Find
Notify
Tools

Tigers in America
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted
I always heard rumors of some canned tiger hunts and these are probably the people that helped make it happen.

Tiger King on Netflix is an entire new level of crazy people in America. Something that I would normally not watch but was told by a doctor friend to mix a drink and sit down and watch this show. I could not stop laughing at some of it and the next moment you are picking you jaw up off the floor.

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
We watched a few episodes last night. Some people are "exotic".
Tough to take the teeth.

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 864 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I always heard rumors of some canned tiger hunts and these are probably the people that helped make it happen.

The closest I saw was some nut case owned a animal rescue place with lions,tigers, bears and things.

Went off the deep end released them all then shot himself.

Local cops got to shoot all kinds of things.

To bad it was two states away I would have loved to exercise my 416.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This thread reminds me of the movie...
“Second Hand Lion”

If you’ve never seen it, find a copy and watch it. You’ll enjoy it.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 961 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

The closest I saw was some nut case owned a animal rescue place with lions,tigers, bears and things.

I contemplated having a relative gunsmith build me a .375 for that off chance that a dangerous game animal gets out of one of the zoos in the state maybe just maybe they would let me be the trigger man, figured it would be my only way to hunt dangerous game haha.

i haven't watched any of the episodes yet but did hear an interview on the radio with a sheriff that dealt with the guy. the sheriff said the owner would come down to the jail bail out some transient when he needed laborers

Posts: 178 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: 14 July 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I contemplated having a relative gunsmith build me a .375 for that off chance that a dangerous game animal gets out of one of the zoos in the state maybe just maybe they would let me be the trigger man, figured it would be my only way to hunt dangerous game haha.

I told the wife I built my 416 to keep the elephants out of the garden.

She said we don't have any elephants in the garden.

I said see it's working.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Tell me that I am not the only person here that takes a double rifle, goes down to the park and sits in their truck every summer when the circus is setting up on the off chance that an elephant or lion goes nuts and needs to be "stopped".

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
There is a big cat 'sanctuary' not far from where I live. I heard they take in old circus animals. I have not been to visit it yet but will, someday.

~Ann

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
There are several sources of exotic animals in Texas and almost anything can be had for $$$$.
Cape buff to giraffe for example. Not cheap, but available .

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I have heard of a lot of really strange things like white lipped deer, red forest hogs, and blue sheep.

A friend is a MD who owns some exotics in Georgia, she told me because she wasn't a hunter and was a benefactor of the San Diego zoo, that she could get anything she wanted from them on their overstock list, this was about 20 years ago.

I wonder how it would go today.

The Seattle zoo has golden Takin, and I think goral or serow.

There are some strange things out there.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim629:
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
[QUOTE]I always heard rumors of some canned tiger hunts and these are probably the people that helped make it happen.

i haven't watched any of the episodes yet but did hear an interview on the radio with a sheriff that dealt with the guy. the sheriff said the owner would come down to the jail bail out some transient when he needed laborers[/QUOT

When I was in Law School a lion got loose from the Cincinnati Zoo. I had my 450 Nitro with me. He was put down with a trank gun.

Posts: 11389 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
We are friends with the people that own Mogo zoo in Australia.

They had to shoot a big tom lion that got into the carpark.

He is mounted in their house.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, there are some whack jobs out there.

While not a canned hunt, we did have an experience with a total lunatic involving tigers.

About 25 years ago, I took my oldest son, then 10 on a turkey hunt in south Texas. We met the owner/guide at a local diner. He indicated we were a little early. We should go back to check on his dog and his cat. While I thought this was a bit strange, what was I supposed to do? Off we go to his ranch.

His "cat" was a full grown Bengal tiger. These things are huge. We went in the pen with the tiger. His face was level with mine. This tiger was way bigger than any lion I have ever seen.

I detected something was not right. My suspicions were confirmed a couple of years later. They found this guy dead in his house. He was sitting on his couch with a dead buck across his lap. On top of the buck was a tray totally covered in cocaine. He had overdosed. Was I surprised? No!

Posts: 12022 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was a gentleman on AR, I think from Dallas, who was on the escaped dangerous animal swat team.

Posts: 11389 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote