Find
Notify
Tools

Mt. Lion Killed, this sound fishy?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
----------------------------------------------
A female mountain lion was killed on a ranch in western North Dakota early Sunday morning east of Watford City in the badlands, according to Brent Schwan, state Game and Fish Department district game warden, Watford City.

According to Schwan, the rancher heard a commotion involving his dogs and went to investigate, saw a mountain lion treed about 50 yards from his house, went in the house to get a rifle, and upon returning the lion was on the ground in a confrontation with his dogs. The lion was then shot.

The rancher immediately contacted Schwan, who was on the scene an hour later. Schwan retrieved the carcass and transported it to Dickinson where it is being stored in a freezer until a full examination can occur.

The lion appeared to be a young female weighing approximately 80 pounds. The Game and Fish Department will be doing an analysis of the carcass later this week to obtain all pertinent biological information.

Schwan said the rancher was well within the law in killing the lion. State law specifically allows the killing of mountain lions to protect individuals or their property. The law also requires the Game and Fish Department must be notified - which the rancher did.
---------------------------------

All Im wondering is, what are the odds of a young female lion comming out of a tree to fight 2 or more dogs? Does this story sound slightly fishy?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're right, I think it's very fishy that the rancher claims to have a tree in western North Dakota.

One of Us
Picture of KC Carlin
posted Hide Post
Cougars will bail out of a tree when they feel like it isn't the "safe" place any longer. I think any mature cougar, (and I think a 80lb cougar is mature) will take on 2 dogs.
Having said this, do I think that the rancher simply killed the cat because it was on his property, and not necessarily threatening his dogs.
YES!

Posts: 295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
None of us were there, so I don't think we need to speculate or pass judgement on the farmer.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well he did call the G&F instead of just shoveling, I was just wondering if its very common for a cat to bail out of a tree when there are dogs on the ground if it doesnt absolutely have to.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hers another one from Canada

Canada: Man kills cougar in self-defense
Submitted by: Bruce W. Krafft
There are 4 comments on this story
Post Comments | Read Comments

"Late last Thursday, one Lac la Hache resident had the fright of his life when he came face to face with a 175 lb., male cougar, said Conservation Officer Darcy MacPhee." ...

"The fatal encounter began earlier in the day when the man had been cutting down dead pine and noticed that his animals were acting strangely." ...

"MacPhee explained that later that day the man went to retrieve a power-saw ..."

"It was just before dark and he was a bit nervous because of his animals' behaviour, so he took a firearm with him."

"'He just walked a short distance from his house, saw the cougar and said it was 'loping towards him'.'"

"He waited until it was very close and fired one shot and killed it." ...

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How is killing a cougar fishy?

Posts: 409 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SwiftShot
posted Hide Post
Was it a threat right then I dont think so. The question I have is the animal did not show the right level of fear being in a tree in the guys yard. Thats the one that takes down a kid. The animal knew people where there and did not care. I am just glad the guy had dogs.

Posts: 433 | Location: Washington state USA  | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Swiftshot.

When a wild animal displays 'what you looking at' behaviour in the presence, or around, people and their habitation, I think you have a problem.

There is a reason animals have incissor and canine teeth and claws. Animals are either prey or predator.

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moose-Hunter:
How is killing a cougar fishy?

Exactly.

I would expect that a couger in the yard would get shot.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Hers another one from Canada

Canada: Man kills cougar in self-defense
Submitted by: Bruce W. Krafft
There are 4 comments on this story
Post Comments | Read Comments

"Late last Thursday, one Lac la Hache resident had the fright of his life when he came face to face with a 175 lb., male cougar, said Conservation Officer Darcy MacPhee." ...

"The fatal encounter began earlier in the day when the man had been cutting down dead pine and noticed that his animals were acting strangely." ...

"MacPhee explained that later that day the man went to retrieve a power-saw ..."

"It was just before dark and he was a bit nervous because of his animals' behaviour, so he took a firearm with him."

"'He just walked a short distance from his house, saw the cougar and said it was 'loping towards him'.'"

"He waited until it was very close and fired one shot and killed it." ...

You're just afraid of everything in the woods aren't you? What a way to live your life....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[You're right, I think it's very fishy that the rancher claims to have a tree in western North Dakota.

animal

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pegleg:
[You're right, I think it's very fishy that the rancher claims to have a tree in western North Dakota.

animal

BS, I grew up in North Dakota and I can drive you directly to at least 7-8 trees in western ND. jumping animal jumping

Seriously, if you've never been there you would be suprised at all the trees in the west part of the state.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
WHO CARES THAT HE SHOT IT.

some of you need to get your head out it's his business he shot it.

one less deer killer.

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote