THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Alberta removes cartridge length restrictions

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alberta removes cartridge length restrictions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
" The minimum cartridge case length for big game has been removed. The minimum .23 calibre requirement remains in effect."
-2003 Alberta Guide to hunting regulations-

Up untill this year it was unlawful to hunt big game in Alberta with a cartridge of less than 1.75" or 44mm. I am curious what brought this change about, could it possible be related to the introduction of the 243 WSSM? That seems unlikely.

What does everybody think of cartridge restrictions for hunting big game, and this change?

All I know is that this year my mulie doe is gonna git it with a 300gr xtp from the 45 colt lever gun.

cheers,
thomas

[ 07-29-2003, 14:16: Message edited by: Thomas ]

Posts: 248 | Location: Republic of Alberta | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quebec has .30 minimum for moose. I get a calf permit but can't use 7mm mag. Likewise I have been told 338 is no good for lion in several African countries.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Cartridge restrictions always puzzle me. I can understand soem of the "shotgun or muzzleloader only" safety restrictions, but it seems that as soon as one of these laws are made, hunters try ot defeat them. [Wink] Case in point, inline muzzleloaders and sabot/rifled shotguns [Razz]

In BC you can hunt any big game with a centerfire cartridge. The only restriction is bison, which must be a minimum 175gr bullet, so the 7mmRM and up is legal.

But for the rest, you can use a .22 hornt if you wish. But shotguns are only allowed for cougar, coyote, lynx , bobcat, deer and black bear- can't use them on moose or elk, sheep or goat or grizzly...Frankly I'd feel more comfy using a 12 guage with slugs on a moose than a .223, but I didn't write the regs. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thomas,
Quite possibly they changed it because Alberta finally got someone who knew something in a position to do so! Jay is real excited because now he can hunt with one of his beloved 6BRs. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3783 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jay does love his 6br's. But I thought he and rick had all but given up on hunting edible game in favor of calling yoties!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 248 | Location: Republic of Alberta | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote