New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mountain lion gun
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is your favorite mountain lion rifle and caliber ? Is a .35 remington overkill ?

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not particularly. You can do the job with your .35 remington or nearly anything. Lions are not hard to kill if you make a good shot. I took mine with a .44 remington Magnum handgun (one shot).

Most of my money I spent on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted

Posts: 261 | Location: Saint Thomas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
35 rem would work well as would most calibers I think a nice light weight carbine with a good bullet. Is just about perfect.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Some of the guys around here who run dogs like a .22 Mag revolver. When I first heard that I was surprised but they tell me it works great and is easy to carry when you're running after a pack.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
.30-30 would be a good choice but a .35 rem would work just fine.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
308 Winchester, iron sights, 180 gr bullet.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Austin,
Is that a model 100 Winchester? My old hunting partner had one that was her only gun.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My family used to do quite a bit of cougar hunting in CO on a ranch they used to own. Mostly cattle killers. A .22 pistol was used to do the shooting most the time since they were easy to carry. Cougars aren't too hard to kill. Put just about any bullet in the lungs and down they come.

Posts: 1351 | Location: CO born, but in Athens, TX now. | Registered: 03 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
Austin,
Is that a model 100 Winchester? My old hunting partner had one that was her only gun.

Yes - Model 100. Sold it several years ago. It was very temperature sensitive in terms of POI. Ok for iron sights and cat, but not good for deer hunting on a cold morning.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About 1/3 of the hound hunters I know use a 22 long rifle when cat hunting. Me, I use a modified GP-100 ruger pistol in 38 special, during lion and bobcat, and 357 during bear and lion. Nobody I know uses anything but a pistol. North central idaho is a miserable place for packing a rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It surprises me that a 22 is so widely used. I learn something new everyday.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
See if there is a caliber restriction dictated by the state. Usually whether they are classified as big game or varmints, clarifies your options.
Most successful hunts are conducted with hounds without question, followed by lucky hunters pursuing other game and running into them by accident. Baiting if legal and lastly calling, whether electronic or manuel calls it is becoming more successful.
As a houndsman with red bone hounds my experience is mostly chasing bears. My partners where I learned from were a grizzled bunch and lived for the chase. They would occasionally be hired by the Fish and wildlife to thin the cat population in Nevada ruby mountains etc... that was years ago regretfully they all have passed.
I showed up for my first bear hunt with them carrying a Sako AV 7mm Rem. Mag. with Mcmillan stock. Instantly they questioned me on why I brought such a nice rifle. My answer was:" that's the only rifle I own", granted that was then. I got schooled pretty quick. Houndsmen usually run hand to mouth. Meaning money was always scarce and usually spent on gas. Most of them were mechanics and they stated: Charles we've tried everything and the best vehicle for dependability and gas mileage that can go anywhere is the Toyota 4x4 straight axle pre 1982 with the little 4 cylinder 2.2 engine. Guns were not a collector item. Mostly a Ruger single actioned pistol, blued with a 6" barrel in a crossdraw military type holster with the outside flap in 44mag. some had .357mag's. Many have used the .22LR, .22Mag, 30-30's, .35rem, .375win and 12gauge shotguns single shot or Mossbergs. They all worked. They shot enough game that preserving the hide or skull did not mean anything. Shooting a large 12gauge slug hole through the entire skull was acceptable. Old military surplus rifles that used to be bought for less than a $100 bucks were also common. Basically they hunted in small groups 2-4 hunters all were packing and you can get away with any caliber because someone always has your back. Guns were only tools and they were drug through the worst brush to get to their beloved dogs which also were a great investment.
If hunting alone I would choose the .44Mag. over the other pistols hands down.
A .35 Rem will work great and increase your range if needed. If hunting without hounds I would carry a rifle to increase your odds of connecting at longer range and also carry a sidearm. If in the forrest and short range is the norm then your rifle is perfect. If the potential is for slightly open country then a Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55 with high Sectional Density, great penetration, light recoil and fast would be an option. In fact most centerfire rifles within reason will work fine.

The real question is all calibers will work when the conditions are perfect and you have the time to pick your shot. Especially when you have dogs to distract them or other hunters to pitch in if needed. When alone and you accidentally run into an older cat with diminished hunting ability and is starved and considers you the easy meal for it's survival. Or protecting it's kill or young, injured or cornered then all bets are off and I would choose a tool that will handle the situation that you feel comfortable with. For some a double rifle 500 Nitro is not enough. At the end it is always your call and what makes you comfortable in any situation. Safe hunting.

Posts: 1024 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.32 Special! Why? Because that is what I used!

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote