THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Lot of Ultramags for sale, What's up?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lot of Ultramags for sale, What's up?
 Login/Join

<Daddy2B8162>
posted
Well as most who hunt know, you don't really fell the recoil when shooting in the feild at game. But it is the bad habits that are picked up at the range that I think cause most to flinch when shooting at game. I have no problem admiting to using a pad at the range. But then I did put 64 rounds thru my 300 mag on a saturday and 48 more thru on the following sunday when I first bought the gun. I was working on finding a load and bullet combo and didn't have the avalible time to spread it out. But back to the question, as far as the RUM go, I was debating the 375 H&H and the 375 RUM, I went with the H&H, mainly for the fact that in the field it has been proven on large game and that for hunting in AK there is more avaliable if the need would arise. As for the smaller RUM, I will take my 7mm rem mag and 300 win mag and put just as much meat in the freezer as there UM counter parts.

<Mats>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Brian M:
--recoil about equal to an eight or nine pound 30-06,around 22 ft. lbs.

That ain't comfy from the bench.

-- Mats

one of us
posted Hide Post
As far as the recoil thing goes-until you get into the truely large bores (458 Winchester on up),you usually don't feal recoil in the field when shooting at big game.When shooting from the bench with my heavy 45/70 loads or my 458,I take a small sandbag and put it behind the recoil pad,then fold a pillow and put it between that and my shoulder.It spreads the recoil out through half my chest,and even with the 458 I can shoot 50 rounds or so from the bench comfortably.

------------------
I'm out to wrong rights,depress the opressed,and generaly make an ass of myself!

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Felt recoil is a very personal experience. In my case it has lessened with age and experience. I can remember when I thought my 1st 30-06 hurt after 10 rounds. Now 40 rounds in the 45-70 with stout handloads is a walk in the park. I think a lot of it has to do with how you "roll" with the punches. If you try to fight the recoil, it's gonna get ya. Start out slow and work into the cannons.

------------------
Endeavor to Persevere

Posts: 281 | Location: MN | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
<rlineb>
posted
i got rid of my 7mm stw,then got a sks in 7.62 by 39mm,kiiled a deer the next day,one shot one kill and another a few days later one shot one kill,theni bought a 30/06 remington mountain rifle,damn this rifle will be be really overkill on deer due to the fact of the penetration and exit wound of the the 7.62mm russian round in comparison to the 30/06 with anything i load in it,did have a 165 nosler bt going over 3000fps with it,whew!would this be a comparison to the 123gr.hp russian round,dont think so,it would have really blown them up with the 30/06 loads and one 7.62mm russian rounds left as exit hole as big or bigger than your fist(witnessed)..you tell me a 30/06 isn't enough and i'll tell you you're full of shiite!!!!ultra mag's yes,if i were want to blow a whole deer's center out...

one of us
posted Hide Post
At a recent gunshow,there were 4 Ultras that folks were carrying around.Most wanted new prices. It's amazing how accuracy suffers when you close your eyes before you squeeze the trigger and light the fire.

Posts: 26 | Location: Gurdon,Ar. | Registered: 29 January 2002Reply With Quote