Find
Notify
Tools

What do you find most important?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted
Guys, thinking of buying some land in Texas for deer hunting etc. I am looking to buy approximately 2000 acres and want the land to be in the central/northeast area of texas. That being said, what are the most important considerations when looking at land for hunting in your mind? Discuss...

--->Happiness is nothing but health and a poor memory<---Albert Schweitzer
--->All I ever wanted was to be somebody; I guess I should have been more specific<---Lily Tomlin

one of us
posted Hide Post
gosh, I think we will need a little more info. For example:

what area do you consider to comprise central/NE Texas?

what are your goals?:
investment potential?
hunting?
fishing?
price?
liquidity (do you plan on selling in the future?_
do you plan on living there?
is beauty important?
access to shopping/medical important?

if hunting is your only consideration, here are a couple of thoughts:

finding 2000+ acre tract north and east of Austin is going to be more difficult than in West Texas or South Texas.

Are you willing to spend some more $$ on things like high fences to keep out deer from your heighbors?

How far from Austin are you willing to drive?

The farther from metro areas, the less $$/acre you will pay but the less appreciation potiential you will have.

Prices for ranch land are generally cheaper east of I35 than west (until you get way west)

If you want big deer potential, without substantial deer management expense, you need to go to south texas.

just a few thoughts...

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted Hide Post
I would consider the area to be anywhere north/northeast/east of San Antonio. My goal is to provide deer/hog/turkey hunting and some fishing for family and friends. Price is somewhat dependent upon the area and amenities already available on the land. I am not willing to limit myself at this point with a price ceiling. I plan on spending weekends and probably a few weeks out of the year there, so a house for a family is not necessary. I will most likely construct a hunting cabin of some sort. Beauty is moderately important...I would rather good hunting and fishing than great beauty. Access to shopping/medical is relatively unimportant.

--->Happiness is nothing but health and a poor memory<---Albert Schweitzer
--->All I ever wanted was to be somebody; I guess I should have been more specific<---Lily Tomlin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
what are the most important considerations when looking at land for hunting in your mind?
Water, good brouse, more water, edible crop potential(beans, corn, etc.), lots of water, shape of the land so you don't have other folks right on top of you and finally bunches of water.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Water
Improvements, or my time and/or willingness to improve it
$$$/ac
Mineral rights
Flood potential
livestock potential
crop potential
lease potential for livestock/crops
Home potential...you just might want to live there someday, I know I would!

You'll want to run some crops/livestock or look into the program with TP&W whereby you manage the entire tract for game, don't high fence it, and still get the Ag exemption for taxation...I hope your bank account is up to it, good land is pricey!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote