Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting Knives and Air Travel
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted
What is the rules for packing my hunting knives for air travel?
Thanks in advance for all replys.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
shipped mine in my suitcase this fall...and a couple in my rifle case with no problems. Not a really big deal...I was concerned too, but really, no big deal

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hank H.:
shipped mine in my suitcase this fall...and a couple in my rifle case with no problems. Not a really big deal...I was concerned too, but really, no big deal

Been doing it the same way for years and years.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put my knives into checked baggage. I also tape the cutting edge to protect security inspectors and my knife edge. Expect the "lowest common denominator".
I travel alot and never had any problems.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Knives and ammo go into your check in luggage..The ammo needs to be in seperated cartons ala factory type boxes..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replys.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I took dozens of cheap folders along as tips for the boys. All in their original boxes and stuffed in my checked luggage. BTW, ordered from SMKW.com

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
Never had a problem with them in my check in baggage.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well If I had a knife that I wouldn't want to lose I would send it in the mail to where ever I was going to hunt. Just took a trip guys and my pocket knife didn't make it and it was in the checked luggage. First time that I have lost something flying but with all the hands into our stuff allowed now it's going to happen. Knife wasn't worth much but it was a gift from my wife and I'd carried it for about 17 years. BB2

When there's lead in the air, there's hope!!!!

Posts: 424 | Location: Ticonderoga NY | Registered: 19 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I lost a diamond sharpener shortly after the TSA started checking luggage. We have relatives that have also lost various items.

If I was going on a hunting trip I would put any knives in with my rifle - you lock that case and keep the key.

Liberals believe that criminals are just like them and guns cause crimes. Conservatives believe criminals are different and that it is the criminals that cause crimes. Maybe both are right and the solution is to keep guns away from liberals.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
As Corax and others have stated just place them in the gun case, that is what I do too. As long as your gun makes it, you'll have your knife too.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote