New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colorado OTC
 Login/Join

Picture of Deertick-1
posted
I'm looking at Colorado for an OTC (Over-the-counter) tag for 2006. From what I read, everyone else has 12 preference points and is looking for a trophy area.

For me ... it'd be the first time after elk and I'd be satisfied wtih a spike. Probably thinking archery season first, but willing to consider using the .338 as well. I've got horses, but plan on camping from the trailer, i.e. roadside.

Of course, I'm not looking for anyone's honey-hole ... just ideas of units to look at. Preferring norther Colorado, as it is closer.

Thanks in advance.

JGH

Posts: 6 | Location: NE | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
course, I'm not looking for anyone's honey-hole ... just ideas of units to look at. Preferring norther Colorado, as it is closer

If you aren't looking for the draw, then do research on the Colorado Wildlife website. I would not suggest archery for the first time. That was my first trip. Was not successful.

I would only do archery or ML on an area I was familiar with and knew where to go based on animal patterns.

Check the records for where the populations are and OTC and pick your choice.

Prayer, planning, preperation, perseverence, proper procedure, and positive attitude, positively prevents poor performance.

Posts: 910 | Location: Oakwood, OK, USA | Registered: 11 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A couple of things to consider, If you are taking horses, be very aware of the laws concerning registered feed. If you are planning to get an OTC tag, it will probably be bull only, which means four points or better. There are units where you can pick up antlerless tags OTC, but you will have to wait until August to find out which ones have left over tags. All in all, even if you don't see an elk, you probably have the best time of your life, elk country is truly "God's Country". Get on the CDOW website and research! Also, you might want to check out, www.elkcamp.com Good luck!

DGK

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote