New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Question on High-End Binoculars
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My hunting mate has a pair of Swarvo 10x42 SLC's ??

They are brilliant and when he purchased them he looked through Leica's and Steiners and others and said they topped the lot.He looked though the steiners and although not as dear as the swarvo's & leica's came in second in his opinion to the Swarvo's.

I wish I could afford a set of Swarvo's

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My opinion is, the perfect binocular still doesn't exist. While some come pretty dang close, there are still a few compromises you'll have to make no matter what you choose. When I talk about compromises, I mean ergonomics, weight, and cost. Cost is getting to be a big consideration because I personally think things are getting a bit ridiculous; $1,300.00 to $1,500.00 for any one binocular is pretty ridiculous in my opinion. I've made a couple of good buys on "used" glass and only have slightly more than that tied up in three top end binoculars.

Anyway, I currently own a Nikon Venturer 10x42, a Zeiss ClassiC 10x40, and just recently purchased a Leica 8x32 BN. The Nikon Venturers are by far the best glass I've ever looked through, but they're also dang heavy; 34.5 oz. heavy to be exact. The Zeiss ClassiC's are ultra clear and relatively lightweight, but are a bit dated design. The Leica 8x32 are fantastically lightweight and compact, but may sacrifice some light gathering ability at first or last light. Out of the three I mentioned, the Zeiss ClassiC 10x40's are probably the best "all around" glass. They feature fantastic glass, weigh 26.5 oz., and are priced well below the others, and while they don't have trick features like a locking diopter adjustment, click adjustable eye cups, or internal focus adjustments, they won't leave you wanting for too much more, and have proven themselves worldwide for decades.

I just recently took delivery of the Leica 8x32 BN's so I haven't had a lot of field time with them, but their size and weight makes me think they'll see a lot of use, especially where long hikes are in order. Their 22 oz. weight makes them barely noticeable, yet they're not so light as to make them difficult to steady.

I guess the short and simple point is, do exactly what you're doing. Ask a lot of questions, do a lot of reading, and most important, go to a store where you can compare they way they feel in your own hands. I don't think a guy can go wrong with any of the major brands (Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski, Nikon Venturers) but one might fit your hands and/or facial structure better than another. For me, the full size Leica's feel terrible. I owned a pair of 10x42 BN's for a short time, and while I loved the glass itself, they felt like a brick in my hand (compromise?). Some guys have complained about the appearance and ergonomics of the Nikon Venturers, but they fit me like a glove, as do the Zeiss ClassiC's.

Again, if I were to own just one binocular, it would probably be the Zeiss ClassiC 10x40's because in my opinion, they offer the best glass, quality, and feel for the money. In my opinon, they're a bargain at $699.99 through Cabelas. If 10x is too much, take a look at the Zeiss 7x42 ClassiCs. There's a brand new pair on Ebay right now with a "buy it now" price of $729.00. Several of the birding sites say they are still the ultimate low light glass. Not sure if you've seen the reviews at www.betterviewdesired.com or not, but if you haven't, there's some pretty good reading.

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a pair of Leica 10x42's and don't look back. I got a pair several years ago for a Mountain Goat hunt and since then I've decided I'd rather go hunting without my rifle than go without those binos.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of 7x42 Leica BAs and I absolutely love them!

There has been more than a couple guides I have hunted with that felt the same way after they took a look through them. Once you actually spend the money on best quality optics you will NEVER go back to lesser glass. Furthermore, you won't understand how you lived without them. They are a purchase you will be glad you made every single time you use them. You can bank on it!

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

If 10x is too much, take a look at the Zeiss 7x42 ClassiCs. There's a brand new pair on Ebay right now with a "buy it now" price of $729.00. Several of the birding sites say they are still the ultimate low light glass. Not sure if you've seen the reviews at www.betterviewdesired.com or not, but if you haven't, there's some pretty good reading.

Hooray recognition at last. I am a GREAT fan of swarovski but when it comes to 7x42s the Zeiss BGAT classic is it. Even the new Leicas have a FOV of 140m when the classics are 150m that does actualy make quite a difference when scanning for movement. I do wonder if Swarovski will ever make a 7x42EL?

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote