Find
Notify
Tools

Long Dry Spell Over.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted
Prior to the 2010 deer season, Lora had been a really good shot with her .257 Robert's. I had gotten used to the one shot-one dead critter concept. Early in the 2010 season however, she messed up on a shot, wounded a deer that from all evidence, is probably still alive.
The incident did however mess her up, and all during the 2011 and 2012 seasons, she simply could not hit a deer, regardless of the range. Shooting at a paper target at the range, she did just fine.
Take her out and get into a stand and she was consistently shooting under the animals, again regardless of the range.

I became worried that it had something to do with her eyesight and not the rifle/scope. I can fix a problem with the equipment, I cannot fix a physical problem with her eyesight, no matter how much I would like to be able to.

This brings us up to opening weekend of the 2013 season. I take her out to our range a couple of days before opening day and after a couple of shots, she is hitting the target good enough.

Opening morning we get into a ground blind that offers a 70 to 80 yard shot. A small spike comes in and I tell her to take him, and she shoots under him. He runs off, stays gone about 10 minutes, comes back to the feeder offering a second shot.

Lora tries again. This time the buck jumps straight up like he has been hit and takes off. We give him a few minutes to stiffen up and then go looking for him. I leave the blind headed in the direction he was running but once I get to where I last saw him, I could not find any blood.

I track back to where he had been standing when Lora took the shot, and find a pile of shaved belly hair. A little closer this time but still too low.

This results in another trip to the range, and again, she does fairly well, good enough to be killing stuff.

Sunday afternoon we go to a different blind. This one overlooks two feeders, one at about 130 yards, the second at about 85 yards. Quite a few more deer were coming into this set up than the one we hunted the day before.

A good sized doe comes in to the closest feeder and Lora takes the shot, again hitting under the animal. This results in another session at the range, this time however I notice a couple of changes she has made to her shooting style.

We have a short discussion about those changes and end up getting her to go back to her normal method of shooting. We make two more hunts where nothing comes in, which brings us up to Wednesday nights hunt.

After mentally reviewing the previous 4 hunts and her shooting from the bench, I requested that she make one change. I asked her, just as an experiment, that on our next hunt if a doe came in, instead of watching it thru the scope, waiting for and studying for the "Right" moment, that when the crosshairs came across the part of the body where she wanted to put the bullet, shoot the gun. She did just as I asked, and the result was her first dead deer in two seasons. The doe weighed 84 pounds live weight.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Awesome job

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good shooting Lora, bet that doe will be great eating.Good job Crazy, continued success.

Posts: 561 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good job Lora. Keep shooting.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
tu2 tu2
Very good !

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
Nice job.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crazy and Lora - Congrats on getting back on track and enjoy the venison this Winter. As a longtime bowhunter I have seen a similar situation with some really experienced folks. It's called target panic in the bow World, and results in not being able to hold the pin/sight on the center of the target while making the shot. Glad you got it worked out. Is a "big buck" in order now, Lora? Wink

Larry Sellers
SCI(International) Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many Thanks for the comments folks. It felt really great to see the look on Lora's face when we got to that doe.

Lora has no real desire to shoot a buck, I have had trouble in the past, getting her to shoot spikes. I really would like to see her shoot a decent buck, I would pay to have it mounted.

She seems quite happy with the does so I ain't gonna push things.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding Ran'l! And a big congrats to Mrs. Lora.

Funny how some silly little thing like that can stump folk, good job figuring it out!

Posts: 41861 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks J, hope we did get it figured out, but I think it did boost her confidence, and I know how good a game shot she can be.

One of Us
Picture of chas257
posted Hide Post
What you and Lora have is wonderful.

Posts: 242 | Location: Lake Linden Mi | Registered: 18 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tell her congrats!

PM Sent.

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Nice example of teamwork there. Well done.

Posts: 1247 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
great job with the shooten and the coaching

When there's lead in the air, there's hope!!!!

Posts: 424 | Location: Ticonderoga NY | Registered: 19 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Good job, Lora and Randall! Hoping all is well.

Jeff

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MotorCity
posted Hide Post
Great job Lora & Randall. See you in a few weeks.

Posts: 239 | Location: Rochester, Michigan | Registered: 18 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are looking forward to it, have a safe trip down. Hopefully Mr. Barlow can tell the difference between javelinas and feral hogs this year. shocker rotflmo beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give that woman a high five from me!!

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank You Sir, I will do that. tu2