New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boker knives
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was wondering if the Boker knives are really any better than regular steel knives? Are they any sharper and does the edge really last longer? Rufous.

Posts: 224 | Location: Walla Walla, WA 99362 | Registered: 05 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rufous. For the best "store bought" knife buy a PUMA. Use a diamond sharpener. Your PUMA will cut like a light saber. I like the game warden style blade, it is avialable in the black or green handled models also. I have gutted, skinned, and butchered many animals,elk, bear, deer, antelope, caribou, pigs, and small game, it is the most usefull blade size and design

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I just got a Boker stockman style poket knife and I do think the steel is better than a lot of others. The solingen stainless is about Rc57-58.
If you are looking for a blade that stays sharp then look for a Rockwell hardness of 58-61. Harder than that and it would be very hard to sharpen and brittle, softer than that and they get dull faster but are easier to sharpen. Puma makes a White Hunter that is very usefull in the field and there are others. If you don't want to spend that much for a field knife then Cold Steal has an SRK model that is a Rc59 and very tough. SOG has a government model that is about Rc58 and both of these don't cost as much as the Puma. KaBar now has some knives with a D2 tool steel that would be great if you like that style blade.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Rufous, I'd check ebay for a Puma if you're serious. There are a few there but the prices vary. Some are even new. I don't particularily like the serations on the blade of the White Hunter but the design is still usefull. You pay for a good blade regaurdless of brand. I like Gerbers, good steel for the price.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was in a cultlery store a while back and asked the owner about Boker knives. He said it was the only knife in store he wouldn't try to talk me into buying. If I wanted it, he would sell it to me, but otherwise he wouldn't bring it up.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
<500 AHR>
posted
Robert,

I assume you are referring to the ceramic Boker blades (as I am unaware of any other). I have used one once and chipped the blade badly. I bought the gentlemen (a hunting companion) a real knife to replace that one.

Todd E

<DavidP>
posted
I find that my Boker (steel blade)will hold an edge better than any Buck I own and a close second to my Puma. I think they are a geat knife and wouldn't hesitate to recommend one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My top 3 choices when I'm out after things I'll be (hopefully) cutting up later include:
Benchmade - Rc in the 57-61 range and a good assortment of blade styles
Puma - I've had one for 20 years and still haven't found too many blades in it's class.
Boker - not the ceramic blades, steel blades. Good edge holding qualities.

just my .02c worth

Posts: 203 | Location: Back home in Texas | Registered: 20 May 2002Reply With Quote
<X-Ring>
posted
I have a Boker
I really like it. It is steel,and seems to hold an edge very well.
FWIW X-Ring

<Poppy09>
posted
Rufous, I've carried a Boker tree brand three blader in my pocket for twenty five years. I've had but one problem. The old lady washed it once and the tree brand emblem was lost. Never bothered to replace it. I run it across the stix a couple times a month, and stone it when it needs it. It's good steel, good wood and to this day it isn't loose. I'd recommend you buy one. GIG 'EM AGS........Jim