Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a Buffalo hunt.....
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
I'm looking for a meat hunt for a Buffalo (Bison). I shot one in 2007 and it was some of the best meat I've ever had.....and now we're almost out. So time to shoot another one!! I know there's plenty of places out there with Buffalo, but most are a little over priced. I'm looking for a 1-2 day hunt for under $1,100. Cow or bull, doesn't matter as long as it's not small. Any of you guys out there have some available? or know of someone who does? The hunt needs to be in Texas. Thanks.

ES

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I saw this on another board but do not know the guy. He sold a couple of Elk hunts and one guy seemed pleased but the other had issues. That second guy has had a lot of bad luck so I can't comment on who did what to whom.

CAVEAT: I am not suggesting the hunt and it is cleary a freezer-filling exercise, but just wanted to provide the info.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I heard the place where they filmed Dances with Wolves is a good place to hunt. The details elude me.

I remember a post here on AR about Bison hunt with recommendations. It might be in the Rest of the World Hunting Report.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
triple u buffalo ranch - ft pierre s.d.- do it in nov.dec and there is a process plant in town that will cut & Freeze for about 225-250 in 2 days, so while you wait go east a few miles and go pheasant hunting

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you are going for more of a harvest than a hunt. If that is so, you can buy buffalo live on the hoof for a lot less than you are already willing to pay. I buy them to use while training horses, and the typical 2 year old (not mature but still 6-700 lbs.)heifer is around $400-650 on the hoof, as I recall, and livestock prices in general are pretty low right now. Shouldn't be hard to find buffalo herds right there in TX. If the hunt is really what you are going for, I'd be sure that the animals are in fact wild, or there won't be much difference between this and shooting a cow in the pasture. For instance, I could easily shoot a buffalo heifer I now have with a bow anytime I want, as she is used to people and will let me walk within 40 ft easily. Please note that I am not accusing you of lacking in sportmanship, just sounded like the meat was more important to you than the hunt, and this would be less expensive. My .02

BTW, if you are going for the hunt, the pheasant hunting while you wait for the meat does sound pretty good.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Painted Horse
posted Hide Post
They host the annual buffalo round up on Antelope Island in November each year. These are free roaming buffalo that inhabit a state park. Once a year the Park service rounds up the buffalo, gives each a quick health exam. And sells off excess animals. these animals are natural. Eat native grasses, no grains or additives.

They auction off around 300 buffalo each year to the high bidders. There are several butcher on site that will slaughter and cut the buffalo for you. Most of the buffalo sold go to Ranches that want to diversify their gene pool, or to ranches that sell hunts and need more buffalo than they can raise on their own property.

There is very limited hunting allowed on the island, Ony 10 tags are issued each year for hunting. And even those are accompaned by a park ranger. So most of the herd numbers are controlled by the November auction.

Posts: 232 | Location: Utah | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hawes Ranch in Kansas. 100% positive feedback.

Lee & Tamie Hawes, www.hawes.org

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.....but like I said in my first post, it needs to be in Texas. Thanks though.

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
You will probably just have to keep looking around ES.

I hear of some from time to time, but kind of like what Daniel said, they really ain't much of a hunt, and I ain't sure if you can find one for a cow for 1K or under.

There was a place in southern or southeastern Oklahoma offering cow hunts for around $700.00 or so a couple of years back, but I can't remember the address.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Yeah.....I know they're not much of a challenge. I shot a middle-aged bull back in Feb. 2007 and posted a report here: http://forums.accuratereloadin...331062301#5331062301

I found that hunt thru an ad in the Houston Chronicle. It was $1,000 for a bull and $850 for a cow. I've found a couple places that are close, but I haven't really looked that in depth yet. I've been really busy lately.

I'm going to do it with my .45-70 this time.....so I would like to find a place where they're not tame, even though they're never really super wild. The last one I shot was in a surprisingly spooky herd.....but they were hunted quite often.

Thanks guys.....keep the suggestions coming if yall have any. But like I said, it needs to be in Texas.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just curious why it "has to be in Texas"? I know that, by your own admission, you have never hunted anywhere else, but that does limit your opportunities somewhat.

I know several places in Wyoming and Montana that will be able to provide what you are looking for. But, they ain't Texas.

It may surprise you, but there are a lot of places other than Texas that you can hunt.

But, to each his own. Check EBAY. Sometimes they have bison hunts in Texas listed. Don't know if they have any right now, but I've seen them listed before.

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
MAC,

I would love to hunt a trophy bull someday in Wyoming, Montana, or South Dakota.....but this is just for us to fill up our freezer and I'm on a strict budget. We really can't afford to spend more than about $1,200 total and it would definitely cost more than that to fly or drive to Wyoming and do a cow hunt.

Now if someone can find me a hunt where I can fly to another state, hunt a cow/young bull, get it de-boned, and get the meat home to Texas for $1,200 please let me know. I would love to do that, but I doubt a hunt like that can be done for that price.

I would very much like to hunt outside of Texas, but this year isn't the year for me. Money is getting harder and harder to come by, unfortunately.

Thanks guys.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Try contacting Mark at MMK www.mmkoutfitters.com. I believe he has buffalo hunts within your price range.

Also, none of my business, but if you're truely trying to get to Africa, $1200 will go a long way and pay a deposit for such a hunt, or at least a good portion of a PG hunt in Namibia or RSA.

Good luck with the buff!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
Try contacting Mark at MMK www.mmkoutfitters.com. I believe he has buffalo hunts within your price range.

Also, none of my business, but if you're truely trying to get to Africa, $1200 will go a long way and pay a deposit for such a hunt, or at least a good portion of a PG hunt in Namibia or RSA.

Good luck with the buff!!!

Thanks. You're right about $1,200 going a long way for a deposit or something like that. But the thing is, this is truly just for the meat. We do this instead of buying beef. Since I shot the first one almost 3 years ago, we haven't bought beef for anything. We use the buffalo as a beef substitute. It's healthier and honestly, it does taste better to me.

Thanks. I'll have to give Mark a call.

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
If you are doing this strictly for the meat, you really do need to look for a buffalo breeder, who raises them just like cattle. I promise you it will be cheaper than a "hunt".

might try this link, it may help.

http://frasiercuttinghorses.ho.../CuttingBuffalo.html

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eland Slayer,
If you find a hunt that is reasonable I would like to get one as well. We can take my truck even.
Okie

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 599 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How much does a BISON hunt cost?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found one here in Texas for 1200.00 It is more of a shoot instead of a hunt. This is for a cow, you get to keep the whole thing. Skinning and quartering available.
Okie

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 599 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Thanks Okie,

I actually just sent the deposit for a hunt this weekend. I'm supposed to go on Dec. 20th for a mature cow......$1,000. Thanks for the help guys.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where did you end up going?

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
MMK Outfitters