New
Find
Notify
Tools

Climbing stands
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone care to share any tips on improving their climbing stands in terms of concealment, quietness and better rests for a shot?

I take pipe insulation and wrap it on the closest bar to avoid the noise from the gun.

I have also carried a small sand bag with a handle. I tie it to the back of the stand. If a really long shot presents itself, this can be useful to provide a more stable rest.

I don't have anything that is really good for concealment. However, I do occasionally wrap camo cloth on the stand. This provides some concealment against lower body movement. My upper body is still exposed. All of my climbers face the tree, so I suppose the tree trunk provides some cover.

Thanks.

Posts: 12022 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On some brands it may help with noise if you take it to your local Line-X dealer (spray-in truck bedliner) and have them spray on some bedliner compound.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A couple of years ago, after Christmas was over, I purchased an artificial christmas tree, and used pieces of it to break up the outline of the stand. I secured these with zip ties, and when any of the individual branches get "tired", I just take another piece and replace it. I also tied on some astro turf to the foot platform for improved silencing of foot movement. The pipe insulation is a great idea, but I also would glue some softer fabric over that to help silence any movement. All of this may add a couple of pounds to the climber, but the payoff is worth it. Since I have done this, I have not been "busted" in my climber

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Larry, Sometimes it is as simple as the specific tree you select. You can go up some trees and end up with a limb crossing in front of you(facing away from the tree) that provides a nice rest and concealment. If it is too small though, it is wiggly and much worse than just using a Hasty Sling.

I have to balance the Height with being far enough up to help conceal scent, with being so high that I can't see what is happening at 20yds around me.

If you are Hunting the Edge of a woods bordering a field, being a tree or so "into the Edge" instead of the nearest tree to the field is a real help.

Once you get up a tree and have a chance to look around a bit, you may discover a better tree just a few yards away. We try to Scout an area with a small(10', 12' or 15') Ladder Style Stand. They are quick to set up and quick to re-position without making a lot of noise. But even then once the Climbers are in use, we may spot a better tree real close by.

One BIG problem with facing the tree is that I tend to look around one side for a minute or so then want to see what is happening on the other side. That small movement will alert all the local animals that something is different. But, it does help conceal the majority of your body.

I really prefer to be set-up with a Limb on my left side and just sit as still as possible. Of course just looking over the holes in the Face Mask and just under the Boonie Brim.

If you do not have Birds landing very close by or on you, then there is room for improvement.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I recently purchase a lone wolf climber this year and found it to be a very secure sit/climber and it is very quiet.

I have been using an Ol Man which seemed to be very uncomfortable and did not bite the tree well on the upper part of the climber.

I tend to adjust the height of the stand up or down depending on foliage. 10' minimum.

Posts: 3 | Location: USA | Registered: 28 November 2010Reply With Quote