Notify
Tools

Rifle scope in Carry On Baggage
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Irish Paul
posted
Hello folks,

I was wondering if anyone has had problems carrying a rifle scope in their carry on baggage whilst flying.

I would like to pack a scope in my carry on, and not have it broken/stolen by baggage handlers.

The TSA website states that firearms parts must be checked, but I do not know if this will apply to optics, scope rings and bases.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Paul.

Never use a cat's arse to hold a tea-towel.

Posts: 280 | Location: California/Ireland | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have travelled by air in and to the US every year since 9/11/2001. I *always* carry my optics (including scopes) in my hand luggage. Thus far, I have had no problems.

Occasionally (outside the US), I have run into airport security personel who have complained about my scopes. Fortunately, thus far, there has always been a sensible (experienced) security person at hand to set matters straight. I have never received any hassle from TSA personnel - although I frequently have to unpack my hand luggage and demonstrate the various bits of optics are what they are supposed to be (e.g. you can look through the scope).

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No problems - I always carry two extras scopes in my carry on, along with binoculars and cameras, etc.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I carry extra scopes all the time and never have had any trouble. I think that ammo isues seem to excite the TSA people more--be sure that all your cartridges are together in in a suitable container in your checked baggage.

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. G.B. Shaw

one of us
posted Hide Post
I always carry my scopes in my carryon, along with binos and cameras. Never had a problem. I had 3 scopes and my wife had 2 in our carryons on our last trip.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Irish Paul
posted Hide Post
Thanks everybody!

Never use a cat's arse to hold a tea-towel.

Posts: 280 | Location: California/Ireland | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote