THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Which of these 2 loads should I use for wolf?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which of these 2 loads should I use for wolf?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
Went to the range today. It's not as cold as I would have liked it to be but the forecast doesn't show single digits for another week or so.

270, 150 Berger VLD, Win brass, Fed 215M primer. Outside temp was 35 when I checked for max loads this morning. Then I went back at about 2pm with test loads and it was 40. I used a laser temp reader and the outside of the barrel at the chamber and about 6 inches out never exceeded 46 degrees.

Load 1) 52.5 H4350 produced just over 1/2" 3 shot group two out of two tries. There were no pressure signs and I think I could go hotter but don't want to bother.

Load 2) 51.0 IMR4350 produced very tight groups at about 1/4" for 3 shots. 52.5 grains was the most I tried. No pressure signs but group opened up to almost 1".

Keep in mind, I'm told shots are about 150 yards at the most. That lead me to think of using the hotter of the 2 since temps will probably be b/w -20 and -45 F.

But that little tiny group with the IMR4350 is impressive.

Go hot or go with most accurate? Who knows, by the time the loads see those negative temps, they may not be that accurate anyway.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Within reason, I'd choose accuracy over velocity any day. With that being said, however, the accuracy difference between the two will be impossible to detect under field shooting circumstances.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would go with #2. Real question, which one do you have confidence in?

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I think I'm splitting hairs here. 1/4" difference b/w the 2 at 100 yards. As far as confidence goes, well, with 150 yards being a "long shot" where we are going, I'm confident with any load that would produce a 4" group or less.

I guess I'm just a little worried about the temperatures up there affecting the loads. I'm trying to go hot but when I see a repeatable 1/4" 3 shot group, that's hard to dismiss.

one of us
posted Hide Post
the wolf will know no diffrants after the bullet blowns his lungs and heart out. dancing

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hands down Doc, go with the most accurate load thumb

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
the wolf will know no diffrants after the bullet blowns his lungs and heart out. dancing

True. I decided to go with the 51.0 IMR4350. I had more of that powder anyway. Got 19 loaded in new brass and the other 31 are in the tumbler right now.

Now, if I could just get a wolf to stand still at about 25 yards come February 8th...

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Here's the target:

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Doc, that's great shooting, but the truth is either will do the job. You need to focus on your Zen reading of the groups from this point forward. No news from up north as yet, but weather is improving for them.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
If something happens up there, send pics. I went with the IMR load. I just finished 50 rounds 5 minutes ago.

Peter told me not to worry about the powder but concentrate on making sure my bolt body-in and out are oil free.