THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Wyoming hunter calls for elk, gets mauled by a bear

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wyoming hunter calls for elk, gets mauled by a bear
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Wyoming hunter calls for elk, gets mauled by a bear

September 15, 2016 By Pete Thomas

A bear attack Tuesday on a Wyoming bow hunter appears to have been triggered by an elk call.

Reggie Riebe, who remains hospitalized with injuries to his scalp, buttocks, hands and arms, has not said much to investigators since he was mauled by what’s believed to have been a grizzly bear.

“Who knows what he’s been through,” Mark Gocke, Wyoming Game and Fish Department spokesman, told the Jackson Hole Daily on Thursday. “He might be in a lot of pain. We’re not going to fault him.”

Investigators did interview Reibe’s hunting partner, who said the mauling occurred as Riebe was using an elk call to assist his partner in their morning hunt in Bridger Teton National Forest. The partner reported the attack at 9:06 a.m., and helped Riebe walk about a mile through dense forest to meet the ambulance.

Riebe was transported to St. Johns Medical Center in Jackson. On Wednesday he was listed in good condition.

The injuries, according to a report by KGWN, are consistent with the type of injuries caused by a grizzly bear. It remains unclear, though, whether the bear was tracing Riebe’s call in search of a elk meal, or if this was simply a defensive attack. The Wyoming Game and Fish Department is still investigating.

“Obviously, our primary concern is with the health of the victim at this time,” Brad Hovinga, a department supervisor, told KGWN on Wednesday. “This is a terribly unfortunate incident and we’re really hoping for the victim’s speedy and full recovery.”

The attack occurred at a time when bears are desperately trying to fatten up before the hibernation season. They can be more aggressive toward humans during this period.

The Wyoming Game and Fish Department used the incident to remind hunters to stay close to a partner; to carry bear spray after carefully reading the instructions; to watch closely for bear sign (tracks, scat, broken branches, etc.); to watch for bear food (white-bark pine cone piles, berry patches, and animal carcasses), and to avoid “dark” timber areas used by bears to bed down during the day.

Read more at http://www.grindtv.com/wildlif...#SdA4GKj6JKia4C4O.99

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9380 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Related to bow hunting AZ hunter uses handgun to defend himself against bear attack.

http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2...handgun-to-stop.html

PAYSON, AZ - Authorities found two bear cubs after an archery deer hunter fatally shot an adult female bear with a handgun when it charged him in the Payson area.

The state Game and Fish Department says the bear wasn't provoked and that the hunter was defending himself when the bear charged him from about 20 feet Sunday.
More Here

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Well, I leave in 6 days for Wyoming for antelope and I'll be careful when I call yotes. Big Grin

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12552 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was just bear hunting south of Jackson a couple weeks ago you. Amazing country, we must all be vigilant when we haven't around these areas.

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot an elk south of South Pass Wyoming and it ran a bit out of sight. When I climbed down off the cliff I was on and started following the blood trail I heard what I though was the elk thrashing around but it turned out to be a Grizzly removing a front shoulder from the elk. He ran off twenty yards or so and lay down looking at me, I respectfully backed out and let him have the elk. In Wyoming shooting a Grizzly under these circumstances would put me in more trouble than a cop shooting a Black man who has a gun in his hand.

Posts: 932 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathi:
Wyoming hunter calls for elk, gets mauled by a be
Reggie Riebe, who remains hospitalized with injuries to his scalp, buttocks, hands and arms, has not said much to investigators since he was mauled by what’s believed to have been a grizzly bear.

“Who knows what he’s been through,” Mark Gocke, Wyoming Game and Fish Department spokesman, told the Jackson Hole Daily on Thursday. “He might be in a lot of pain. We’re not going to fault him.”

Poor guy probably has a Freddie Cruger bruin image seared in his brain. To hell with that "spray" nonsense. I'd pack a weapon like the guy p dog shooter posted about.

Posts: 10145 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gunsmoker:
I shot an elk south of South Pass Wyoming and it ran a bit out of sight. When I climbed down off the cliff I was on and started following the blood trail I heard what I though was the elk thrashing around but it turned out to be a Grizzly removing a front shoulder from the elk. He ran off twenty yards or so and lay down looking at me, I respectfully backed out and let him have the elk. In Wyoming shooting a Grizzly under these circumstances would put me in more trouble than a cop shooting a Black man who has a gun in his hand.

Yup, shooting a grizzly in Wyoming or Montana is about the same as shooting Mother Teresa in India. it was the reason I upgraded from a 243 to a 270 when I moved to Montana in the late 60s. Probably could've scared him off but hiking out with an elk quarter with a grizzly maybe on your trail doesn't sound like much fun.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4732 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
quote:

Yup, shooting a grizzly in Wyoming or Montana is about the same as shooting Mother Teresa in India. it was the reason I upgraded from a 243 to a 270 when I moved to Montana in the late 60s. Probably could've scared him off but hiking out with an elk quarter with a grizzly maybe on your trail doesn't sound like much fun.

Facing a Grizzly with a .270 also doesn't sound like much fun to me either!

Posts: 5701 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
A determined grizzly can be a formidable force - watch full screen for best effect:

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What kind of a citified fucktard honks their horn at predator making a kill in the wild? That is an amazing thing to see that should be a cherished moment.

IDIOTS!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, careful whatcha call for!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
quote:

Facing a Grizzly with a .270 also doesn't sound like much fun to me either!

It was a bigger gun when I was younger and immortal Smiler

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4732 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
What kind of a citified fucktard honks their horn at predator making a kill in the wild? That is an amazing thing to see that should be a cherished moment.

IDIOTS!

That is a cow. As in bovine.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Maybe a rancher trying to save his cow. That's no buffalo.

What kind of person thinks a rancher losing his stock is neat.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote