New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double main beam blacktail
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I took this great buck on Saturday hunting with Dylan Carr up in Humboldt County. He had some early pics of this buck in velvet showing the start of a double main beam. I didn't really give him much thought, was after a trophy 4x4 and have not been that interested in non-typical bucks. I got a great chance to watch this one through a spotting scope and ended up deciding I really wanted him. We were able to ease up in to a grassy field and take a 200 yard shot at him off a pack. He's in the PLM so I could use either rifle or bow but elected to just take him with the rifle. I got to use my new Cooper in .270. He dropped at the shot (140gr winchester accubond) recovered the bullet just inside his hide on the off shoulder.
Then that night I took my first pig with my bow! Was a great weekend for me.

I made a short clip of him to get a better look at his rack:

Clip on Youtube

Here is the view of the shot. The buck was standing in front of that white deadfall. Was with two other bucks that had moved off but he just stood there for us until I made the shot Dylan was able to get it on video.

Posts: 161 | Location: La Honda, California | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
You were going to pass on that deer!? Eeker I think you need to see a doctor because that is one awesome deer!

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice deer. And the wood on your rifle is exceptional! I'd be afraid to get any pig's blood on it.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Very nice trophy Sean! Congratulations.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Nice buck!

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
That's an exceptional buck -- and a nice piggie as well. thumb

What were the temperatures like during your hunt?

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a deer of a lifetime

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome.Great buck.Congrats!!!!

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Very well done - all the makings for a great hunt there!

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Congrats, Sean. That is one unique buck.

clap

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done, brother.

"Shoot hard, boys."

Posts: 115 | Location: Duluth, MN | Registered: 17 April 2007Reply With Quote