THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Camo and scent blockers-do they work?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Camo and scent blockers-do they work?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I notice that everyone preaches about camo and espicaly scent blockers these days.

A few years back,I used to wear full camo.I saw plenty deer and always killed my buck.

Then I ripped my last pair of camo pants out,and started hunting in blue jeans but still wore my camo shirt and hat.

Then,I forgot my camo shirt on a long hunting trip,so I went hunting wearing "street clothes" and a camo hat.Killed a nice buck and saw plenty others.

Now I wear street clothes and whatever hat I am using,and that's usualy not camo.

As for scent blockers-never used them,never will.I still see lots of deer and kill my bucks,so why do I need a scent blocker?

Deer hunters just twenty years ago didn't even have camo,let alone scent blockers.Chuck Adams,who now preaches about camo,used to hunt in a plad shirt up until a few years ago when Realtree started paying him to push their product.

So what do you all think-are camo and scent blockers really needed?One must remember that game is no smarter now than they were a hundred years ago,and people still managed to kill the whitetail almost into extinction wearing work clothes and probibly smelling like death warmed over.

------------------
I'm out to wrong rights,depress the opressed,and generaly make an ass of myself!

[This message has been edited by Brian M (edited 02-04-2002).]

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never used them. I just put on some clothes and go hunting. I've gotten a deer every year and wether they could smell me or not, I have had all kinds of critters walk up to me.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used both, mainly on bow hunting. I have took game in just dark clothes, nothing flashy, so I know it doesn't have to be camo. As to the scent blocker, I have used it but can't confirm if it works or is made to sell.
Last november on opening weekend it was hot here and the bugs were eating us up. I forgot traditional wisdom and used some bug spray in the third day. Shot a nice doe from about 35 yards, she never knew. I know they can smell good, but I got her before she got me.
Good luck and good shooting

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been hunting all kinds of animals since the early 50's. I have never worn camo, cept while in the military, and never will cept maybe for a hat, one of those gimme's, nor have I ever used any type of scent blocker. I normally wear levis and a matching shirt usually both are well faded.

I have had deer and other animals walk up and almost put their nose in my hip pocket. As long as I did not MOVE.

I laugh a lot at the big bucks the dudes who come out here hunting every year. They prob spend enough for all the scent blockers and camo to pay for a good hunting lease. But, its their money and they belive it will work.. So be it.

Just my 2 cents.

Pecos

Posts: 93 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
<10point>
posted
When I was forced to Bow-hunt from the ground years back, due to injury, I started experimenting with all these "scent products". I now have a carbon scent suit, which I wear under my camo.

Without question they work, tho many of the deer ive had come close were younger ones. Ive even had deer come into my spot from downwind, tho again, mostly younger ones.

A whitetail deer has a nose so powerful we have difficulty even understanding it. There is no way you can hide your scent, completely to a downwind deer, especially a hard-hunted buck. What they do, I think, is diminish your scent enough to make the deer think you are farther away,or, have long since gone.

I do think they give you an edge, and a big one..............10

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know a lot of guys who chew Skoal while they're in a tree stand and spit right below them. These same guys seem to get their bucks and bears as well. I guess it's that wintergreen cover scent.

------------------
JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I allways had a great fear the ranchers dog would lift his leg on me if I looked like a tree and had no smell!

I seldom use camo and never considered going around smelling like deer eurine, apples maybe, urine never...

I prefer to stay downwind and it makes my friends happy too....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While I wear some camo,(here in West Virginia, its a way of life) I think good hunting practices; wind direction, air movement, the ability to SIT STILL, etc far outweigh any scent blockers or camo. Your head/breath emit as much scent as the rest of your body. And, to a deer, a plaid shirt is camo.
I think its just some more "stuff" to sell to the arm chair great white hunters.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote