New
Find
Notify
Tools

First Buck of the Season
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I finally broke the ice and pulled the trigger. I had been hunting a buck with split back tines and a kicker when this old boy showed up. This was the first time our paths had crossed this year. Last year during the rut he was chasing a doe and came within twenty yards of me. He was a really nice wide ten pointer that I judged to be 6.5 years old but decided to let him go another year to see if he would get bigger.

As it turned out he dropped to a nine pointer this year. I knew he wouldn't be a high scoring deer but the shape of his horns and wide spread tripped my trigger. The deer was roughly 200 yards away when I shot. I shot hit him in the neck and he went down. We just let him lay when after about five minutes my wife who was hunting with me said "he's getting up"! I shot him again this time behind the shoulder and he dropped for good.

He has nine typical points and the outside spread is 24.5 inches. Beams are over 24 inches and the longest back tine is 11. We rough scored him last night at 154 and change. Field dressed weight was 184. Even though he's an upper level management buck I'm going to put him on the wall. Here is a picture.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell of a deer!... Congratulations. At which county/ranch were you?

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Very nice -- congratulations.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most impressive! Dark horns look great, too! congrats!

Posts: 165 | Location: mississippi | Registered: 12 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Beautiful deer.

What pose are you going to have him in when you take him to the taxidermist?

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
My ranch is located in La Salle county east of Cotulla. It called Rancho El Mino.

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
A deer to be proud of!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Nice buck, Larry. Love those high and wide deer!! I take it this cool snap has the bucks running in the brasada?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7542 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Russell, Sorry to hear about how your hunt in Oklahoma went. The bucks are starting to run at the does a little bit. I would imagine they will get the show on the road in another week or so. Here is a close-up picture.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Got to love those "management" Deer. rotflmo

What a horse. Congrats on taking a heck of a deer.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He'd a 'tripped my trigger' too....or I'd a tripped it--whatever.

Handsome deer--upper level management buck for sure!!

Good on ya!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gotta love the deer and the rush. Great deer
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice deer Good Job

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
m16 - a very nice buck - congratulations -

quote:
Even though he's an upper level management buck I'm going to put him on the wall.

i am unfamiliar with the term, "upper level management buck." what does that mean?

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great buck. I had a hog do the same thing, shot in the neck then get up minutes later, this weekend. That really gets the heart pumping!

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
i am unfamiliar with the term, "upper level management buck." what does that mean?

Most people who hunt in Texas do not want to shoot a trophy deer unless it has ten points or more. So eight and nine point deer are considered management deer. Most management deer will score 120-145. Every once in a while an eight or nine pointer will grow larger than 145 and we consider them upper level management since they have less than ten points. Also some bucks with ten or more points are considered management when they are mature and don't score more than 145. Mature deer less than eight points that score less than 120 are usually considered cull deer. Different regions and different ranches have their own definitions of cull and management bucks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
i understand now -

thanks for the explanation, m!beer

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
M16,

Great explination. To simplify it, and expand a bit, I just say a Management deer is a 4 year old deer that does not show the potential or traits to become a trophy. Regardless of number of points. I have shot 10 pt management deer and passed on 4 year old 8 and 9 point deer because they were huge, and a trophy by darn near anyones standards.

An important note is that it is usually not possible to determine if a deer can not grow to a trophy before he reaches 4 yrs. old. It is possible to see 2 and 3 year old deer that you know will be true monsters when they mature. But some just need time to show their potential.

I prefer to shoot the Management deer at 4 yrs old and the trophies at 5 or 6 or older. Reasoning is to let the trophies breed a few more seasons and prevent the management bucks from passing on their genes any longer than necessary.

While no system is foolproof, and this is a rough plan at best, this is the method I use to determine trophy vs Management.

Of course, trophy is relative to your areas genetics and ones definition of trophy.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Great looking managent buck

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3107 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Beautiful old deer - congrats!

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote