Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Virginia
 Login/Join

posted
Work will take me to Virgina early next year. If possible I plan on taking time off for 2-3 days for some hunting. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 29 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
VA is a big state, you might want to indicate where you will be in the Commonwealth

The Lord Bless You

Terry

posted Hide Post
Norfolk.

Posts: 29 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gauti --
Virginia abounds in hunting land and opportunities, if one is willing to scratch around some. First, I would go here: http://165.176.249.121/hunting/

If I've cut and pasted right (questionable), it's the hunting areas page of the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries (VGDIF). It lists and maps of all the public hunting areas in Virginia. The state-maintained Wildlife Management Areas (WMA's)are very good. And there are also other public lands where hunting is allowed. Some have all kinds of rules and restrictions but some do not. There are some WMA's into which you can backpack, mountain bike or horse ride for miles and miles and be as remote from the artificial constructions of man as anywhere in the lower 48.

Hunting private land is more problematic. As our society has coarsened, fewer and fewer landowners want strangers on their land toting firearms for any purpose. But still, it's possible to obtain permission if one is respectful, polite and sensitive ... and persistent and patient.

There are also hunting and shooting clubs. Try to join one. If you are military, there are several fine Navy/Marine Corps related Rod and Gun Clubs. There are other clubs, too, including some of the finest, old school, exclusive duck hunting clubs in the world. You might want to Google all the hunting and gun shops in Norfolk and Hampton Roads, contact them and ask for assistance and advice. Some of them will probably give you some good leads.

Good luck and welcome to The Old Dominion. It's a great state.

Posts: 64 | Location: 19th century | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote