THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Poll: Who's getting in line for the new Savages

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll: Who's getting in line for the new Savages
 Login/Join

<Howitzer>
posted
The new Savages are in!!! They have quite a few new models and chamberings in 300WSM, RSUMs, RUMs, 7mmSTW and 375H&H. As well as the old standards. 223,22-250,243,7mm-08,270 etc, etc...
I like the 10GXP3 in 300 WSM.
The web site is www.savagearms.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
I JUST called Jerry's Sports Center, who are a major wholesaler here in the States. No dice on the Savages yet. I am going to get a .300 WSM lefty to build a different WSM on. Maybe I'll buy a second and leave it as is as a beater. I can't believe that they are "switch hitting" and marketing the WSM's and the RSAUM's as well. I can't wait, as no one else is making any lefty's I know of this year.

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
<hkr>
posted
I'm sorry but as a lefty I can't see buying a new Savage and stripping it to the bolt and start building. If I was looking to build it would be on a lefty Sako. I dont think you would have much more in a Sako action than you would in a new Savage rifle. Plus I think the end product would be much better. As a left handed shooter I commend Savage for offering a wide variety of left handed products, and have had a few that were good shooters, I am not a great fan. Just my opionion, we all have one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Find me a left handed Sako short action with a magnum boltface for $356 and I will. Yes, you are entitled to you opinion, and no, I don't think Savages are the classiest of rifles.

I could use a Remington 700 VS for the action as well. These rifles list for $580. I probably can't touch one for under $680. I'd have to have the bolt face opened up on either action for +/- $75. Magazine work will be an extra $100 at the minimum to have a bigger box and follower installed and feeding properly. That's about $850-900 without a barrel swap or stock.

The Savage is $356. No boltface mods. No mag well mods. Rebarrelling prices are cheaper as the headspace is easier to set with the collar system. I can get a McMillan with a Law Enforcement discount for about $300 or less. That's $656.

I can also have a switch barrel rifle set up for all WSM type calibers with barrels of the same contour that I can change myself. I can have a 6.5 WSM, a 300 WSM and a 35 WSM all on the same action, same scope and same stock. This is my opinion.

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am in line for a Sierra in 300 WSM. I think it'll be a great lil mtn rifle!

FYI-Jesse a shop downtown here has a nice 700/lefty/glass stock/bolt handle changed/3 posi safetey and a Hobaugh barrel in 375.

If I was a full time lefty I would own it.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark-

I was actually going to look you up on here. I've got cash(Uncle sam owe's me this year) and am looking into a spring bear hunt either Montana or Idaho for next spring. I wondered if you guide or have any guide connections up there. Can't find a copy of the "bear magazine" anywhere.

On the rifle......anyway you'd remember the price or phone number of the shop???