Find
Notify
Tools

Leica Ultravids and South Texas
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted
I have a hunt coming up next week near Cotulla which was enough to make me move off the dime and finally buy a pair of binoculars (after nearly a year of looking). So, my 7x42 Ultravids arrived today and I am so excited I can hardly stand it. I've glassed just about everything I can see from my office window in downtown Minneapolis. I wonder if I can strap them to my steering wheel for the ride home. I haven't heard of too many people opting for the 7x over the 8x, and I'm sure all the manuf. sell more 8 and 10x then anything else. But, I had ruled out the 10x long ago and had settled on the 8x32 because they were so light and compact. Then I picked up a pair of the 42mm, and they just felt more comfortable in my hands and the extra weight and size seemed to "fit". Then I picked up some Zeiss and Leica in 7x42, and kept switching back and forth between the 8x, and could not tell any material difference between the two in magnification, but I could tell a very minute difference in clarity. So for whatever reason, either real or perceived, I went with the 7x42 Ultravids. I could not tell a big difference between the Leica and Zeiss FL in clarity or brightness, but felt like the Leica had a slight edge. What I liked most about the Leica was the ergonomics and the focus. The Zeiss focus knob was very precise, meaning it was either exactly in focus or out. The Leica had a more gradual feel to the focusing, meaning it came into focus with more movement of the knob rather than less (Zeiss). I'm sure it's a preference thing but I much preferred the focus process of the Leicas. So with that said, I am chomping at the bit for next Wed, when I fly into San Antonio, and get to spend the next 4 days glassing rutting bucks, hogs, javelinas and bobcats. Yeeehawww. Now I just have to remember to put my Leicas down and pick up the rifle when it's time to shoot. I haven't thought about this, but I'll probably be disappointed in how my VariX-III 2.5-8 looks after looking through the Ultravids.

PS. Leica is offering a promotion on their LRF 1200 when you purchase an Ultravid in 42mm or larger. I saw it on their website. I think you can buy the 1200 for under $400 if I remember right.

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had a pair of Leica(Leitz) 8X42's that I've had for over 20 years and they still are awesome. At that time they were rated WAY above the Zeiss for optical quality, but about the same price. I've had my Leicas from Africa and many trips to Australia to Alaska and the Arctic circle, from islands at sea level to over 13,000' with no problems. I have wished for higher magnification a few times and if I thought I was going to do do much more goat or sheep hunting, I'd get a pair of 10's or probably 12 power. I'd get the 8 power again, if for no other reason they would be easier to resell. I've had quite a few offers to buy mine if I ever decide to sell them and at more than the $472 I paid!

Posts: 421 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
That is good to hear and usually what I hear most from Leica owners. Don't have any Stone sheep or Dall in my near future, but have plenty of deer in Northern Minnesota, so the 7x seemed to make more sense. As with scopes, binoculars trends have been to increase the magnification. When I read Jack O'Connor and authors of the same period, there wasn't much big game that couldn't be had with a 4x scope for the long stuff, and a 2.5x Lyman Alaskan for the close shots, 200 yards and under. Binoculars seemed to be 6x30 or 7x35. So maybe it's true, less is more. I suspect if I were to resell, they won't attract the attention an 8x would. But I hope I'm writing about mine 20 years from now as you are.

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I find that higher magnification can be useful in picking up abnormal tines or other details on a buck, but I think you will be very pleased with your selection.

Please take lots of pictures and give us a report when you get back.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
I will send a full report when I get back. I grew up in Texas and therefore did most of my hunting there. It's been a while since I've sat in a box stand and stared down the senderos all day. Here in MN, most of my hunting is out of ladder stands or still hunting through the woods, trying to stay warm. Now that I'll have the box stand, there will be more room. I am going to bring a tripod and setup a video camera that records on mini dvds. That will be used to film so my kids can get a kick out of it. And if I can set it up right and hit record, maybe catch a few shots on camera. We'll see.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Enjoy. You might get some mileage out of rattling as well, as it is about to be that time.

Are you hunting on a family/friend's ranch? I hunt not too far from there, but closer to Carrizo Springs.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470CapstickA2
posted Hide Post
What I found odd in reading this, was that you picked up and tried out the binos, at I'm assuming your local hunting/sporting goods store, but then you say they arrived today... like you mail ordered them. I'm a big fan of supporting your local dealer, so you can "put" your hands/eyes on items and compare them. If you don't support him, your local guy will either quit carrying those items, or go out of business..... it's not worth a few bucks difference on anything that says Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski, etc......

Just my .02

NRA Life Memeber
SCI Life Member
Dallas Safari Life Member
DRSS
We Band of Bubbas

Posts: 404 | Location: Washington, DC/Arlington | Registered: 25 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Prewar, I use both the Leica 8X42 and 10X50's and the 10+ just will not stay still enough for these old hands! They are also much heavier and the 8's are heavy enough. As to resale if you decide to upgrade in 20 years you will be able to find the African hunter who will knock you down to buy them from you.

As to Cotulla, welcome back to the great brush country of S. Texas. I will be returning from just East of Laredo as you arrive. We are receiving our first moisture in eight months, go figure! Hope for drizzle instead of the driving storm that can keep you out of the best country S. Texas has to offer. You should see some bucks in rut as we will get our first freeze in S.Texas tonight and tomorrow night. Looks like your weather could be damp and 50-75 degrees. You arrive with the full moon so forgo those enchilada, borracho beans, nachos, etc and stay on stand from 10-2! Good luck on your return to Texas.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a couple of pictures of a buck I saw this afternoon. I am sitting 20 or so miles east of Cotulla. The deer have been rutting the last week or so. Just to whet your appetite. He is a 5.5 year old 160 class typical 10 pointer with 4 kicker points. I am going to let him go another year.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a great deer M16! I hope ou get him next year.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
470Capstick--don't sweat the local dealer support, which happens to be Cabelas. I pay enough in taxes, including state income tax and 6.5% sales tax. I saved $400 on these binoculars and Cabelas gets enough of my business anyway.

Mugrande my good friend in Austin that owns the ranch called today and said the moisture was coming and the cold weather and everyone was heading home early from work. I think it was 30 or something. I told him yesterday morning when I started my truck it was -9 in Minneapolis and warmed up to a balmy 10 above. Today here it was 23 above and felt like spring. I forgot what it was like living in Texas! His ranch foreman said the buck activity was high. I think the ranch is actually closer to Carrizo Springs than Cotulla, I'll have to find out exactly. I am bringing a heavy framed 10 point MN rack for rattling. So we'll see if those TX deer like the sound of an old MN buck. I have to go now and caress my 7x42 Ultravids.