New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another NM elk.............@300yds!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well, the ol mac daddy smokepole strikes again on this cow at 300yds. Blew a lot of daylight in her with a 290gr Barnes TMZ! ..........Cheers.....wapiti7

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I almost forgot, this is my buddy, his tag....my smokepole!..........wapiti7

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I'm impressed! What ML is that?

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
What Doc said, what muzzleloader and what is the setup, ie powder charge, bullet etc.

Nice cow--plenty good eating there!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure impressed by both the shot and the rifle. They sure have come a l-o-n-g way from just a few years ago.

Yes indeed, tell us more about the rifle.

And any more Hunt "details" would be appreciated. That story is about like the ones I tell folks that I know don't have any interest in Hunting - Drove down, killed a bunch and drove back.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Three hundred yd capability. Scoped, bipod, laminated stock for stability, jacketed bullet.

"Primitive hunting" at it's best.

FN in MT

'I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens"!

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Frank how's it going?

I was kind of thrown for a loop by the whole cheater thing (bipod) myself.

Never quite thought I'd see the day where a bipod was useful on a mzl loader.

But hey, if it works...

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Don't know if I should socialize with You or not?

I see You were termed a "fanatical hunter" in the current "RIFLE" mag by Barsness!! I really laughed when I saw that one!

After re-reading my post above it seems snide/confrontational......it was meant to be humorous. I always get a kick out of the "primitive" season where bolt action,scoped rifles are used.

I'm going to try to make the December Bozeman Show but can only attend on Sunday the 10th.

Been trying to kill a bull with my Freedom Arms M83 but to no avail. Too many hunters and too few opportunities under 800 yds!! Man but do we have a mess of hunters riding around out here this year. More than I've ever seen. Been a tough year for access, several Ranches have Outfitted or are plain full. Sad commentary on current times I guess.

FN in MT

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dobrenski:
Never quite thought I'd see the day where a bipod was useful on a mzl loader.

Really? Why?

I use one each time I hunt because I take some long pokes with mine as well. I am not that steady with any rifle shooting beyond 200 yards. I need the bipod.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wapiti7

What unit did you hunt?

Posts: 245 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok fellas. We were hunting in chama. The muzzleloader is a custom from Ultimate Firearms. If any of you are interested, I can hook you up with the gun builder. Anyway, I'm shooting 200gr of pyrodex in pellets under a 290 gr Barnes TMZ. I'm getting a little over 2400fps. The gun is very capable at 500yds, atlhough I like to get closer! The rifle will handle up to 300gr of pyrodex, but the accuracy seems to fade. Anyway, me and a buddy are taking it on a cow hunt in the Gila in about 3 weeks in hopes of letting her roar again!!!..............wapiti7

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank-lets try to meet up about 1 pm at the lunch counter how's that sound? I'll get Brad and we can get together and cuss and discuss rifles.

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc-why does it seem weird to me for someone to put a bipod on a mzl loader?

I certainly do underforstand the concept/purpose and wasn't trying to dog on the fella.

It just seems kind of weird to me to think of using a weapon that is usually used in primative weapons season and be able to shoot to long range with it just seems so bizarre to me.

Kind of like a bud that has a new device on his bow that allows him to shoot to 100 yds by turning in some click and sights.

Hey it allows him to shoot to what I would call unreal ranges for a normally short range rig.

Same is true about a mzl loader for my mind.
What next for mzl loaders? People dialing in clicks and taking critters at 4 or 500 yds?

Just the way my mind works I guess.

More power to the fella if it works for him and it is his style.

Glad to see he got a clean kill!

Mark D

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Sounds good. I'll send You a PM a week or less ahead of time. I'm 90% sure I'll be able to make it.

FN in MT

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wapiti7:
...The muzzleloader is a custom from Ultimate Firearms. ...I'm shooting 200gr of pyrodex in pellets under a 290 gr Barnes TMZ. I'm getting a little over 2400fps. ... The rifle will handle up to 300gr of pyrodex, ...
Hey Wapiti, I had no idea a barrel that length "could" consume that much Powder without blowing it out the muzzle. I'm not a BP user, so anything you tell us about it is news to me.

Sounds like quite an impressive rig. Congratulations again on the kill.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hot core, Thats what makes this thing bang so hard. The priming system is using a large magnum pistol primer which is 10x hotter than a 209 primer. That combined with the pellets, which have the fire hole down the middle, allows for a full burn.
100yds 5" high
200yds 1.5" high
300yds 8" drop
400yds 30" drop
This is where mine is. As far as the guys who just dont accept this as a muzzleloader, I'm sorry. But out here in the west, a 300yd shot is very common. As is a 70 yd shot!As you saw with the bull I posted last month. As far as a bipod?? More stability, cleaner kills!..................wapiti7

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Wapiti, An absolutely excellent description that makes it easy for me to visualize what is going on in your rifle.

Have you ever tried a Fed-215 Mag Large Rifle Primer?
---

By the way, I was flipping through a Cabelas catalog(I think) and spotted a screw-in Breech Plug that had a long small tube for extending forward into the barrel. I figured that was to get the fire started down into the Powder rather than at the Base. Had no idea if it was a gimic or not for BP.

Similar Extended Tubes are discussed somewhere in the old PO Ackley Manuals for "Front Ignition" on regular smokeless cartridges.
---

I'm known to be a good bit "old fashioned" when it comes to my Reloading, but I'm all for Modern advancements in firearms. If it wasn't for that, we would still be tossing rocks at Game.

Thanks for the fine info. Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As far as the extended tube goes, if you read "Hell I was there" Elmer talks about using a tube to ignite all the powder, but it was a tedious process that was beyond the abilities of the manufacturers of the day

Posts: 61 | Location: FT Carson CO | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Brent, Got any idea "How" they made the Extended Tube inside the cartridges?

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hot core, Thats what makes this thing bang so hard. The priming system is using a large magnum pistol primer which is 10x hotter than a 209 primer. That combined with the pellets, which have the fire hole down the middle, allows for a full burn.
100yds 5" high
200yds 1.5" high
300yds 8" drop
400yds 30" drop
This is where mine is. As far as the guys who just dont accept this as a muzzleloader, I'm sorry. But out here in the west, a 300yd shot is very common. As is a 70 yd shot!As you saw with the bull I posted last month. As far as a bipod?? More stability, cleaner kills!..................wapiti7

first of all a magnum pistol primer IE CCI 550 is about 10x LESS powerful than a 209 primer. When we snap a couple 209's off with my dads ML its sounds like a 22LR is going off. My CCI 550's that I use to set off my austin & halleck ML is just a pop, much much less than a 209. I use primed pistol brass as a primer carrier.

I have also never heard of a ML rated at more than 150grns of pyro pellets, if its rated more than that you might as well be using smokeless powder

I have no doubt your gun is capable of makeing a 300 yard shot, but please don't post on the internet bragging about this, There are archery hunters, and traditional ML people argueing about what should be legal and whats not, the arguement is a ML shoots just as well as a centerfire, Many are seeking to limit or do away with muzzleloading seasons in my area. I have shot deer at long distances with a ML but I will not post the distance, for fear of fueling the antis who are seeking to take away my ML opportunity, even the traditional and inline guys can't agree and are fighting amongst themselves.

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry about the typo...large magnum rifle primer. Also, just because you've never heard of a ML thats rated over 150gr of pyrodex, doesn't mean that it does't exist. Second of all, I don't care what "other ML hunters" think. I still only get one shot and it's a cleaner harder kill. This year, 1 oryx and 2 elk died to 1 shot, nothing lost. Hit hard and dropped! So people can say what they want, but I'm not the guy out looking for a wounded animal...................wapiti7

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wapiti7
Man that is one COOL ML BOOM
Have you ever shot the 250 gr Branes MZ?
Im thinking I might have to have one of these Eeker

You can't kill them setting on the couch.

Posts: 413 | Location: Roamin' the U.S. for Uncle Sam. | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry about the typo...large magnum rifle primer. Also, just because you've never heard of a ML thats rated over 150gr of pyrodex, doesn't mean that it does't exist. Second of all, I don't care what "other ML hunters" think. I still only get one shot and it's a cleaner harder kill. This year, 1 oryx and 2 elk died to 1 shot, nothing lost. Hit hard and dropped! So people can say what they want, but I'm not the guy out looking for a wounded animal...................wapiti7

I am not complaining about animal wounding, like I have said I make long shots too with my ML, I run 3 pyro pellets and a 200grn shockwave, at over 2200fps, this load is capable out to well beyond 300 yards on deer. problem is we can't use a powered scope in utah, which means I am stuck with a red dot, and the 3 MOA dot looks pretty big overlaid on any deer beyond 200yds. my gun shoots this setup into about 1.25 MOA, its not my most accurate but offers the max overall performance.

Stuff like this just fuels opposition, technology has made it so we have centerfire performance, I sure hope one day we don't loose our season as a result, congrats on the elk

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cummins cowboy:
technology has made it so we have centerfire performance

all the more reason to use it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cummins cowboy:
...Stuff like this just fuels opposition, technology has made it so we have centerfire performance, I sure hope one day we don't loose our season as a result, congrats on the elk
Hey CC, Having watched how all this works for many years, I've come to believe it really doesn't make a difference "what or how" we go about our Hunting and Killing to the Ultra-Leftist Radical-Liberals, they want ALL OF IT STOPPED. From my perspective, there is no downside to the latest and greatest equipment and methods. Even our purchasing the stuff stimulates the economy, especially if we buy "Made in USA" products.

ANY Hunting related Rights or Privileges we loose are because of folks voting for the democrats. You can say Thank You to any democratic voters you know for the Wolf being tossed back in where they are not wanted - done by babbit under moscow bill.

The NRA has it's work cut out for them over the next few years. If anyone wants to help "grease the politicians"(which is sadly the way it works), now is the time to send in monetary support.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PRDATOR, no I have never used a 250. I actually stared off using a 300gr Hornadt SST, but I wasn't happy with the bullets performance. So I went to the 290gr Barnes TMZ and it's evil. There's talk from Barnes about making a 400gr bullet and I would love to shoot it! The thing about the heavier bullets is that they maintain more energy down range. More energy, more dead!!
If you have anymore questions, just holler.................wapiti7

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Neat outfit. What caught my eye was your note about being in the Gila in 3 weeks - I will be in 16C for the Dec 2 season - look for a Cabelas alaknak tent.

Liberals believe that criminals are just like them and guns cause crimes. Conservatives believe criminals are different and that it is the criminals that cause crimes. Maybe both are right and the solution is to keep guns away from liberals.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Corax, We're going to be down there on the 9th. Plus, your unit is south of us. Good luck, there are lots of elk. Do you live in NM?................wapiti7

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish I lived in New Mexico. Maybe in a few years. Right now I live in Houston. I got a cow in 16C two years ago - I really enjoy hunting there. Cold at night though after the stove dies down. The first year I did this I used a backpacking tent, then got the alaknak since I wanted something I could put up by myself.

Liberals believe that criminals are just like them and guns cause crimes. Conservatives believe criminals are different and that it is the criminals that cause crimes. Maybe both are right and the solution is to keep guns away from liberals.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! thumb

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote