Lynx that Allen here at AR posted on my board. I think it ran around 35lbs. They are sure a beautiful animal.

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
How do these two cats compare size wise? What is the largest prey that either normally take? Do either do much damage to livestock and if so, what is generally taken?

Thanks in advance,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The lynx is much larger, but not as aggressive. They prey mostly on snowshoe hares.

Bobcats are very aggressive, and they can kill small deer. Sheep, chickens, and such would not present a problem.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
PeteE, I don't have first hand knowledge of the Lynx but a Bobcat is exactly as mentioned. I had a picture series of a Good size Bobcat taking down an adult Desert Bighorn. I can't find them now but would have posted them.
I believe the Lynx has a mush smaller territory.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gents,

Interesting that the smaller animal potentially takes the larger prey. Mentally, I have the bobcat down as running a bit bigger than my terrier, say around the 20lb to 25lb mark. I am in the ball park with that?

Regards,

Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not being a cat expert but I'd say you're ballpark with that weight. They do get considerably bigger and I'm sure they vary quite a bit among the sub species but based on the ones I caught in Tenn and Okla, 25lbs would be about right.
"course they do grow quite a bit after they're skinned and the toddies are going around.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lynx will also take deer sized game if the opportunity presents itself.

Posts: 372 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 13 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
20 to 25 lbs is about right for the normal bobcat.
My wife killed one that weighed 38 lbs[thirtyeight ] on the taxidermist scale. He was one big cat.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of the bobcats I've seen would be in the small category, but I saw one with a fresh killed whitetail doe in his mouth which was dragging his prey across a dirt road on the ranch where I hunted deer. I can't say how big it was, but for a bobcat, it was huge. To say that I was impressed would be an understatement.

If any of you have seen the apparently relatively old bobcat mount at Cooper's Barbeque in Llano, TX, it was at least that big.

Posts: 157 | Location: The Edge of Texas | Registered: 26 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete.

Not quite on your topic - but the Norwegian and Swedish members of AR are all very insistant that Roe numbers plummet dangerously when the there is a local lynx population. Seems as though they are a lethal predator on the smaller deer species.

Rgds Ian

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunt in Jamtland, Sweden and I can say the lynx is a impressive killing machine. Roe deer is very rare here and the lynx is one big reason for that. They are also a problem for the Sami people who loose many reindeers to them.

Size for a adult lynx here is 15-20kg. Some more, some less. Those over 24kg is rare.

Posts: 92 | Location: Jamtland, Sweden | Registered: 26 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Doesn't it give you and warm and fuzzy to know that your "govment" is hard at work doing what is best for you. And, if you don't believe its best, just ask them.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
beemanbeme,

Yeah I know what you mean!

Certain greenies would really like to reintroduce wolves back into Scotland tooand they are support in this by the same European directive.

They have it all worked out how these will reduce the number of red deer which in turn will alloww the natural Calidonia (sp?) forest to re establish itself. As a bonus it will be a poke in the eye of the big Estates who rely on deerstalking as a major source of income.

Now why Mr Wolf should chase the fleet of foot red deer when so many wooly maggots are just waiting on god to give them half a chance to die, I don't know.

Actually I don't mind them introducing wolves, nor big cats; hell bears would be good also...I mean I am the one wondering around with a rifle!! Not that any of gods creatures would ever attack a treehugger out for a picnic with his cress sandwiches!

Regards,

Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post
I once got into a bit of a disagreement with a Bobcat over who got to eat the deer I had just shot. He was on my kill less than 15 minutes after I had shot him. He was so large that I first thought he was a coyote. Fortunately 1 shot ended the disagreement since all I had was a muzzleloader......DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote