New
Find
Notify
Tools

Calling moose
 Login/Join

<Win94>
posted
Fellas, i was wondering if some of you folks could shed some light on calling moose during the rut. Have any of you tried the homemade tin can and shoe lace call?? My grandfather swore by this and i was wondering if any of you have tried it??

posted Hide Post
It works abit but it leaves you tied to one dialog. Check this site out , order the one " In the Company of Moose " and prctice , practice , practice.(in the garage) This is a must have for the serious moose hunter , to much info. to pass up. You won't be sorry. Bowzer
http://www.giselebenoit.com/eng/01indexen.html
http://www.giselebenoit.com/eng/10order.html

[ 05-08-2003, 07:02: Message edited by: Bowzer ]

Posts: 15 | Location: Saskatchewan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
I've used the home made can call before. It works but so does just using your cupped hands and letting out a grunt or a cow wale. The best advantage of that can is it's nice and loud but it's a pain in the ass to carry around and if it's metal, don't drop it.

I don't carry a call at all having called in countless moose with my own grunt. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The tin can does work (sounds like a moose cow)
boileroom is right, it is a pain to carry around . You are better off learning to call using either a birchbark cone or one of the commercial calls.

these guys ( (below) have a good CD rom about moose calling:

http://www.buckexpert.com/Pages/welcome.htm

I visited their place two years back they have moose in a compound in their back yard that they use to develop calls.

Gisele Benoit is the lady that talks to moose isn't she?

merde (good hunting in quebecois)

RH

[ 05-08-2003, 15:27: Message edited by: rockhead ]

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hold both nostrals closed with index fingers---cup hands around mouth--blow from your throat, a long (15 sec.)call =cow-----short grunt (3 x)=bull

Posts: 510 | Location: pa | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just bend over, and do your very best imitation of the dry heaves... [Big Grin] ....take a bucket of water, stand on the corner of the pickup box, and slowly pour it, so it sounds like a moose taking a leak.....take an old moose horn and bonk it around in the willows and against a dry tree or two...then get down in yer foxhole and wait! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 5763 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,
I would be willing to give you some pointers on calling moose. If you are serious then e-mail me and then we can further discuss calling moose.
I would scrap the can. A plastic jug works better but I would scrap that too.
Almost anyone can call in a moose but to call in the top dog or the "big boy" take some knowledge and skill(sometimes luck).

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote