New
Find
Notify
Tools

200 accubond, 300 Rum & elk
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
unfortunately, I don't have a photo handy but I just returned from elk hunting in North Central Oregon. I shot a nice sized spike bull at a ranged 295 yds with 200 accubond in 300 rum with muzzle velocity of 3150 fps. hit high just behind shoulder taking out bottom of spine. Really it took it all out. small hole in and about a quarter size out. NO BLOODSHOT MEAT! got a little of the lungs as well. Bull just collapsed at the shot. Not the toughest shot on a bullet but the accubond did real well I think. it definitely did not blow up or overexpand. I'll stay with them. I like the weight and the high BC. I don't find them to be much less flat shooting than the 180's and they hit hard. You can afford to lose some bullet weight upon impact if you start out with a heavier bullet anyway.

Posts: 69 | Location: Milwaukie, Oregon | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lightning
posted Hide Post
I think most have run into problems with this bullet when it get into the 3300 fps range. Two factors I think help you was the distance and the heavier bullet.

Try shooting elk with a lighter 180 gr. at 125 yds. I don't know if you would say the same thing. Out of my 300 Jarret the bullet just way overexpanded.

My buddys 300 WSM the bullet did good. There is a velocity range that works well with this bullet. What are the exact limits is the real question.

Posts: 246 | Location: Argyle, TX | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Even with the .300WSM (3012fps)I would never use 180gr. Accubonds again at under 200 yards for either deer or Caribou. Then again, only on broadside shots.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Last Thursday I shot a mule deer at 25 yards with the 200 AB from my 300 RUM. Quartering away. No problem. Bullet exited with a quarter sized hole. Entrance hole was rather huge though. The force must have caused the outside skin to invaginate inwards. Nevertheless, the deer went down.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Dufur,

I responded a page back in this forum to a thread regarding 180 grain accubonds for elk. My elk, taken 10/2/05 was the same load as yours: 200 grain accubond, 300RUM. My load was approximately 3325 fps @ the muzzle and the shot was 167 yds. Mine weighed 996#. I dunno...I am happy that we both got our elk, but next time I won't be using Accubonds. Looking for old style TBB's if anybody has any for sale. I attached pics of the bullet on that thread if you are interested.

My first elk was shot with TBB's (old style) with my 300 Jarrett (hey Lightning, hell of a round huh?). FYI Lightning: I don't know if you have experienced this or not, but watch for excess brass buildup on the case shoulder when fireforming. After about 3 years of occasional shooting/fireforming a brass "ring" formed in my chamber that prevented the usual sharp shoulder from forming...it actually started fireforming cases with a Weatherby like radius.....then, for whatever reason, pressures shot through the roof. I had to get it re-chambered with a finishing reamer to dig out the brass ring. But that round is, to me, the most efficient 30 cal magnum out there. Take care y'all.

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I usually take two guns elk hunting. If I am primarily going to be sitting and spotting from across a draw or canyon I carry the 300 rum as longer shots are anticipated. If I'm out beating the brush the mod 700 24" .338 gets the nod. That big 5-15 3200 scope and 26" bbl is a bit clumsy down in the thick stuff. sometimes you change plans midstream and you carry what you have with you. I'm sure I'll get burned by this sooner or later and end up trying to shoot elk in the real thick stuff up close with the rum. Then we may really see how the 200 accubond holds up. I hope for a point of the shoulder impact at about 50 yds on a big bull. That should be a good acid test.

Posts: 69 | Location: Milwaukie, Oregon | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hank,
What load were you using to get 3325 fps out of a 200 accubond and the 300 rum. That is smokin! I've only tried RL25 and Retumbo. My gun didn't really cater to the retumbo and liked 92 gr of RL25. My barrel is factory 26". Congrats on your bull!!! 996 lbs! What a pig! Smiler