New
Find
Notify
Tools

WY second choice Antelope options
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking at a DIY Antelope hunt in WY next year. I have 4 points but do not want to burn them yet. Looking for a fun hunt, not trophy's on this trip but good representative animals. 14" goats would make us happy. Myself and a couple of others are in good shape and do not mind doing a bit of walking. Might be a couple of other older guys who tag along who are not in great shape. Any tips on how to work the second choice draws? Paying a small trespass few would be fine with me. Thanks in advance.
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Click on the G&F link below and the Regular Random Draw Odds will come up. Go down that list and mark down all the units that had more tags available than the number of first choice applicants and subtract to see how many tags that left for second and third choice applicants. Those tags would go to second choice applicants first and if any are still left they then get drawn by the third choice applicants. After you have those numbers then go into the Hunt Planner on the G&F site and click on each of those units and you can find out all about each one as far as % of public ground, access to it, terrain, etc. Of course to draw a second choice I assume you already know that you need to put a unit down that takes a ton of PPs for your first choice. IF you happen to draw it in the Random Draw after you're in the PP Draw you lose your points, but would be hunting in a premo unit. It's doubtful because of the small number of tags that would be in that draw, but not impossible.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/medi...T_RD_NONRES_2018.pdf

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wyo is over 80% public lands. Free access,
YOU already OWN that as a taxpayer.
There's no need to pay anyone anything to access a place to hunt antelope in Wyo. Save your money for other things.

Just about all of us would be tickled to shoot a 14" buck. Sure we've seen such many times. Usually not within range, or season. Very seldom works out when they are.

Follow what was said in the last post. Mighty good suggestions.

Prepare yourself and guns for 400 yard shots in the wide open. IF you can make those, you'll do just fine as most shots are half that.

For the guys that can't walk much, drive 'em around and find a place they can sit and watch big country and stay out of sight while watching the game move around. Snacks, water, warm clothes, binocs, whatever it takes to stay comfortable for half a day. Cell phones too, don't know how well Wyo phone coverage is. May or may not be. Pay attention you don't lose track of where you let these guys out.

Best of luck to all of you.

Here in CO, the points are not lost if you draw a second choice. OR it didn't use to be back in '11 the last I hunted. Can't say for sure what changes may have been made since.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6024 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That helped Top-gun, was able to narrow it down to a dozen or so units pretty quickly. Looks like some area you can grab a deer tag easy enough as well. Thanks for the help.
Steve

George,
I hunt public lands pretty regularly, the access game and the draw itself is a bit different in WY than here in CO. I do not hunt Antelope very much but have killed quite a few 14" bucks. I have shot some at a distance but hope to get close on this hunt and do it with an open sighted single shot. The last one I killed was well inside 20 yards.
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote