Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Best Elk and Deer caliber?????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

If your only hunting Elk,caliber selection is fairly easy.But if you are hunting Elk and Deer "Mulie and Whitetail" at the same time,the choice becomes more complicated.For example,A .338 is not to large for Elk but it is a mite big for an 80# Whitetail.
What single caliber and bullet would you choose for both?

.54 caliber is best for both deer and elk.

I find that a .530 patched ball over 80gr of ffg is great for deer. I boot it up to 100gr of ffg for elk.

Why is this caliber and ball the best? Cause it works and you will generally have less hunting pressure in the muzzle loading firearm season for these species than you do in the modern firearms season.

one of us
posted Hide Post
How about moose, bison, elk, caribou, and deer in bear country? In that country, "The Alaskan" (.338WM) is my all around cartridge. Believe it or not, not even a .375 H&H would be too big for deer. Just don't shoot it through the shoulders. A shoulder-breaking shot would shatter bone and throw fragments around.

Smaller animals hardly offer much resistance to a tough bullet that is designed to penetrate through moose and large game, so expansion is at times minimal. Now, if I use a lightweight and soft bullet, then the higher velocity could make the bullet expand faster. In that case, I would shoot through the lungs to save meat. I friend of mine (a trapper) shot a marmot with his .338WM and a 230-grain FS at about 100 yards. The marmot just rolled down the hill, dead, but the hole through it was not larger than the diameter of the bullet. It looked just like it had been poked through with a pencil.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
Any of the 300's. For me it's a .300 H&H w/ 200 grn Noslers.

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like my .270 Win for deer; But the last two years I have really liked using my .458 Win on deer, I load the 300 gr. Barnes X bullet, it shoots a .75" group at 100 yards and does not ruin the meat. I have not shot an elk but it will work on them too. The recoil is not bad either, but you know you are shooting a High-Powered-Rifle. It's when I use the 400 gr Rem. bullets with my .458 on squirrels that makes my hunting buddies wonder about me. I have to explain to them that I'm just having fun and it is cheaper than their .17 HMR to shoot by about 3 cents per shot.

Posts: 45 | Location: Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 26 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I also have a few rifles that would easily fill the bill. My personal choice now would be the 7mm Rem Mag. It's already been pointed out what good atributes it has. Second, and skipping several decent choices, would be my .338 WM as it is not only enough gun but shoots better than most, and with a couple good choices of bullets it would never be lacking in power for whatever came up, yet doesn't do any more damage than smaller faster ones.
I just happen to have found a rifle thats not only a performer but I just like the way it feels. A Winchester Model 70 in a flat shooter like the 7 mag is what everyone's looking for!

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I find it ironic that whenever Elk gets mentioned there are always at least one or two who will advocate the 7X57 and 308, always several 30-06 fans, but never any mention of the 8X57. What, 195 grains @ 2600 fs isnt enough for Elk?? And anyone who thinks that combination is only good to 200 yds has simply never tried it/been reading too many whizbang brocures. IMHO it is BETTER suited than the 7X57, and 150 grains @ 2900+ fs will do a deer in nice fashion.

Rediscover the 8X57...the best power bang for the recoil buck on the block!

Posts: 10138 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
Westernhunter

Couldn't agree with you more. If I get drawn this year for Elk its going to be 8 x 57 in the lightest rifle I can either find or make.

Blue

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, from my handle you can probably guess, but I'm going to have to go with the .300 Winchester Long Magnum. However, there are a lot of cartridges that fit the bill almost as nicely. Having shot several of them at elk and deer sized game, I keep coming back to my .300 Win Mag loaded with either 180 or 200 grain projectiles.

My .02

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
WSTRNHUNTR, I would have mentioned the 8x57 also but I think there are only about 7 of us in the whole country that still shoot them. In all the camps/lodges I've been in I haven't seen anyone else with an 8 for at least 4-5 years. Mines a prewar sporter with open sights so it's really not useable over 100 yards with my eyes.

Mine also kicks the snot out of me.
lots of drop + a very elegant little forend + hard butt plate + about 6 1/2 pounds = recoil

My 338 doesn't have as much apparant recoil as the "little" 8x57. Still, I love it because it looks so darn good.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Browning Guy,

Make that 9 of us!

Seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Seems like the 7 mm Rem Mag has made the list several times. I believe it would probably be the most suitable for the game mentioned.

The 7 mag doesn't have the recoil of the 300s but, will kill just the same and is flatter w/ most bullet choices.

The 7 mags that I have experimented w/ had very moderate recoil, less than your average 270 or 30-06 for sure.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Browningguy, I bet that if you changed the pitch on that butt plate, it wouldn't beat you up so bad.... FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Make that 10 of us!

MTELKHUNTER

Posts: 508 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just don't see how the .300 Win and 200gr partitions can be improved upon. It's plenty potent and just so shootable.

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Browningguy,

I guess felt recoil is a relative issue,
thanks for the pic and the story behind it..

Look, we're up to 10 now! Could it be a comeback!!

Posts: 10138 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is easy!

416 Rigby shooting a 350 grain soft point at 2785 fps! It will expand well and kill the elk, RIGHT NOW, and will also kill ANY deer with minimal meat damage (or at least no more than say a 12 gauge slug)

Scott

PS - There is NO SUCH THING as TOO MUCH GUN!!

Posts: 1662 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with ScottS. Use plenty of gun. I get a kick out of the African hunters that use a 416 Rigby on Dikers and then shoot them 3 times to avoid a charge.

Posts: 45 | Location: Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 26 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gee, ya think it is enough? i've heard that the .577 tyrannosaur might give you quite an edge. it also would come in handy in case you are attacked by squirrels.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote