THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    what do you think of this camo paint job

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what do you think of this camo paint job
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of jb
posted
I got bored and painted up my Baikal goose/duck gun.

Question:
what do you think of this camo paint job?

Choices:
be-u-tiful
nice
acceptable for a waterfowler
dont like it
ick-makes me want to puke on it

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the paint job, but that lacey duvet or comforter or whatever is a little fru-fru for a background Smiler

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
my wife loves that comforter. Roll Eyes

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I forgot to say I used paint with grit in it.Like very fine sand.Should help with the grip on cold,rainy october mornings.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JB,

looks good to me. Not to busy. Looks like it won't reflect a lot of light. Shouldn 't be too slippery with the textured paint. What do you think about it is a better question?
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I dont know yet.I would like to set it out and see how it blends in first.Going by the colors I used ,it should work ok,but Im not sure.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Like GWB mentioned, yours is the only opinion that really counts. Take it out to your favorite hunting spot, check it out -- and if you are happy with it, that's all that matters. Smiler

Of course, if you got any paint or gun oil on your wife's comforter, there might be one other opinion that you'll be hearing... Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
You might want to try taking some leaves, sticks, etc and use them as stencils. Makes for a pretty cool effect.

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
U happy, I'm estatic!

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
I think this is pretty good, how durable would the paints be expected to be?, P.S. Don't forget the lanyard if you put it down! Big Grin

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks good.

Fish, not sure I would want to admit, on AR, that I knew what a Duvet was. shocker shame Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
It looks pretty good, especially for a first time effort. Don't give up!

A little too much "dark." Go for a lighter gray color for the base next time. Or spray some light colors, gray -- tan for example, on the gun. Make sure to give the gun a "vertical" profile.

Check out this link, go to page 89:

Black gun

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Long ago all hunting bows were super shiny and I had to do that to every one.
DC is right, I used to pick up small maple leaves for stencils and it made them pretty to look at. Of course the deer never made any comments.
One evening we had to track a deer so we put our bows down alongside the game lands road along with anything we didn't want to carry. Well our compasses were left behind. dancing It took a while to find our way out in the dark, the PA forest is HUGE!
Then it took an hour walking up and down the road to find our bows. Roll Eyes

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DC Roxby:
You might want to try taking some leaves, sticks, etc and use them as stencils. Makes for a pretty cool effect.

Frowner We should start having leaves again in a few months.Hence the interest in moving south. dancing

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jb:
quote:
Originally posted by DC Roxby:

Frowner We should start having leaves again in a few months.Hence the interest in moving south. dancing

Just use that lacy doily thingy Big Grin

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jumping

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
to a human it looks very good for your first effort. but step away from the gun about 30 yards and it will look totally dark, or black, which ain't bad either. however, to get the best camo you need more light color to break up the dark. the comments about using leaves, etc. for a more natural print are right on. congrats on having the courage to camo your own gun. most folks won't.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Way too much green for 90% of the areas I hunt for ducks, but looks like a labor of love and an all-around good job.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never been bored enough to paint my guns.

But then I've never lived in Minnesota either.

Looks OK to me.

For a painted gun.

White (winter camo) paint would be really boring.....

Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming.

Posts: 263 | Location: SE Colorado | Registered: 24 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
Found some pics of this gun in one of my online photo account folders..here is what it looked like before I painted it.I tried to sell it somewhere,but no one wanted it.

I had some editing snafus on that second pic.I was having trouble getting the edited version to display instead of the original.ended up saving the first edit of that pic as the original,first time using photobuckets edit tools. Confused

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Too green for where I hunt.

The green looks too bright and "Kelly" green to me as well.

Olive Drab with a few black and brown tiger stripes would be my preference.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote