Tools

Filling the game feeders
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
That could happen, and at one time it would have been a real consideration. In todays world of Game Cameras however that creates a pretty strong deterrent.

Also, folks working out of or with a feed store are looking to build on their business, especially in rural areas.

This is true but you also have to watch out for them possibly seeing trophy animals and telling people that might be tempted night hunt your area... I understand that it can free up a LOT of your time hiring this done but I'm not sure it won't bring a lot of attention to your trophy animals.

Hope it works out for you.

Bob

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Your concerns are reasonable, but most deer hunting in Texas takes place in more rural areas on private land.

With white tails, especially trophy bucks being big business here, between lease holders/land owners and Game Warden's, some poaching does take place but not like it once was and normally not for the bigger bucks.

In most of the rural areas, people, the locals, have time to pay attention to such things as vehicles and schedules. Strange vehicles and activities taking place outside of what is normal are paid attention too. Anything turns up amiss at a camp/around feeders or evidence of a deer being poached, some one will have seen something.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
Call West Bear Creek in Junction and talk with Ford. He'll fill your feeders for you. Has a 5000 lb blower that'll make short work of it. Great guy and a great store and you can trust him! Been filling mine and several friends' feeders for years and zero problems.

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Found a blower trailer I wanna use and found someone to deliver bulk feed..... Just need an overhead feed bin.....maybe 12 ton.... the dern things are expensive, made in Oklahoma and shipping is about as much as the bin.... Any ideas?

Posts: 41774 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
J, one thing a person should consider is the weather conditions in the area. Don't know for sure about the feed bins that size but on our smaller protein feeders, if filled full, they will sweat on the inside and cause problems.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I had Junction Warehouse fill the protein feeder. They did a great job! Thank you all.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
J, one thing a person should consider is the weather conditions in the area. Don't know for sure about the feed bins that size but on our smaller protein feeders, if filled full, they will sweat on the inside and cause problems.

I haven't had that problem "yet" but thanks for the heads up Ran'l.

Posts: 41774 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote