Find
Notify
Tools

Iraq Sucks
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted
120mm, my buddy over here with me, told me of "Gemsbok hunting" in Iraq. I thought he was on drugs. Gemsbok? In Iraq? And I'd never found it in all my Internet searches for Gemsbok hunting in recent years??? Nah. Couldn't be. However, he said there's an article in Field & Stream about some of "our guys" (servicemen) doing it over here. I had him find me the article. Well, it wasn't Gemsbok/Oryx, it was Grant's Gazelle, on Saddam's "private game preserve" outside of Tikrit, his hometown. Great. I can maybe do some hunting. Oh, how I want to hunt something (of a "game" nature). Then I read the article. The place is being used for interrogations now. No more hunting.

Iraq sucks.

Russ [Frown]

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
No doubt it sucks, Russ, but it's unlikely you'll ever forget your time there... [Roll Eyes]

Iran has some Ibex, doesn't it? Any chance there are some in Iraq? I don't know much about hunting in Iraq, I am afraid [Frown]

Take care,
Clarke

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Russel, stay out of harms way, will ya?? We'd like to have you back in one piece!

The Arabian Peninsular used to have Oryx (probably Scimitar Horned Oryx). I think they got shot up pretty badly in the last decades, and are probably (hopefully) now protected. I seem to recall attempts to reintroduce them?? Don't know where that leaves the desert areas further north? It seems like every man and his dog has a gun in Iraq, that combined with less than optimal institutions is probably not the best precondition for game conservation??

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, Russ. I hate to get your hopes up like that. For the rest of the group, the soldier involved was a cook for a unit that harvested a gazelle a day with his 9mm pistol on the Saddam preserve, emptied spices out of MREs and cooked them in a pit with the spices rubbed on the meat. According to the article in Field and Stream, they were excellent.

BTW-anyone know a good recipe for Saddam Fedeyeen? We have a few that need harvesting and I'd hate to have all that meat go to waste....

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an old family recipe that my dad used when cooking snow geese, should work fine for Fedeyeen. First you must clean(if possible) the carcass. Remove inards, extremities and all hair. Skinning is optional. Get 8-10 roof shingles. Strap the carcass to the shingles. Roast over an open fire until crispy. Cooking time varies, but try 30 minutes per every 10 pounds of weight. Once done cooking, throw away the carcass and eat the shingles! Invite the locals and have a feast [Razz]

one of us
posted Hide Post
120mm,

Best recipe for Saddam Fedeyeen is to stuff 'em with ground pork, and leave 'em out to roast in the desert sun for eternity.

They cook much quicker in the fires of Hell, but the recipe still requires continous roasting for eternity. [Smile]

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
I don't have a recipe for Saddam Fedeyeen, but please take my advice to let them hang well... [Cool]

[ 09-08-2003, 23:36: Message edited by: Marterius ]

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote