New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boot Dressings
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is the absolute best leather boot dressing you have ever used?

one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
I use Snow Seal and Bear grease when I have it.Theres alot of good products out there.

Jayco

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mink oil

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like Snow Seal, apply liberally and melt into leather with hair dryer or inside a window pane in the sun.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I've used Sno-Seal for years but switched to Pecard Silicone when I had a pair of boots made by Russell. It has worked very well with these boots for the last 8 years. I have worn them all over Zimbabwe.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depending on which boots I am putting the dressing on, I prefer Pitch Blend for my hiking boots and Schnee's pacs and Obenauf's LP for my White's or Drew's.

I've had great success with both, but for a general pair of hiking boots I would probably use the Pitch Blend.

MG

One of Us
Picture of wazza56
posted Hide Post
Was using snow-seal and the boot soles started to come away, boot repairer said the snow seal was reacting with the glue and he see's quite a bit of it.

keep your barrell clean and your powder dry

Posts: 383 | Location: NW West Australia / Onepoto NZ | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two camps for grease:

one is Snoseal camp.

second is Montana Pitch Blend and/ or Obenauf camp.

Many who throw stones at camp one claim that Snoseal will break down stiching and leather, though Snoseal claims this is totally false.

I am in the second camp and find it right as rain here.

Gary

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me, I use Ballitol-Klever, (I don't know if it's available in the US).
It's great oil, it was developed for use on guns, it preserves leather and wood too.
If you can get it, try it, it will surprise you how much crud it will take off an apparently clean rifle. Both inside and ouside the barrel.
It keeps a leather sling supple. and leather boots water proof
It's only a few $s it could be money well spent.

ps I have no interests, financial or otherwise, in this product.

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is another vote for Sno-Seal. As stated before, melt it in with warm sunshine or a blow dryer.

I wear Hawthornes (cheaper grade of Whites) to work almost every day. The uppers have lasted through two sets of full soles on my last two pair, about five years life expectancy for each pair. I have never seen any problems with glue or stitching. And the stuff does a great job of water proofing.

Idaho Shooter

Posts: 273 | Location: West Central Idaho | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used snow seal for 30 years without any problems.

JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steel Slinger
posted Hide Post
Snow Seal and Kiwi. It'll keep your dogs dry.

FiSTers... Running is useless.

Posts: 315 | Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
depends on the weather - usually I like mink oil, but when it get cold out it does freeze

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I use a product named Nikwax which is an excellent product made in Great Britain and marketed throughout the US. They make different products for different types od leather and/or canvas. It has proven to be great when hunting in deep snow.

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
I use Meindel Sport Wax. Works great.

-------------------------------
Too many people........

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boilerroom:
I use Meindel Sport Wax. Works great.

is there a mail order source for it.