Find
Notify
Tools

Ultimate Bison Rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Seamus O'Grady
posted
This is a subject that doesn't seem to get much attention. How about a .416 Rigby in a bolt gun or a .50 something in a lever?

Posts: 567 | Location: Washington | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Although I have never hunted Bison, I would love to hunt one with a Shilo Sharps replica rifle, the way they used to be hunted. 45/90 or something similar would be quite adequate. Just hit them in the right place!

Sincerely,

Buell

Posts: 935 | Location: USA | Registered: 03 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I took a bull Bison last year and I took it with a lever 1895 Marlin in the classic 45-70. I hand loaded a 405 Grn D&J hard cast lead at 1330 FPS . The buffalo was shot at about 75 yards, the first shot was an angling away shot which appeared to have little effect, the second shot was at about the same range, broadside mid-body just behind the front shoulders in the heavy fur area of the chest....spectacular,the bull which weighed about 1600 pounds shook on impact, staggered about 5 yards and went down for keeps. I would not have wanted to hunt bison with any other caliber ) or load(maybe a classic 50-120, since how american can you get. Another point, 5 days before we left for the hunt the ejector on this rifle must have fell out the last time I had cleaned the gun and as a results the expended cartridge would not be ejected. A panic call to Marlin was made but the factory was closed for the weekend, so I explained my situation and on the following tuesday I received the replacement part no charge. My hat is off to Marlin on a job well done,

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seamus O'Grady:
This is a subject that doesn't seem to get much attention. How about a .416 Rigby in a bolt gun or a .50 something in a lever?

the ultimate Bison rifle:
 -

This one is .45-2.6" (aka .45-100), loaded with 550 gr paper patched bullets and about 97 grns of black powder.

Frankly, a .416 rigby or any bolt gun would definitely seem out of place. And since you said "ultimate" it has to be something ascetically appropriate. Bison deserve to be hunted with style. Otherwise, you might just as well use a .50 bmg

Lever guns, while perfectly capable, are a bit too "new" as well. Most of the bison were pretty much long gone before anyone showed up with levers, and even then, they were whimpy levers in .44 rf and .44-40 etc. No self respecting bison hunter would use a .44 Henry - Dances of Wolves not withstanding.

Brent

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote