THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Hunters add to woes of dwindling polar bears

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunters add to woes of dwindling polar bears
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hunters add to woes of dwindling polar bears
4:00AM Monday Mar 23, 2009
Jerome Taylor

From The New Zealand Herald

Boyd Warner treasures the memory of killing his first polar bear. It was 2003. For days he had stalked his prey on the frozen wastelands north of Pond Inlet, one of Canada's most isolated Inuit communities deep inside the Arctic Circle. His dog team picked up the scent of a 2.4m adult male and they hurtled over the ice: the hunt was on.

"It was one of those beautiful Arctic days," recalled Warner. "We'd had about 14 hours of sunlight and were completely surrounded by nature. The moment of death comes quickly for the bear. You might track one for days through the ice but a single shot to the heart kills it instantly."

For wealthy modern-day trophy hunters, bagging a polar bear is the ultimate kill. Fourteen days in harsh conditions, requiring dog-sleds, Inuit guides and a heated tent camp, does not come cheap: the minimum bill comes to US$35,000 ($62,400).

Warner is the man who helps them do it. Last week, the 45-year-old Canadian, whose company Adventure Northwest is based in Yellowknife, sent this season's first group of hunters to Pond Inlet, where they will track and kill up to six bears. "This is probably the toughest hunt you can ever do," he said. "The weather conditions are appalling and it takes a huge amount of patience. You're living in the Arctic where it can drop to -50C at night and everything is done with sled dogs. It's incredibly gruelling.

"This year we have a lot of Mexicans and Americans but you get hunters from Europe, mainly Norwegians and Poles. They are just genuine, ordinary folk with a lot of cash. They respect the animals enormously."

There are few animals more symbolic of the perils of climate change than the polar bear, which faces destruction as the Arctic sea ice melts away - the bears starve or drown because the distances they have to swim to find prey become too vast. Yet every year scores of wealthy hunters from around the world pay tens of thousands of dollars to travel into the frozen Arctic and bag themselves a coveted polar bear hide.

Canada, home to about 60 per cent of the world's 22,000 polar bears, is the only one of the five polar bear "range states" which allows outsiders to hunt them as a trophy sport. America, Greenland and Russia only allow their native Arctic populations to kill a quota each year and Norway has outlawed stalking.

"I don't enjoy killing animals but I enjoy the hunt," said Warner. "People find that difficult to understand but for me there is no
paradox."

The kill quotas - known as "tags" - are also allotted for Canada's Inuit communities, many of whom choose to legally sell them to outsiders willing to part with enough cash.

"Those 20 bears are going to get killed one way or another because the Inuits depend on them for food during the winter," Warner insisted. "So it shouldn't really matter whether it is the indigenous population that is shooting them or outsiders."

When the animal is killed, usually with a shot to the heart just behind the bear's fore leg, the Inuits use everything apart from the liver, which contains toxic levels of vitamin A and has to be buried.

Most hunters are then allowed to take their polar bear hides back to their own country, so long as they have the completed paperwork. Last year the US banned the importation of polar bear hides but most countries, including Britain, place no restrictions on the skins.

Warner said his business has been hit by the US restrictions. "The American ban on importing polar bear skins has definitely hit the Inuit communities hard. You're not going to part with thousands of dollars if you can't bring your trophy back."

The latest US-led scientific surveys suggest up to two-thirds of all polar bears could be lost by 2050. Tackling the hunting issue has been unpalatable for host governments because of the hunts' traditional role and economic importance in Inuit life.

- INDEPENDENT

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9479 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
propoganda bullshit. fuck those modern day hippies.

Posts: 409 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
come on ,moose,tell us how you really feel. Big Grin thumb

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a disconnect between actions and prudence here. It's well understood that money from hunting helps protect species. I can understand raising or lowering tag numbers to suit populations, but banning imports to the US reduces the polar bear's value as a species (money talks, no matter if you're speaking an Inuit language or English). This will only hurt the bears in the long run.

Andy

posted Hide Post
I saddens me no end to see how the US government actions now routinely seem to inflict the most conceivable harm while providing absolutely no benefit. When I took my polar bear in 2006, the Canadian biologist remarked how fortunate I was, since he felt the ban of trophy import into the US was imminent. His exact quote to me was " I'm amazed how much more you Americans seem to know about the populatiopn of polar Bears than we Canadians who live amoung them and study them intensely".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too saw this comming for many species not only bears and got to experience a sled dog polar bear hunt in 2003.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SG Olds:
I too saw this comming for many species not only bears and got to experience a sled dog polar bear hunt in 2003.

Wow. Did you ever write it up? Love to read about it/see pics.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kamo Gari,

I will try to do something next week if I can. I still have a job and naturally want to keep it.

SG

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SG Olds:
Kamo Gari,

I will try to do something next week if I can. I still have a job and naturally want to keep it.

SG

You can get another job. Now bang that story out already! JK. Look forward to it when you have the time.

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ladies and Gentlemen:

How does this flawed premise that "climate change" is warming up the Artic Ocean and melting its sea ice:

quote:
There are few animals more symbolic of the perils of climate change than the polar bear, which faces destruction as the Arctic sea ice melts away - the bears starve or drown because the distances they have to swim to find prey become too vast. Yet every year scores of wealthy hunters from around the world pay tens of thousands of dollars to travel into the frozen Arctic and bag themselves a coveted polar bear hide.

get us to the conclusion that hunting polar bears dangerously effects their population?

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Isn't there some idiot environmentalist stranded on the Artic ice as we speak. Seems I heard they went up to measure the decline of the pack ice and were weathered in, unable to receive their air resupply. The commentator did mention that the "researchers" were disappointed to report that the pack ice was actually much thicker this year than last. The commentator also mentioned that this particular research team had documented thickening ice for the past several years. Global Warming is pure BS in my opinion.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There has been no significant decrease in the population of Polar Bears for all studies of any regard 'NOAA study synopsis--2008'

In fact, most studies of credible sources indicate that there are as many or MORE polar bears now as at any time in recorded history.

The worst case study I have seen says there MAY have been as many as 30,000- bears during the late 80's, but admitted inaccurate census methodology place that estimate as very specious.
Current, more accurate census data places the current population estimate at 26,000 plus bears. Reality, and the opinion of the learned census takers, feel there is very little decline in Polar Bear populations, and possibly even an increase in all time numbers.
Hunting by non residents being an impact is a joke.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
You guys read all that in Sports Afield? Wink

In any case, there are several sub-populations of polar bears, and the arctic ice is retreating differently in different areas. This seems to be most evident in the Beaufort Sea area, along the Alaska North Slope. While the reverse may be true in Canada, the US has to make laws which affect the US polar bear population.

I will agree that the CITES permits for bears killed in Canada should have continued to be issued, but if a person wishes to go shoot a polar bear in Canada, there's nothing stopping them but money.

Brian

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote