THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    What animal is this?? PICS ADDED- thanks Saeed!!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What animal is this?? PICS ADDED- thanks Saeed!!
 Login/Join

One Of Us
posted
My buddy sent me a couple of photos of a taxidermy mount of an animal that he was curious about.

I cannot tell what it is, though it kinda looks like a Sika deer...sort of??!

Would someone please volunteer to post his digital photos if I send them by e-mail?

This way, we can all see the animal and try to figure out what it is.

BTW, it was apparently shot on a Game Farm in PA in the late 80s early 90s.

Thanks

Administrator
posted Hide Post
You can send it to me, I will be happy to post for you.

Please put "Photo for AR" in the subject line, otherwise it might get zapped by my spam filter.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68788 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Saeed!

I sent them to Canuck, but he may be away for the long holiday weekend here in Canada.

I'll send it from my Yahoo e-mail account.

Administrator
posted Hide Post

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68788 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
From the antlers I would say that it is a young fallow deer. Not a very good mount, though . .. ear position is wrong, the "adam's apple" should be prominent, and it appears that the only color of touch-up paint that the taxidermist had was black!!

Just my opinion . . .

JDS

And so if you meet a hunter who has been to Africa, and he tells you what he has seen and done, watch his eyes as he talks. For they will not see you. They will see sunrises and sunsets such as you cannot imagine, and a land and a way of life that is fast vanishing. And always he will will tell you how he plans to go back. (author: David Petzer)

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MarkH
posted Hide Post
It looks like an immature fallow buck of 2+ years old.I dont think it is a Sika as it does not have a scowling look to its face and there are the beginnings of palmations. I have seen pictures of South African Fallow and their antler development is nowhere as good as their European equivalent.

Hunting is getting as close as you can, shooting is getting as far away as possible.

Posts: 537 | Location: Worcestershire, England | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Immature Fallow for sure.

JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Fallow deer.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
You're all great- I haven't seen any young Fallows in my life and this must be it!

Thank you for looking and sharing your experiences.

I agree that the Taxidermy work is 'interesting'...

one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
quote:
I agree that the Taxidermy work is 'interesting'...

Very politically put!!! thumb "interesting"

Yes, it it a young immature fallow deer.

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
It's a concensus: young fallow (albeit most likely on an improper form).

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
looks like one of those wyoming jackalope

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Definately a young fallow.

I wonder why the taxidermist didn't hang the tail from the bottom of the plaque. That would really add some class. Wink

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
I sent them to Canuck, but he may be away for the long holiday weekend here in Canada.

Hi C-lefty,

Just got your e-mail. Glad to see Saeed could get those pics up for you.....I was out of town since Friday. Smiler

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
It is a young Fallow deer. Wink

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And a very poor job of taxidermy.

Posts: 10376 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
And a very poor job of taxidermy.

I did not want to say that, but I would not hang it in my garage. shame

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Canuck!

Yes, I figured that you were probably out bear hunting or fishing Smiler

Thanks and hope you had a great weekend!

CL

P.S. As for taxidermy, when I said 'interesting", I was being nice, though the average guy on the street would probably love it, comparing it's facial features etc. to Bambi Wink