New
Find
Notify
Tools

Missouri Wild Hogs?
 Login/Join

<thomas purdom>
posted
I've got a friend living in Columbia, Mo., who wants to hunt wild hogs on either public lands, or free-access lands in Missour, preferably close to his home in the central part of the state. He does not know where to go. He contacted Mo. wildlife people and he keeps getting the runaround. So, were exactly can he go where there are good numbers of wild hogs? Thanks ... Tom Purdom

[ 07-13-2003, 02:18: Message edited by: thomas purdom ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Mo Dept of Conservation is trying to eradicate
the wild hog population in Missouri(they consider them vermin). If your friend can get access to the Fort Leonard Wood Army Base at St. Roberts, that would be the best chance for a hog. I don't know what the regulations are since 9/11 and the terrorist alert.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I live very close to where the original hogs got loose from a preserve, people ,including me and I know the place like the back of my hand, have hunted hard to get one but I've never heard of one being killed or even seen. Those that have been reported also seems to be in the Fort Lenard Wood area. One truck driver I know says he sees them at night along the Hy near Boss Mo. and even hit a few with his truck. If you want to hunt. The area South of council bluff lake is supposed to be a good spot. Just give me call and I will put you in the middle of where they are supposed to be.( some locals say they have killed them driviving the old logging roads at night and shooting them over the cab of the pick up.)

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tom,

There is a map of estimated hog populations at the end of this article:
http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/landown/wild/nuisance/hogs/

When the "Feral Hog" story first hit the papers about 10 years ago, a few of us hog-hunting rookies spent a weekend at the Irish Wilderness area near Doniphan, MO (almost to Arkansas). We hiked many, many miles on the trails and saw some sign, but no hogs.

A friend has some land in the Mark Twain National Forest near Potosi, MO, and saw one two years ago during firearms deer season. We see sign down there occasionally.

From what I hear, Ft. Leonard Wood is currently the best place to try to take a hog in MO, but you need a special Fort hunting permit, phone number is in this link:
http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/faq/links/pages/Detailed/44.html

Though Feral hogs are not listed in the MDC wildlife code, you may not trespass, or use spotlights or night-vision equipment to take them.

I hope he shoots a bucnh of them!

Regards, Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote