New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dress in the field
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Over the years I've read quite a few loading books, magazines and threads on this site that have featured hunters hunting or with trophies.

One thing has allways struck me - the level of casual clothes worn. Jeans, baseball jackets, no gloves, often no binos, no pack, no shooting sticks, quite often no hat....

This is by no means a flame - there have been some impressive trophies etc but it amazes me that in such a big and wild country people, many hunters appear to be dressed for a short walk in the park.

I find it hard to get more than 30minutes from the car but will wear a hat with a faceveil and thin gloves even in the height of summer.

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=297420&c=500&z=1"] [/url]

This would be normal attire for hunting in the UK, the faceveil is put away as I've shot a buck and the gaitors are off as the dew has evaporated from the grass.

What gives?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your style of dress is the same as the citidiots/ wanna-be-Rambos/ weekend warriers wear where I live, the bib-overalls and baseball hats are what the locals wear.
Of course the locals average 1/2 a hour between walking out the door with the rifle and returning with their deer.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I didn't realize that a hunters dress was such a big deal until I moved to Europe. Most Americans and Canadians wear jeans and ???depending on the weather. Jeans are tough. A lot of cammo pants are not.

In Africa I wear khaki safari kit, in my Wyoming home I wear jeans and a t-shirt for antelope and more for elk-deer.

I own cammo pants but I rarely wear them hunting. I like jeans more.

Most western states have orange requirements. I never saw the point of wearing anything other than jeans with orange.

You will never see a man wearing tweed breeks, a barbour, and a waistcoat in the USA or Canada. At least I never have in my 30 years on this planet.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Interesting subject...As a stalker in the UK, my dress for the most part is governed by practicality as opposed formality.

Having said that, I don't ever wear jeans when stalking and can't remember the last time I saw anyone else wearing them for stalking either. The main reason for this is that they are horrible when wet and its cold and wet a lot in the UK!

On relatively gentle terrain, I wear wellies and breeks as breeks are by far the most comfortable/convienent pants to where with wellies. In the hills I tend to prefer waterproof trousers,and boots topped with gaitors if the weather is bad.

I am not too bothered about cammo one way or another, other design considerations are more important. I want clothes that are quiet and preferably waterproof for the most part. You will not find me wearing Barbour while woodland stalking as it is too noisy for my taste.

I always wear some sort of hat, and gloves, and will don a face veil if I think i need it...

In other field sports such as driven pheasant shooting formality and tradition do govern dress coes to a large degree...even as a lowly beater helping out on a a local Estate, I always wore a shirt and tie on the a shooting day.

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have old pics of my grandad and his friends Muledeer hunting, Pronghorn hunting and Whitetail hunting. In all of these pics they've killed game and not a stitch of camo is to be found. Most of their rifles were old military rifles (30-40Krag) or Model 92's and NONE of them had scopes. Cover scent, face masks, 4 wheelers, shooting sticks?.....nyet

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never wear jeans in the bush, they are about the worst possible choice for serious hunting in B.C. mountain conditions. For many years, I wore tweed breeks imported from England, they were and are superb for mountain hunting and quiet in thick bush when after Whitetail Deer. I wish I could find another pair as my old Black's "knickers" have finally worn out.

My over-all favourite is Filson's wool whipcord pants, stagged high like Bullbucker's pants and worn very loose, this with gaitors appropriate to the conditions. I also like and use synthetic fleece sweatpants a lot and cotton anything is good for buggerall in the bush, IMHO.

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think people get too constipated over what is considered to be correct dress for the field. The trick is to wear what works for you and does the job, that is keep you warm and dry, which as Pete pointed out is a top priority with the weather here in the UK. When I go stalking, woodland stalking, I am always covered in cammo, but, that is only because that is the only "colour" that suitable clothes come in, not because of some wish to be Rambo.

Jeans would be great if you could guarantee staying dry, barbour jackets are great if noise is not an issue and you do not plan on trekking a great distance as the condensation is miserable, tweed breeks are, in my opinion, the most comfortable and practicle type of leg decoration there is. As for hats, I always wear one, normally a tweed cap, this is to prevent the vast area of skin that lives where my hair should from burning in the (rare) Summer sun and freezing in winter.

Formal shoots demand formal dress, which normally means your normal rough shooting kit plus a collar and tie, so, it is not hard and it is part of our sporting heritage.

I live in the Highlands and my normal spring/Autumn/winter daily dress would be breeks, never in the midge season as those little buggers get through stockings no bother at all. In the Summer, midge season, moleskin trousers are the answer any full length trousers will do. So I guess the answer is to wear what ever you want to, as long as you feel comfortabe.

I'll shut up now

John

www.kosaa.co.uk

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Posts: 275 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailgunner:
Your style of dress is the same as the citidiots/ wanna-be-Rambos/ weekend warriers wear where I live, the bib-overalls and baseball hats are what the locals wear.
Of course the locals average 1/2 a hour between walking out the door with the rifle and returning with their deer.

1. I'm local
2. I do this year round
3. What I wear is CHEAP (jacket £10 a time) so that when it gets torn to shreds on barbed wire and crawling through thorn I don't spend a fortune
4. Nice offensive turn of phrase there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What you wear in the field depends mostly on what conditions are and partly on your own personal taste/habits.

Ninety-nine percent of my hunting is done in warm, dry conditions. I know some who will wear shorts, but I prefer jeans as keeping annoying/biting insects away from exposed parts is difficult enough as it is without rendering the lower 2/3rds of your legs vulnerable to the little buggers. As an aside, those guys pictured tromping around in the African bush in khaki shorts have always amazed me, as I can't think of a place with more biting insects, piercing thorns, and grabbing briars than Africa (unless it would be South Texas). I want my pale, tender skin covered under such conditions (as well as to trick me into feeling a little less vulnerable to venomous reptiles)!

At the same time, I've had enough experience with cool, wet places to know that my favored jeans are a poor choice if you're traversing wet vegetation or exposed to a penetrating mist or drizzle. I don't even own any wool pants, but they are probably the very best solution to wet weather hunting. Sub-zero hunting in the snows of Alberta is best addressed with several layers of modern synthetics, I would think.

As to style itself, we Americans pay relatively little attention. However, I can't say that I have any critcism of the Brits and Europeans who enjoy enhancing the flavor of sport hunting with fashionable (and utilitarian) attire!

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Well, I've read some responses about grandfathers etc. not needing camo and I have also seen plenty of old photos where no camo was worn.

Ultimately, I would argue that there was a heck of a lot less hunting pressure back in the mid 1900's so some of the fancy and mysterious chemicals used today in hunting were not necessary. And of course still aren't in many places.

But, some hunters have to get in that "mode." Part of the anticipation might just be that new camo the wife got you for father's day or your birthday, or whatever.

Last year, I was at work till 4pm. It got dark at about 515pm. I had a call from a lady who owns property where I hunt and told me she had been seeing a ton of deer. I got in my stand, in my casual-dress clothes with a heavy black jacket, bow in hand. I was ready to hunt at 445pm. 10 minutes later a big doe walked by and then suddenly ran off...probably because she had a 3 blade Muzzy punch through her vitals.

Sure looked funny, me in my work clothes with a doe in the back of the truck.

I do not wear camo if I'm hunting from a blind, but I do if I'm in certain areas of high pressure from hunting.

The wind is the number one factor, IMO.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1894mk2:
1. I'm local
2. I do this year round
3. What I wear is CHEAP (jacket £10 a time) so that when it gets torn to shreds on barbed wire and crawling through thorn I don't spend a fortune
4. Nice offensive turn of phrase there.

Offensive phrase not aimed at you (or other stalkers/game keepers). Your dressed for the needs of your area/conditions, nothing wrong with that.
However that is also the style espoused by the hunting rags here, and what's worn by the city boys (you may have heard about them, they buy there rifle/ammo/gear the night before going hunting, and hope there's enough space in the boot what with all the beer that's already in there) that invade every year here.
Some of the locals hunt year round here to (dispite the best efforts of the fish cops).
Clothing that holds up to farming, tends to hold up to hunting. Esp. the Carhart brand favored in my area.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
I only wear cotton Carhart's or jean's on sunny and warm October days on the plain's chasing antelope. For every other hunt I wear wool whipcord pants (and/or various synthetics) and various wool and/or synthetic uppers. I never wear camo except a 10X Goretex Parka that happens to be camo. The "Bubba Factor" of camo makes me nauseous. As was said, camo is irrelevant because of blaze requirements. For up close and personal bowhunting or in certain varmint situations it certainly makes sense.

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
1894, as far as camo goes, I've alwayas thought the SAS stuff (like you're wearing) is one of the most pleasnat patterns... it's just a great general purpose design. However, for really breaking up the human form I don't think I've ever seen anything better than "Predator"... it works. It lacks the "show room" appeal and "fashion statement" of other camo patterns, but it works like the old WW1 ship camo... big, blocky abstract patterns that the eye can't blend together creating the "grey blob" effect of most camo patterns.

I'd love to hunt the little Roe of Europe... what a neat little deer.

one of us
Picture of Don B
posted Hide Post
Hey, ease up, I'm a city boy, and I don't wear camo to the airport, I won't own anything with that stupid Browning "buck" logo on it, and I don't snicker to all my buddies when the airline people say the city "Regina" in their departure list at the Atlanta airport.
I think most of us avoid the BassPro camo'ed, new magnum toting loudmouth, but I think they live everywhere, city and country (I kind'a think of them as country-boys, because there conversations overheard usually sound about third grade, but that's just my prejudice)
Don

Posts: 218 | Location: Lawrenceville, GA | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don B
posted Hide Post
You know I hate it when guys pick fights on these forums, and that last post of mine was a little too close for me, please disregard.
Don

Posts: 218 | Location: Lawrenceville, GA | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
It all depends on where, what, when and how. When hunting birds over dogs, I will wear whatever is comfortable (jeans and a heavy shirt, usually).

Antelope and early deer season is a bugger. You can go from freezing or dewy mornings to 90 degree afternoons. I've almost decided on zip off pants for those hunts. What to do with the "cast-off's" during the day is a big issue, always.

For elk, surplus wool pants with a heavy gore-tex coat. You can go from 80's and dry to rain and cold, to blowing snow, and back in a day. Wool is really the only type pants I trust. With Polypropalene underneath.

For boots, it's all 9" gore tex, either to keep the cactus and rocks of the ankles, or the snow out.

Some of it is camo, simply because so much good stuff is now made in camo. It isn't going to hurt, that's for sure. FWIW, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen,

I'm not to wild about the "Gucciflage" and hope manufacturers starts to offer their clothes in more grey, green and brown colours. For those who feel's the need Cabela's even has bed sets in the latest camo patterns Big Grin

For the casual stalking I use dark olive green moleskin (military surplus stuff) trousers and a smock/jacket in dark olive or Danish flektarn pattern. I use hood or patrol hat with a fine net over and a pair of flight gloves to cover up, also serves as great protection against pesky mosquito's. Social hunts requires a different dress code, when you are in Rome do as the Romans roflmao

I think breeks are great and hope more manufacturers would offer them

Cheers,
/JOHAN

PS.-Any member who knows where flight gloves could be procured at a decent price?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The dress in the field in this province changes from night today in a matter of two weeks. Complete camo can only be worn in the bow season for deer here in September and October. When the rifle season starts at the end of October for deer you have to wear blaze orange coat or vest and a blaze orange hat. When rifle season starts for deer the rain starts as well so dry foot wear is a must. A water proof coat of some sorts as well with insulation. The time middle of November comes rain has switched to snow and it can be as cold as -15° celceus. The wind can chill you to the bone here as well coming off the Atlantic.

I miss hunting in B.C.

Posts: 84 | Location: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
"Dress in the field"!
Hell, I wouldn't wear a dress in the field or outta the field. Hunters wearing dresses, whats this world coming to!

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread - Most pictures are taken after the hunt is over, packs, binoculars, gloves may be present but don't figure in most pictures not taken in very inclement weather.
Cleaning and dragging out game tends to be warmer than walking exertion and off go outer layers normally.

As far as Camoflage - I like the broken pattern and believe it keeps animals from spotting you sitting in a brushy or open setting.

But I was surprised a few years ago when I started wearing olive color mil Surplus wool pants hunitng in all kinds of weather. They adapt beutifully to freezing (-10F) then much warmer (50F) conditions. Layering is always the key to changing conditions.

I agree with most everyone that comfort and performance are what count.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I like to wear the camouflage that the Marine Corps issued me 20-some-odd years ago (yes, some of it still fits!), but recently bought a new set of Marine Corps utilities. I like to do most of my wild boar hunting up close and personal with either a handgun or one of my open sited big bores. I believe in stalking so I don't think not wearing cammo is an option. Now, if all the hunting I did was long-range (you can never know what you'll face in the field), perhaps I wouldn't wear camouflage.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For rifle hunting (It's usually cold here in Montana during late Oct and Nov.) I wear camo when the only way I can get the fabric and/or cut and design of the garment is by purchasing it in camo.

For hot weather antelope, summer hiking and fishing I like to wear desert pattern military BDU's (generally just the pants) because the clothing is well designed for crawling around and I can get it cheap.

Remember, cotton kills in cold, wet conditions. After the first couple of weeks of antelope sesaon or if the weather turns sour, synthetics, wool and polar fleese only for me thanks.

I switched to desert camo military BDU's for bow hunting a few years ago because I noticed something. All the trademarked "high-tec" so-called "realistic" camo is very dark in basic tone. If you look at it at a distance it appears almost black. If this was the ideal tone for NA game hunting, why are mountain lions a light to medium tan?

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
One thing I've learned in over thirty years of hunting is that there's no one to impress up there on the mountain. I dress for function first, foremost, and always -- not some stuffy masquerade party.

In the southwestern and western U.S. and Mexico during (early mule deer, elk, and pronghorn season), I always wear camo clothes, tan suspenders, and a cap -- sometimes a felt hat, and usually Danner Light Hiker boots.

For spring bear and late-season elk hunting, or for combo hunts up North, I almost always wear Filson whipcord wool pants (heavier wool pants when it's cold), suspenders, a Worstelon shirt, fleece and/or wool outerwear, poly-pro long underwear (type and weight varies with the weather), wool/sythetic blend socks -- whatever it takes to layer properly and maintain body heat when wet. If someone doesn't like the way I look -- well, too bad!

The only time I try to sort of dress for the occasion is in Africa -- but other than a safari shirt I look like I can straight out of the U.S. I won't wear shorts, zip-off pants, or cargo pants, but usually Levi, Lee, or Wrangler jeans, plus Russell or Danner boots, Churchill gloves (always on my belt at least), and some sort of ball cap. My jacket for Africa is from Frontier Gear of Alaska. It's no "proper" bush jacket, but it certainly does work early and late in the day.......

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wear a orange coat and a orange hat

Posts: 64 | Location: Utah | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
What I wear depends on the conditions. In Africa, it was hot and sunny, so blue jeans and a long sleeve khaki shirt was fine. Spring bear in Canada, it is cold and wet, so insulated, waterproof camo works great, deer in South Texas, jeans and long sleeve shirt due to the sun and insects. Camo really does not matter, your scent and the unpredictable wind does. To each their own, if you like something else and it works, GREAT!

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd say style of dress in the field should be to be best prepared for the conditions your hunting in. Myself, I subscribe to I'd rather have it and not need than to need and not have. I occasionally get some funny looks when coming across others in the field and they see my load bearing gear. So whatever, wear what you want to wear if you think it works.

Posts: 168 | Location: People's Republic of New Jersey | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I lived in Oklahoma, I hunted in jeans, but that's dry country. Now I hunt the Pacific Northwest, where rain and its attendant misery are the rule, and I never hunt in jeans. I've hunted in Filson wool a fair amout. It keeps you warm when it's wet, but it gets heavy fast and it's always bulky. I recently switched to polypro long handles, a lightweight fleece jacket, a North Face Guide's Jacket and GI surplus green ripstop pants. Unlike jeans, these pants are light, thin and they dry quickly if you're moving. I can't stand to sit still when I hunt, so they work well for me.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailgunner:

Offensive phrase not aimed at you (or other stalkers/game keepers).

Tailgunner - many thanks, I'm probably unduly sensitive as there are the same bozos over here who appear cammed up at the range when normal people would be wearing shorts....

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
I agree with Allen. Function is primary. That being said, I wear camo when bowhunting and when rifle hunting in southern NM. I would rather most of the "hunters" during deer season NOT see me as they don't seem to be able to tell a doe from a buck from a hunter from a horse from a cow from a water tank! I don't like the "bubba factor" and I don't like bubba shooting in my direction! Yes, I've had to take cover on more than one occasion in the Sacramentos! Mad

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote