New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet choice
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is the consensus on using the 440 gr Woodleigh SP, 0.510" diameter bullet for elk? Muzzle velocity would be 2500 fps.

Thanks

Posts: 1662 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I believe it would kill an elk.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is your concern that it won't kill an elk dead enough or that it will bounce off? Need to clear up the question a bit! killpc

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
The last hunted animal I saw wearing chobham (SP?) armour was a long way from anywhere a permit was needed. And it had the skin of a dead tank between it and the armour. Short of that, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Should get the job done if you hold your tongue just right.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Well you know that the elk have started wearing body armour and it would probably be just the ticket except of course the velocity is to slow, and you really should look into MRX's. stir Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The concern was/is whether the bullet would be tough enough at that velocity.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Do you want to walk through the hole it leaves or ride your horse?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How big of a hole do you think it would generate?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
stir

Somebody feeling mischievous today? beer

I'll play.
How about a 100gr TSX .243 caliber?

In all seriousness, I think you could use any bullet that weighs 440gr and kill any thin skinned critter.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
100gr TSX??????? Hell all ya need is a core-lock! killpc

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SDhunter,
No, I am sincerely interested in opinions, with regard, to this Woodleigh bullet holding up in an elk with the muzzle velocity at 2500 fps. I think some of the responses may have been "mischievous", but oh well I find them humorous at least.

Don, unfortunately I don't believe the 6mm to be an adequate elk gun. Perhaps I am simply too incompetent a rifleman for such a caliber as 6mm. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should try the 6mm with the 440gr Woodleigh bullet! yankees